1911 muck test VS. beretta 92 muck test videos

This is a discussion on 1911 muck test VS. beretta 92 muck test videos within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Beretta Muck Test VS. 1911 Muck Test the winner is quite clear...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 muck test VS. beretta 92 muck test videos

1911 muck test VS. beretta 92 muck test videos

Beretta Muck test VS. 1911 Muck test

the winner is quite clear

2. Remove Ads

No surprise there....

kpw
    Good vids. Second Beretta test was similar to the first. Glock & XD performed well.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Remind me not to let him borrow any of my guns!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

That helps confirm that I am making the right choice going with a springer :)
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I Love the 92/96 Beretta, however one cant argue with those results! I cringed when the 1911 hit the mud though. Thats a beautiful classic pistol.
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

i don't know how the army didn't expect the open slide design on the beretta to not be an issue in certain environments, but then again, the beretta only beat out the SIG226 by pennies for each gun to get the contract....

Administrator
    Just FYI

The 1911 is a Heavy Duty combat pistol with a battle proved track record and folks that own them these days tend to way over "baby" and mollycoddle them.

A properly tuned combat 1911 should feed and function perfectly upside down, sideways, filthy dirty, wet, gritty, & stripped completely of all traces of lubrication.

You should not be able to prevent cartridges from feeding.
    It should function perfectly no matter if held limp-wristed or tightly gripped.

Even easing the slide forward SLOWLY should ideally strip the top round from the magazine and pop it up into the barrel chamber.

If yours does not function through all of the above then you should send it to a custom pistol smith and have it properly fit and tuned.

I'm certain that the Beretta is a fine pistol also but, I am not a Beretta guy and so I'm really not going to Internet evaluate it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    No surprise there....
    Agreed.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

With all the finicky 1911s you hear and read about these days, that video was a pleasant surprise.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Senior Moderator
    I don't know guys, Beretta held right in there with Sig in the military's rigorous testing. This video represents one test, the next 10 could show something totally different.

'Experts' debate the open slide thing, some say it lets junk in, some say it lets junk out better. I haven't seen that either side has been able to prove it one way or another.

Then, let's consider what handgun is in Iraq and Afganistan in some of the most difficult environments in the world, and essentially, other than the mag problem from a 'low bid', the Beretta 92 seems to be holding up very well. It's about the only handgun that has been tested in such an environment, continuously for a long period of time.

In an article, Larry Vickers, a pure-blood 1911 guy by admission, stated how surprised and impressed he was after giving the Beretta 92 an honest evaluation.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    With all the finicky 1911s you hear and read about these days, that video was a pleasant surprise.
    that's due to poor quality control, rather than an inherent design problem.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    that's due to poor quality control, rather than an inherent design problem.
    Probably true for the all steel jobs, but did you know that Caspian will not guarantee their aluminum alloy frames?

When he told me, I pointed out to Gary Smith (Caspian) how many guns were on alum. alloy frames. He said that they are a different design than the 1911. That was sometime back, I don't know if that still holds or not.

Also, Larry Vickers, in the same article I referred to earlier said Berettas, Sigs, and 1911s like to run wet where Glocks, XDs and I would presume the same is true for M&Ps and Sig P250s, can tolerate running much dryer. Although he did not elaborate on exactly what that means in quantitative terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    I used to think same...But you know what I found?
    Balderdash.

Majority of these things are from people who don't know how to; Maintain/clean a 1911, How to inspect and diagnose magazine induced function errors (magazines are a consumable that do wear down/out akin to tires!), Don't know/realize that the recoil springs are a consumable that wears down before fully going out (All guns are this way), Or they themself worked on the gun in their home hobby shop (Dremel tool) and/or allowed/paid some other moron to do same...Then lastly you have those with 'custom' guns that are built so tight that they require liberal coatings of teflon to cycle.

Oh, and then there are the whiners who make their own ammo and then blame it on the gun when their reloads don't fully cycle the gun...Even as commercial loads work fine.

I've had an array of 1911s over the past 12 yrs. from multiple manufacturers. Going in with my first I figured okay this might be crazy as based on what the internets have to say.
    My standing today, much of what folk have to say on the internets is just soo many pounds of fertilizer spread over ignorance.

A proper spec quality materials modern manufacture 1911 runs.
    Especially so in my direct experience one as made by Springfield Armory.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    Jang,
    I've been building and shooting 1911s over about the same period. My impression is the design is solid as any other platform IF they are built correctly to start with. I think the problems we see is the factory doesn't always get 1911 set up correctly.

Recall that when Sig came out with their 1911, they had initial problems. When S&W came out with their 1911, they had initial problems. Recall that the LAPD SWAT had to send every one of their 1911s back to Kimber because of problems. But all those problems got corrected and now they are all reliable.

While that tends to give a bad impression of the 1911 platform, I think the real problem is in getting the manufacturing lines running correctly. I don't think there's a design problem in the 1911 platform.

Let us not forget how many Glock frames were manufactured with rail problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links