Poll: Do you feel safe in the city with 41 shootings this year?

This is a discussion on Poll: Do you feel safe in the city with 41 shootings this year? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This was the daily poll for 6-Jul-1020 in the Chattanooga Times Free Press , an excellent newspaper BTW. They give equal space for the liberal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you feel safe in the city with 41 shootings this year?

Senior Moderator

Poll: Do you feel safe in the city with 41 shootings this year?

This was the daily poll for 6-Jul-1020 in the Chattanooga Times Free Press, an excellent newspaper BTW. They give equal space for the liberal and consevative editorials. How many papers do that?

Anyway, the poll question was as shown in the thread title; here are the results:

15% yes 84% no

Interesting huh?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i'm not sure what makes it interesting to you...i grew up in an area on the waterfront in ny where we experienced riots in the 60s and 70s bringing inner city inhabitants to our area and quite literally terrorizing it and for some reason i never felt unsafe...just wary...it depends on someones definition of feeling unsafe...

in a area that may contain millions of people many might not think that number of murders is a lot...and the odds of it happening to them is low....along with the thinking that a good percentage of them may have been drug related taking the average person out of the danger position...

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    As a former Chatt area resident, I find that pretty interesting. IRC, most of the shootings of late were drive by/gang/gang wannabe incidents in the predictable areas. Wonder who/how big/where they sampled for the poll.
    I never felt unsafe there.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i'm not sure what makes it interesting to you...i grew up in an area on the waterfront in ny where we experienced riots in the 60s and 70s bringing inner city inhabitants to our area and quite literally terrorizing it and for some reason i never felt unsafe...just wary...it depends on someones definition of feeling unsafe...

in a area that may contain millions of people many might not think that number of murders is a lot...and the odds of it happening to them is low....along with the thinking that a good percentage of them may have been drug related taking the average person out of the danger position...
    41 is quite high for Chattanooga. Population is under 200K (?)
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i'm not sure what makes it interesting to you...
    It's interesting because so many people admit to not feeling safe in the city. Maybe they have begun to realize the police cannot protect them as well as they thought.

Arko
    I believe this is a voluntary phone in poll, but I'm not sure. Although a lot of this was gang activity, there was a gang shooting in a public park that endangered innocent families. If you really wanna get sick, the CPD said they were thankful that no civies had guns or it'd have really been bad.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Better than 52 in a weekend.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    It's interesting because so many people admit to not feeling safe in the city. Maybe they have begun to realize the police cannot protect them as well as they thought.

Arko
    I believe this is a voluntary phone in poll, but I'm not sure. Although a lot of this was gang activity, there was a gang shooting in a public park that endangered innocent families. If you really wanna get sick, the CPD said they were thankful that no civies had guns or it'd have really been bad.
    That doesn't surprise me with the Mayor and Chief there. Legal guns still banned in city parks?
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    That doesn't surprise me with the Mayor and Chief there. Legal guns still banned in city parks?
    Well, guns are only banned for good citizens, clearly the BGs and gangs still carry them in the city parks.

What were the reasons for the shootings? Were they the result of violence and crime?

Maybe there were 41 shooting suicides.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Senior Moderator
    Could have been some suicides, but not sure suicides were included in the number since the shootings in the papers were somebody shooting somebody else. Some were gang related, probably the majority, but not all were.

I'm not even sure home invasions were included in that number. We just recently had a homeowner shoot and kill two intruders.

I don't won't to give the impression that Chattanooga is not a safe place to live, I don't feel that way at all. But there are some problems; this seemingly peak, may be due to a number of things, the poor economy for example.

With the illegal aliens, human garbage, drugs and gangs, running amuck these days! I dont feel safe anywhere! and I live in the Country!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

I earned my undergrad degree at Covenant College (Lookout Mtn.) about 20 years back and things weren't all that great back then either.
    A couple of fellow classmates were held up at gun point downtown...and there was always trouble down in the projects. Still have many good memories of my time there though.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

You guys in Chatt are lightweights. Chicago kills that many on a Saturday.... And they have gun control....

al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

Quote Originally Posted by Backroad View Post
    You guys in Chatt are lightweights. Chicago kills that many on a Saturday.... And they have gun control....

al
    In Tennessee we shoot BACK! That's why our numbers are lower!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Backroad View Post

al
    I had to *fix* your statement.

Chicago kills that many on a Saturday.... BECAUSE they have gun control....
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links