Interesting response from the creators of 'Rookie Blue"

This is a discussion on Interesting response from the creators of 'Rookie Blue" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some of you may have seen previews for the ABC television show “Rookie Blue” it’s actually not a bad show. I know nothing about the ...

Thread: Interesting response from the creators of 'Rookie Blue"

Some of you may have seen previews for the ABC television show “Rookie Blue” it’s actually not a bad show. I know nothing about the Toronto PD so I have not a clue how accurate it is on that aspect (apparently Canadian cops have to have permission to take their handguns home) but they’ve made a few gun blunders and I commented on their FB page.

I actually got a response from the show’s executive producer thanking me for watching and telling me that they are trying to make the gun handling a little more realistic. I was very surprised to get any response and I mentioned that I was dreading the episode in which they start talking about “cop killer bullets” I received this response from another of the show’s producers

David Wellington We knew going in about the reality here but decided to let this legendary bit of movie mythology live on a little longer in service to the story. No less an august motion picture than Ronin used the same device. We're always walking a line between verisimilitude and entertainment and, granted, on Rookie Blue it's a big juicy line. That said... See More Not sure why it wouldn’t copy the rest of the paragraph but he basically says it’s a good episode ignore that scene and watch it anyway.
    I thought it was interesting that they knew that this was fiction and did it anyway ot maybe I think it's interesting that they admitted it was fiction.

Senior Moderator
    Thats the thing about TV. You make reality whatever you want it be...whether it is right or wrong is irrevelant.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Thats the thing about TV. You make reality whatever you want it be...whether it is right or wrong is irrevelant.

This is the first time I've seen them admit that "cop killers"aren't real
    most antis (don't know that these folks are) swear up and down they're widely available to any gang banger

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    You don't think deadheads sitting in front ot the boob tube want to see reality, do you? Where would be the entertainment factor in that? How long before that blow up a car with a single pistol shot? Gotta have that to be real TV.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You don't think deadheads sitting in front ot the boob tube want to see reality, do you? Where would be the entertainment factor in that? How long before that blow up a car with a single pistol shot? Gotta have that to be real TV.
    In two episodes they've had one shot fired and that was a slam fire into a clearing barrel

And when have you ever seen a TV show or movie where the sound of gunfire is realistically loud? How can you have banter and dialog when people's ears are ringing and temporarily deaf? That's a degree of truth I doubt we'll ever see...
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

I watched the first episode, a Rookie cop on her first day on the job with her hands handcuffed in front of her and someone holding a gun on her.
    She picked up a piece of wire from the floor in front of her while a nervous kid had a gun trained on her and picked her cuffs and then out drew the assailant and held him at gun point.

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    I watched the first episode, a Rookie cop on her first day on the job with her hands handcuffed in front of her and someone holding a gun on her.
    She picked up a piece of wire from the floor in front of her while a nervous kid had a gun trained on her and picked her cuffs and then out drew the assailant and held him at gun point.
    She was able to out draw him because he had an SAO pistol and it wasn't cocked. That was the gunblunder I commented on

VIP Member
    The fact is, most of them KNOW they are "doing it wrong," they just don't care. Reality gets in the way of story telling.

As an example, one of my history professors (a leading WWII authority) was called on by Steven Spielberg to look at Saving Private Ryan, and comment on it's historical accuracy. My professor watched some post-production footage, and pointed out some pretty glaring inaccuracies. The response? "Yes, I know those things are wrong, but they LOOK GOOD." This from Spielberg, who is arguably more knowledgeable than most when it comes to this sort of thing, and certainly has the money to "make it right."
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

It's the little stuff that drives me nuts. Stuff like flipping the safety off on a GLOCK or not cocking a 1911, come on dude you have the damn gun in your hand, you know damn good and well that GLOCK Doesn't have a safety on it.

Realistically, why correct things that ninety per cent or more of the audience will never notice.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm sure they'll also have revolvers with silencers, revolvers with safeties and of course .44 magnums that go through engine blocks. Whatever happened to the good ole days of six shooters that never ran out of ammo?
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I am not beyond thinking that there is a big government conspiracy that forces much of Hollywood's depictions of gun/tactical/fighting material in an unrealistic and flawed manner to prevent people from learning how to really do things, so that the good guys that train realistically will have even a better edge while the bad guys are playing from what they saw on TV.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I'm sure they'll also have revolvers with silencers, revolvers with safeties and of course .44 magnums that go through engine blocks. Whatever happened to the good ole days of six shooters that never ran out of ammo?
    If I recall correctly In the first 007 movie, Sean Connery shot a crooked guy with a S&W revolver. It had a large "silencer". I laughed MAO..

Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

Sponsored Links