"The Old Cold Warrior bought his first commie gun"

This is a discussion on "The Old Cold Warrior bought his first commie gun" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "The Old Cold Warrior bought his first commie gun" I drove to Gander Mountain to have some fun by just LOOKING at guns and gun ...

Thread: "The Old Cold Warrior bought his first commie gun"

I drove to Gander Mountain to have some fun by just LOOKING at guns and gun stuff. I browsed and browsed and browsed, inside this big clean air-conditioned store, not really needing anything more with which to clutter up my house, even without the aid of children, a girlfriend, or even a spouse. I finally bought a packet of new shoe strings and walked toward the door. I had looked at the guns, just for fun, still resisting buying one of those old commie ones, an M91/30 Mosin-Nagant 7.62X54mm rifle, having looked at many similar and such old WWII-era surplus guns, always looking for a brand-new or hardly-used one with clean pristine rifling inside the bore of a long barrel. Darn it! You have started me on another story for East Kentucky Magazine, and you know what I mean!
    Okay, as I was saying, uh...typing/writing: I was at the entry doors to that big Gander Mountain store, when I paused to look at that colorful advertisement page displayed upon the wall, my eyes roaming and going to that picture and nicely-priced [$129.99] Mosin-Nagant rifle that I had looked at and rejected. I saw that, in addition to the rifle, you also got a bayonet with a sling, pouches, oil can and cleaning kit. I also got a trigger lock and cleaning pad for FREE, you see, after I went back and accepted another boxed-up gun, after removing the shiny-steel bolt and looking down the filthy rough bore inside that long barrel, that will need a lot of cleaning. So, I also needed to buy some bore brushes; a bag-full of patches; and a box of genuine [non-corrosive] new Russian 7.62mm bullets, a box of twenty for $13, about which I could not ***** or holler. I attach digital images that I took of it inside my garage. My Mosin-Nagant was made in 1939, at the start of World War Two in Europe, #196 being the "matching" bolt and barrel number.
    When one reads and remembers some history, one can imagine or try to imagine who, what, where, when, why and how these weapons and accoutrements were used, doing TV and movie scenes inside your mind. What was done with this old commie gun and to whom, besides maybe some victimless basic rifle or Red Army reserve training maybe? Was it sent to member nations of the Warsaw Pact to prepare and be ready for that one big attack? Was it used to shoot at the German invaders? Or to harass, herd, hold, hurt and murder Ukrainians, political prisoners, deserters and innocent eastern-European civilians and Soviet citizens? Was this rifle with a bayonet a frightening sight? Did it have a body count? What amount? Was it found after being dropped on the ground next to a body?

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Sounds like the start of a novel... begins at the factory where the rifle is constructes and follows all the way to your hands! I'd read it!
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Ohhhhh!!!! Nooooooo!!! Only two years and five-hundred pages to go!!!!!!!!!!

I have a thread going on my nagant too.

I bet Stalin is spinning in his grave (or enbalming juice) because a free man with free will holding that rifle in his hands.

My Nagant was USED, it is fun to wonder where it was.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    I have a thread going on my nagant too.

I bet Stalin is spinning in his grave (or enbalming juice) because a free man with free will holding that rifle in his hands.

My Nagant was USED, it is fun to wonder where it was.
    It's too bad there isn't a database of serial numbers so we could se the history. I have a MN as well and have often wondered where it has been.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

You Nagant lovers will love this.

CX

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Ohhhhh!!!! Nooooooo!!! Only two years and five-hundred pages to go!!!!!!!!!!

Ohhhhh Yesssss! You must write the book. You must write the book. You must write the book.

Just as that sales add posted on the front door which called you back to purchase your new piece of history... you must see it to it's conclusion.

You write the book, I will read it!

Now get writing and feed your obsessions.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Speaking of Russian imports: Commie guns are relatively cheap and fun, but they cannot do house work, spouse work, yard work, hard work and other such and similar boring domestic chores, nor do the womanly duties of Russian cuties.

http://www.topix.com/album/detail/da...O7GK2OQCMGJ610

You are a bad bad influence. I read your post and drove to the very same Gander Mountain and bought a 1942 M-N. It's been fun cleaning it, I can't wait to take it to the range!
    When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe.

I am now a fan of gun-cleaning stands! My 1939 Mosin sits in it with a cleaning jag, with bore-cleanered patch, at the end of a cleaning rod inside the bore. I work on it a little bit and then quit, e.g., clean and dry and soak and let it sit a little bit. No hurry. At Gander Mountain, I also bought a $13 twenty-bullet box of the best/cleanest-shooting Russian bullets to shoot through it. Yeah, I know, I know, I could and should and no doubt would clean the corrosive surplus residue from and out of it as soon as I returned from shooting it...just for nostalgic fun, just like I do those Civil War black-powder guns. Oh, yes, I have bought a rubber recoil pad to slip over the butt of my commie gun, because I don't want to scratch it...or bruise me, you see. I will also try the bore-snake cleaning routine at the range, while the barrel is hot. Thanks a lot.

^yep 7.62x54r in my neck of the woods comes in a spam can! 440 rds for under $100. best deal in america for shooting a big(er) bore rifle!

I clean my guns at the range with a bore snake while its still hot and loose.

You are really going to love the attention you get at the range. People will hear the normal guns "pop, pop, pop, pow, bang, boom," then you will light one off ""KERBOOM!!!" I suggest a slip on recoil pad)i shoot atleast 60rds a session!

I have convinced no less than 10 people to go grab one at the local big 5. I should get a commision!
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Back to Gander Mountain, this morning, to get my free [Savage] rifle-scope bore sighting, where I also bought another $13 box of Russian ammo for my commie gun. They had sold all of the Mosin-Nagants they had. Vandalia Tactical had a big long crate full of greasy surplus Mosin-Nagants, for $129 apiece and each, your pick and watch your clothes, like ya know. At Bill Goodman's Gun and Knife Show, at Hara Arena [Dayton, Ohio], this weekend, there will be a Russian and Swiss rifle man there, with better such surplus rifles that he has examined and chosen, with appropriate ammunition.

They will put the hurt on your shoulder, good call on the recoil pads. I fired mine on sunday and have multi colored welts to show for it.

Oooooo...does it hurt worse than a Mossburg 12 gauge shotgun, that I first and recently shot skeet with?

The steel butt plate is very unforgiving! I would say that felt recoil with 200 grain bullet and the steel butt plate would be similar to heavy 12 gauge loads with a modern pump shotgun.

Bring a dishrag to throw over your shoulder, the sharp corners are what getcha!

Sponsored Links