Please Tell me about Gunshows

This is a discussion on Please Tell me about Gunshows within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to gunshows for 35 years and I finally stopped in 08 when gas prices shot thru the roof. I go to my locals ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please Tell me about Gunshows

I went to gunshows for 35 years and I finally stopped in 08 when gas prices shot thru the roof. I go to my locals for my guns and ammo and reloading equipment.richgp100z

2. Remove Ads

Gun shows are awesome! You can put your hands on hundreds of guns and play vendors against each other for the best price. I have purchased 2 guns at shows so far this year. Looking to buy a .45 at the September show.
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

I go for the Jerky. Stun guns and pepper spray. All sorts of interesting weapon stuff.

I did work some very good deals at the show that were much cheaper than my local gun dealers. I got my M&P for $80 less than local dealer. You need to ask for discounts.They don't just offer them. Cash helps.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Ya know, you guys make it sound better that the circus that's in town. I think I'll give it a try.
    It is as good as a circus if you enjoy looking at a large variety of guns plus a lot of trinketry. You can sometimes find that old gun you've been looking for but not finding locally but don't expect a price bargain. Also, if you dislike tightly packed crowded places as I do it can get a bit claustrophobic. I was able to get a S&W 4" Model 15-5 in the original box at the last show I attended. I was aware at the time that I was paying about $50 too much for it but I left happy anyway. I generally like to attend gun shows.

Most gun show folks are only scared because the Brady Bunch, the Bloomturd Herd, and the New Black Panthers might be there too; meaning we may be intimidated or hated, booed, interviewed or sued.

i like going every once in awhile. never purchused a firearm, as mentioned
    over priced. lot of interesting knick kacs thought and ofcourse a big room
    full of fellow gun nuts. sometimes i just like talking to the vendors, it sure
    can be interesting what diffrent people have to say.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Most gun show folks are only scared because the Brady Bunch, the Bloomturd Herd, and the New Black Panthers might be there too; meaning we may be intimidated or hated, booed, interviewed or sued.
    I have yet to see any of these fools show up right in front of a gun show....have seen their "protests" a block or so from the site...but since there are 5-10 of them, you hardly notice.

New Black Panthers? Please...usually there are local LEOs at gun shows....NBP don't like LEOs...or people who can/will defend themselves with firearms.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

the gun/outdoor shows I have been to have been a complete waste of time and money.

There are vendors selling everything from "military" grade shoe laces to state-of-the-art AR's. Heck, one guy was selling every type/style of springs for every type of firearm on the planet along with every type/style of Magazine

90% of the vendors are junk salesmen. And it's always nice to go to a gun show and find Bathfitter or a Gutter salesmen or EXMark lawn mowers.

and most of the crap is over priced. I found a SOG fusion battle ax for $72, I KNOW I can get it off the internet for $32. I asked the guy if he would sell it for $40, he laughed at me. I told him I could get it on the internet for $32 and he said good luck??? Idiot

Lots of WWII military patches, uniforms, backpacks, stuff like that

I'm amazed that gun shows are make any money at all
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

1. Generally what are they like?
    A lot of fun and you will get to see so many new and antique guns. The people are all generally nice, both the dealers and guests.

2. Are they worth going to?
    I think so. If for nothing else, you meet people and learn. Ask a lot of questions. There are no stupid questions.

3. What kind of stuff do you buy there?
    Guns, mags, holsters, knives, the list can be almost endless.

4. Should I pay with cash, or what?
    Cash is king.

5. Is there the 10 day CA wait period for firearms?
    Might depend on your state and local laws. In my area, cash and carry. Just fill out the basic ownership info form and have your purchase permit or CC permit if that will work in your area for buying. And your drivers license too.

6. If I buy ammo in a name brand box, is that what I'll get?
    Not necessarily. Check inside.

7. Can you tell me some sellers that are OK?
    The sellers vary from show to show.

8. Can you tell me some sellers to avoid?
    Same as 7.

9. Can I/Should I CCW there?
    I wouldn't. I carry concealed... period.

I like going to the gun show to check out all the various firearms and accessories in person. If you know what you are looking for you can get a good deal, sometimes you just have to haggle. If you don't know what you are looking for, then its a good place to just see whats available and handle a bunch of guns until you find one that you like and then go home and research it more before you buy. My local gun shops can get you good deals but hardly ever have exactly what you are looking for in stock, so being able to have access to all of the various vendors inventory under one roof is nice.

