new Plinker in the armory

new Plinker in the armory

This is a discussion on new Plinker in the armory within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, as the title suggests, I picked up a new plinker. I was going to try to snag one used, but the seller backed out ...

Talking new Plinker in the armory

Well, as the title suggests, I picked up a new plinker. I was going to try to snag one used, but the seller backed out. Anywhoo, I found a Ruger 10/22 carbine model at Dicks Sporting Goods for around $200. I am going to build it out top notch. It's going to be the Evil Black Stealth Squirrel/Rabbit gun!

We have the technology. We have the capability. It's going to be better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Whenever all the parts come in, I'll get it built out and get the pics up in the plinker section...

So I have the rifle. The parts are inbound.
    Here's the list of parts I have on order so far:
    1. Hogue Overmolded stock for BB
    2. Tactical Innovations 16.5" BLUE BULL BARREL (.920) THREADED 1:16 TWIST (ready to accept my suppressor)
    3. Auto Bold Release
    4. Bolt Buffer
    5. Adjustable V-Block
    6. New poly mags
    7. Tactical Solutions Picatinny Rail
    8. 6"-9"Caldwell XLA Sling Swivel Bipod
    9. Mueller Tactical Rifle Scope 8.5-25x 44mm Adjustable Objective Mil-Dot Reticle Matte Black

I'm thinking about getting a bedding kit, but 1) I may not need it yet, so I'm going to finish the build first and test it out, 2) haven't done one before...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Your really going to enjoy the project and the final product. When it's all done it's economical to shoot to boot! Have fun..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Administrator
    Congrats. Take Pics.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Nice choice but the slip-fit barrel is inherently wonky. When you do your build out make sure you correct that design flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Nice choice but the slip-fit barrel is inherently wonky. When you do your build out make sure you correct that design flaw.
    Yeah I was hoping the adjustable v-block would help... Any other ideas/tips?

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

GRRrrgrrggrumblee... Note...Make sure you check where your parts are coming from before ordering with GROUND shipping. UGH. I ordered most of my stuff back on the 3rd and it looks like the bulk of it isn't getting here until the 19th according to the tracking(3/4 of it didn't ship until yesterday).

Patience is not one of my virtues at this point.

-The Mist (2007)

Sixto seems to be somewhat of a 10/22 guru, I would ask him if you hit any snags.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Well, as the title suggests, I picked up a new plinker. I was going to try to snag one used, but the seller backed out. Anywhoo, I found a Ruger 10/22 carbine model at Dicks Sporting Goods for around $200. I am going to build it out top notch. It's going to be the Evil Black Stealth Squirrel/Rabbit gun!
    Congrats! The 10/22 can be addictive... just bought my fourth!

You picked some good parts. The new barrel has the advantage of an improved chamber over the stock one, so you're starting off with goodness. Let me suggest a few things which should help:

- the gun absolutely needs a trigger job; in stock form it's over 5 pounds and loaded with creep. Drop in hammer, sear, disconnector and trigger (with overtravel stop) are available from Volquartsen and Power Custom (my favorites) as well as others. Those will get the trigger down to around 2.5-3 pounds with negligible creep. Improving the trigger is probably the best overall improvement you can make to a 10/22, and complements the accuracy enhancement of the new barrel.

- get an improved extractor (same sources as above). The tighter chamber of your new barrel makes this a must-have. Better engagement of the case rim and hardened steel for durability.

- don't sweat the "wonky fit" of the slip-fit barrel. My 4 10/22s (from 1 to 45 years old) are all snug fits. Don't go gorilla when you torque the v-block bolts, you're screwing steel into aluminum.

- get some good rings for your scope. You've got a good piece of glass and a good mount; cheapie rings compromise those good components. Burris Signature rings or similar are a good investment (make sure the rings you get work with your Picatinny rail).

- a Bore Snake will spare you the hassle of tearing the gun down to clean the chamber & bore

- hold off on bedding the action & stock until you see how the gun shoots

- ammo choices - YMMV. I have poor luck with bulk econo-packs, but others swear by them. When you evaluate different ammo for accuracy, 'condition' your barrel with maybe 20 rounds of whatever stuff you're testing before you shoot for 'record.' I found out from frustrating experience that simply jumping from 5 rounds of Brand A to 5 rounds of Brand B proves little about the ammo's accuracy potential. BTW - do NOT use Stingers with your match-chambered new barrel, due to their longer-than-standard case length.

- there is an enormous wealth of 10/22 info on RimfireCentral.com.

And lastly - have a ball! Tweaking these little guns is incredibly rewarding!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Finally looks like all the rest of the stuff should be here by monday. Will try to remember to take pics and post them through the build next week.

-The Mist (2007)

Wahoo! Almost all the parts are here and installed. Everything showed up except the scope rings. Looks like those are showing up tomorrow. I did have a dilemma though. I had ordered the PC Hammer/Sear kit and quite clearly failed to read the ordering instructions(if you have a newer plastic trigger housing you need to order an extra set of bushings just for that version). Oops. So it looks like I'm running the original hammer and sear until I can get the new bushings inbound. In the mean time I went ahead and stoned the original hammer and it actually came out quite nice and yes, the safety still works.

Pics:
    Original/Unmodified 10/22

Misc Parts and Pieces

YAY! Almost Done

-The Mist (2007)

Well, I ran a few test shots last night and it seemed to be accurate enough with a little red-dot on it(still waiting on my scope rings), but the sound was significantly louder. I had a Gemtech OutbackII on the 16.5" bull barrel and the noise was considerably louder than if I ran the same ammo and in my little Walther P22 with the same suppressor. I'm guessing the length of the barrel allows the subsonic rounds to get closer to supersonic by the time they get to the end of the 16.5" barrel? I was using CCI CBLongs, Remington CBEE's and Remington Subsonics.

I can run the same ammo and suppressor on the P22 and the darn thing is quieter than a BB gun. This 10/22 setup is LOUD. I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong or missing in terms of parts/setup.

The only other thing I can think of is the need for some sort of modified bolt lock to be able to switch between semi-auto and manual bolt mode to help with reducing pop seemingly coming from the ejection port.

-The Mist (2007)

That thing is a varmint anihillator....I would love to be able to put the $$$ in to something like that right now.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    That thing is a varmint anihillator....I would love to be able to put the $$$ in to something like that right now.
    Actually, if you're smart about it, it can probably be done cheaper. I just got tired of trolling the boards looking for a used 10/22 within reasonable driving distance and went and bought one new outright. I've seen the 10/22's going as low as $80-100 used and with the receiver and it's internal components still in relatively good shape. It's just a question of timing and location to make the deals happen.

-The Mist (2007)

Links