Suggestions for Correcting Limp-Wristing

This is a discussion on Suggestions for Correcting Limp-Wristing within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I took a female friend of mine shooting today and let her shoot my P95 9mm some. She had a great time, but I could ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I took a female friend of mine shooting today and let her shoot my P95 9mm some. She had a great time, but I could not get her to stop limp-wristing. The gun would literally jam almost every shot. It would FTF and FTE. Before anyone goes blaming the gun, I have never had issues with it before and I shot 100 rounds through it today myself without a single issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct the limp wristing? She was holding the gun with both hands, decent stance, but just could not keep the gun still enough during the recoil.

She has no experience shooting handguns. Is it possible she just needs to get more experience and get a little stronger?

On another note, she was grouping 1" at 10 yards with my .22 with iron sights by the end of the day.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Grip/wrist exercises or knuckle pushups.

Ape
    Limp wrist can be a bit of a misnomer in my opinion.

Have her try and keep her elbows bent and pointed out away from her body. Think close quarters room clearing.

The idea is to keep the energy of the slide working in towards your body rather than up over your head. I've found this technique works well for women and inexperienced shooters.

I think that limp wristing is more technique then strength. Once the feel of the proper techique is recognized it is easier to duplicate.
    Attached Images

Get a high grip on the pistol with strong hand with pistol centered in web. Recoil should travel thru meaty part of hand, not against the first joint of thumb.
    Index trigger finger on frame not inside trigger guard - start her off right.
    Weak hand should wrap around gun/strong hand with first knuckles bent at 90 degree angle and index finger butting up against trigger guard. Both thumbs on same side of pistol.
    Push forward with strong hand, pull back with weak hand.
    Lock elbows.
    Lean forward at the waist.
    Slight bend in the knees.
    Feet perpendicular to target.

Some guns seem to be more prone to it with certain shooters. Good form and practice will help. Which 2 handed grip is she using. Cup and saucer is a recipe for limp wristing. There is no recoil support from the weak hand. My go to grip is thumbs forward. You can also pull down slightly with the weak hand to tame recoil. Get a good thumbs forward grip, then pull down and towards the body with the weak pinky. It helps decrease muzzle climb and may help with the limp wristing.

The Combat Handgun Grip

Get the form right on the .22. Then move to the 9mm.

And practice, practice!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Ape View Post
    +1
    Its all about controlling the gun. Not overcoming the gun. Controlling the energy, by directing the energy in towards the body, instead of flying up uncontrolled greatly assists in control, recovery, and accuracy, and will help eleminate the jams. It also eliminates the limp wrist.

Her grip and body position will help greatly. Letting the arms absorb the recoil into the body core, instead fighting against it, will help direct that energy into the core of the body, which is where it needs to go. The "limp wrist" is most often caused by resisting the energy causing it to be deflected upwards, instead of absorbting the energy into the core of the body. Does that make sense?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Thank's for all the advice guys. Some great suggestions. I was watching the muzzle closely and it seemed to me the gun was hardly moving up at all, which puzzled me a little bit.

Regardless, next time I'll try some of the suggestions and see what helps. I'm also wonderin to myself whether the grip was just too big for her small hands. Those of you familiar with the P95 know it's a relatively wide grip for small female hands.

Get a tennis ball, and squeeze it repeatedly in your spare time. Squeezing a tennis ball strengthens fingers, hand, wrist and forearms.

My cousin did that for hours when learning to play the piano. He had a grip like a friggon vise!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

A 60/40 push-pull, combined with the lateral stability of a 2 handed grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Ape View Post

Have her try and keep her elbows bent and pointed out away from her body. Think close quarters room clearing.

The idea is to keep the energy of the slide working in towards your body rather than up over your head. I've found this technique works well for women and inexperienced shooters.
    qft

let the elbows absorb the shock. if she is doing this with a p95 there is a major issue. she is trying way too hard to "keep her wrist from going limp" and there fore locking up her whole arm. since the wrist is weaker than elbow when the gun goes bang it is the wrist that give.

i had 'limp wristing' problems for a long time.
    its like having a problem with racking the slide.. 99.9% of the time it can be fixed with technique. a lack of strength is what gets it to show, but its fixing technique that will fix the problem.
    hard to say more than that w/o seeing her shoot.
    getting her to concentrate on locking her wrists might help.
    most likely she needs to adjust her grip- probably higher on gun.
    adjusting stance might help as well.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

If it's a lack of strength, try squeezing a racketball, and when that gets easy, a tennis ball. Easy for her to do while driving, etc. I also use a weight on a piece of 550 cord wrapped around a piece of dowel rod. You hold your arms out and winch the weight up and down with your wrist and forearm muscles.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I have arthritis in both hands, my pistol was jamming every magazine, it's a Cobra CA-380 and thought it was defective. It was me. I read how to correct "limp wristing" and did my own trial and error. What worked was to get in my stance, bend the right arm slightly and lock my elbow, I steady the arm using the left hand, cupping and pulling down with pressure on the right hand so that if I wasn't pulling up with my right, my right arm would be going down, concentrating on tightening the left arm muscles so the chest muscles stabilize the right just like shooting one handed. My Cobra no longer jams, I clear mags so fast I now run out of ammo before my stall time is up. Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker543 View Post
    I took a female friend of mine shooting today and let her shoot my P95 9mm some. She had a great time, but I could not get her to stop limp-wristing. The gun would literally jam almost every shot. It would FTF and FTE. Before anyone goes blaming the gun, I have never had issues with it before and I shot 100 rounds through it today myself without a single issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct the limp wristing? She was holding the gun with both hands, decent stance, but just could not keep the gun still enough during the recoil.

She has no experience shooting handguns. Is it possible she just needs to get more experience and get a little stronger?

On another note, she was grouping 1" at 10 yards with my .22 with iron sights by the end of the day.

It's all in the grip and also stance. For grip, I'd recommend watching this video:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links