The other thing I like about my local gun show is that the various clubs and political groups usually have booths there and I've been able to meet some great like-minded folks that I wouldn't have otherwise hanging out at the gun shop or public range.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm under-impressed with gun shows. Around here they have them all the time. Several of the smaller GSs close up shop to attend and man a booth. They're okay if you're looking for some odds and ends, but for the most part everything is overpriced. Once in awhile you'll stumble across something rare at a decent price, but face it--those guys are in the business and they don't make a living offering you "good deals."
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I bought a 100,000 volt stun gun for about $25 at the last gun show I've seen around here, which was about 4-5 yrs ago. It was recently stolen from my home. Haven't figured out who took it yet. Bu I also hav not seen signs nor heard about another show yet since then...
    Does anyone know of a website that lists local gun shows in my area??...
    Is there anyone in my area on this forum that wouldn't mind meeting sometime to discuss and or practice at a local range together with me??...
    Guns don't kill people, People kill people!

1. Generally what are they like?
    LOTS of vendors of various items there. In the shows I've been to here in Arkansas, it's been nothing but firearms related vendors, so you'll find all kinds of firearms, ammunition, accessories and related weaponry and gear. I've yet to see any non-firearms related vendors at these shows.

2. Are they worth going to?
    IMNSHO, yes, they're worth going to. I've enjoyed going to them because you'll find some decent deals. I've not gone there w/a mind to buy any firearms, but have gone looking for accessories - and oft-times found some decent deals. At the very least, you can find some holsters, range bags and rifle cases that you can't find - or that *I* at least can't find! - locally and/or at lower costs. I've priced a few firearms I've considered, as well as fondled them a bit.

3. What kind of stuff do you buy there?
    Well, it's a gun show, so the majority of what they'll have is firearms related. So, you'll find all kinds of firearms, ammunition, accessories and related weaponry and gear. I've found several nylon range bags (not name-brand, but they sure do work just as well as some of those expensive Name Brand™ bags I've seen in a few stores!), two drop-leg holsters (I've got two pistols and figure it can't hurt to have a backup, right?) and some 7.62mm x 54 surplus ammo and stripper clips for my Mosin-Nagant that I couldn't find locally or at cheaper prices. One of the range bags is going to be used as a quicky BOB, so includes two extra loaded magazines, two boxes of ammo, a reloader and one of my GI cleaning kits.

4. Should I pay with cash, or what?
    You can haggle a bit w/cash in my experience, but can often use Credit Cards (CC's). I'm a little leary of handing someone at a gunshow my CC, tho, so tend to bring a little extra cash.

5. Is there the 10 day CA wait period for firearms?
    You'll prolly want to make sure of this on your own. I'd verify it using official CA sites via Google.

6. If I buy ammo in a name brand box, is that what I'll get?
    As others have suggested, I'd definitely check inside before handing over any cash. Some vendors buy ammo from estate sales and the like, so you might end up purchasing ammo manufactured 50 years ago that's sat in a root cellar and has rust on it. At all of the shows I've been to, almost every vendor has a sign saying "All Sales Are Final!", so it's caveat emptor for my personal motto (Buyer Beware).

7. Can you tell me some sellers that are OK?
    No because that'll vary from show-to-show and state-to-state.

8. Can you tell me some sellers to avoid?
    Same as above.

9. Can I/Should I CCW there?
    Depends on the show's rules and where the show is held, I'd wager. In Arkansas, I've not yet been to a show that allows CC. They've all been posted as such and I'm not willing to risk an incident just so I can feel a little extra bit secure in a large area with a bunch of vendors who are also carrying, as well as security who are carrying. Should TSHTF while I'm inside, I'll hunker down under the nearest table or beat feet if I'm close enough to an exit.

Now, if they were to allow it, I'd DEFINITELY CC inside.

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

The shows I have been to here in NC have many local gun shops who purchase tables to hawk their wares. You can check their inventories, talk to the owners, and find some good deals. I found a great shop by attending a show. He is a bit far away but his deals and service make it worth the trip.

Sure there are some questionable dealers there but if you use common sense you can get some great deals and at worst find out which local shops you would or wouldn't want to do business with in the future.

Today, at the Sharonville, Ohio, show, I finally could not resist buying a slightly-used Walther P-22 .22 caliber pistol, the cheaper two-tone OD-green one, a cheap-shooting but fun little gun that fits my hand just right; like the one that I used to finish my two-hour CCW-shooting class with. It cost me $269.95 and I bought a $13 box of .40 caliber ammo for my S&W Sigma. But, then there were the patches and chamber brushes...and that good paperback sniper book. Would going back tomorrow, Sunday, add to my fiscal and financial future sorrow?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links