Corrosive Ammo

This is a discussion on Corrosive Ammo within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all, I've never worked with corrosive ammo before, and I'm trying to get a better understanding of it. My first and only gun right ...

Thread: Corrosive Ammo

Corrosive Ammo

Hello all,

I've never worked with corrosive ammo before, and I'm trying to get a better understanding of it. My first and only gun right now is my Mossberg 500. Normally when I clean it I have a hand towel that I dab in Hoppee's 9 solvent and clean out the chamber with, then I wipe the chamber clean with the dry corner of the towel. Afterwards I apply some lub, spread it around with my fingers, work the action make sure the lub gets everywhere.

Anyway, I wanted to get a rifle, but didn't want to spend alot of money, I mainly wanted somethign to take to the range and beat the hell out of it, so I picked up a Mosin-Nagant after a bunch of people told me they how fun they were. Well I'm most likely going to be shooting the corrosive stuff since I don't wanna pay $22 box for a box the the premium winchester stuff and my question is, can I use the same towel, using the same method that I use for my shotgun on both guns, without risking corrosion to my shotgun?

TL:DR - If I use a towel to wipe down and clean a gun that fired corrosive ammo, can I use that same towel right afterwards and clean another gun without risk of spreading the corrosive materials to the second gun?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

make sure you clean the barrel out as well i usually used a brush followed up by running some hoppes soaked patches thru till tou dont get anymore black stuff and but i dont see why it wouldnt work though you may have a hard time getting a finger in the chamber though

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Surely you can come up with another towel??? You also better check the proper procedure for cleaning where corrosive ammo is involved. It's my understanding that soap and water are involved, that solvent isn't effective enough.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

[__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

That is what I picked up on. I keep a small hair spray bottle with windex in it. Both the water and the ammonia help neutralize the salts.

Some ranges do not allow cleaning of weapons, so I just got in the habit of spraying the barrel, gas ports, bolt....pretty much gave it a bath in windex, then repeat with WD40 to remove the water, then do a through cleaning with the windex again, and follow up with gunzillia when I get home.

PSL and Mosin 91/30.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Sweet's 7.62 solvent works well for the corrosive ammo. That's what it was made for. As with any ammonia bases solvents (like the Sweet's), in a chrome lined bore...be sure to follow up with something that will neutralize the ammonia. CLP is good for this actually. I'm an advocate of using Gunzilla on everything, but have not tested it on corrosive remnants since I usually avoid using the corrosive ammo if at all possible.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you can only afford one cleaning towel, you certainly can't afford to spend money on ammo, corrosive or not.

Save your ratty underwear. It's good for more than waxing cars.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Solvent CAN work, but it is a chore. Windex works pretty well, but you will want to neutralize that as soon as possible. After going through with the brush, I run patches through it until it comes out clean.

91/30 owner.

Links