Drop-leg Holster Thoughts & Opinions

This is a discussion on Drop-leg Holster Thoughts & Opinions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm curious to know folks' opinions on drop-leg holsters, not necessarily for combat/duty wear. I'm AD Air Force and have worn one while Deployed, as ...

I'm curious to know folks' opinions on drop-leg holsters, not necessarily for combat/duty wear. I'm AD Air Force and have worn one while Deployed, as well as here Stateside for duty and prefer it over a standard US Military M9 belt holster w/flap. Particularly when driving most any vee-hickle. It's more effective for wearing/removing outer garments, comfortable for sitting and more ergonomical for drawing you weapon, in my experiences.

I've also worn one around the house to get a feel for what it's like w/my civilian firearms, as well as doing some open carry at my mom & dad's one weekend. The most recent drop-leg holster I purchased works better than the previous two, giving me a nice, tight fit against my leg.

Curious to know other folks' thoughts, pro or con.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Can't open carry where I live so has never been an option.

They look tacticool but I don't think they're very practical for general use or open carry. They tend to bang into stuff and they make you look like a mall-ninja wanna-be.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    As you asked me on the other thread I will respond fully here.

Drop leg holsters are in my opinion good under a small number of instances. Primarily when wearing body armor, as depending on the type, the armor can interfer with other things that are connected to your belt, such as a holstered firearm.

In my experiences, they are difficult to adjust.
    Difficult to move through thick woods with.
    Not really conductive to running, unless you wear it as high as possible.

I will give you the driving thing though, but as far as better than a flap holster, There are much better options for those too. Either inside the waistband or outside.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

They look and cool and give you sort of a cowboy feel but for practical purposes I think they are to slow.
    No insult to any cowboy action people that use a drop leg rig.

Honestly, the only scenario that I have thought of that makes a drop leg holster make sense to me is in backpacking. When using a waist belt on a backpack you can not wear a holster on your waistline, either IWB or OWB. That leaves you with the choice of a drop leg or a shoulder holster.

As far as comfort and convenience, on a day to day basis, I prefer an OWB holster at about 3:30.

I don't see a point to a flap holster, even for military use, really. Only reason of which I'm aware that the military wanted to issue them for so long was weapons retention - kinda hard for it to fall out during combat if the weapon is 90% covered by the flap. I hated wearing them and was happy when I found that since I'd been formerly trained w/a drop-leg holster that I could wear one when performing my duties Stateside (issuing weapons for Mobility Deployments, as well as just moving around in the armory, shifting crates, etc...). I wasn't really all that fond of them at first, but they're much more comfortable to me now that I've had to wear one for as long as four months at a time while Deployed.

When I've worn a drop-leg - Deployed, Stateside for duty, around my house or up at my folks' - I like to wear it as high up as I can. It blocks my right hand hip pocket (and cargo pocket when I have on shorts/pants with same) to some degree, but then I just shift contents to other pockets if I might need access to them. I've found when it's high up and I keep the leg strap(s) nice and tight that it doesn't flop around much at all, isn't such an awkward thing to wear when the need to run should arise and isn't much trouble for bumping in to things so long as you keep in the back of your mind that it's there - sort of like when you've got a OWB waist holster.

My main thinking for having one - aside from the Zombie Apocalypse - is for hiking and/or hunting. That is, if I were able to get away with having it as OC. You can't OC in Arkansas, tho I have a feeling that a lot of LEO's won't say much if you're out in the woods hiking or hunting. Still, wouldn't want to take a chance with that, so won't likely ever OC with a Drop Leg unless I'm in a state that allows it, on my own property or Arkansas changes the law to allow OC. Even in the event of the latter, I'd likely continue to CC the majority of times.

Thanks for the responses thus far. I appreciate them and hope others will chime in, as well!

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

I own one, like to use it just for carrying certain handguns when I am at the range, good way to carry extra firearms, you can still wear a hip holster and a shoulder holster if you want.............you can never have enough firepower on you at one time !!

I like them, but not the soft type. I wore one as a duty rig (again, not the soft type), but they are impractical for every day use.

Can't wear one in FL, but wouldn't (even if allowed) if it were not for a LEO job. It would look silly and would seem uncomfortable.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have the Blackhawk that allows for use with a light/laser combo. I have only worn it twice, both while hiking. I agree with the other comments above, it is a pretty rare use item.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I have the Blackhawk serpa version. It was great while deployed carrying an M9 in it. Once you get it adjusted right, it's no problem to run with, climb over walls with, etc. The "button" that locks on the trigger guard instead of a thumb break is a great, intuitive system, and will keep the pistol in there very well.
    However, a leg drop for civilian, open carry, wouldn't be my thing. I think it's a little much for wearing around town. Maybe if I hunted, to carry a handgun while hiking through the woods.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Lead Moderator
    I find a offset holster mount(police duty type) for my Serpa works fine backpacking with better mobility. For everyday carry, no thanks.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The drop leg holster was designed to provide better, and unencumbered access to your defensive pistol for those who are wearing cumbersome external body armor or other items which restrict weapon access such as a rappelling harness, daypack or other items which may impede ones draw from a more traditional belt holster.

Thus it is generally seen to be used by those who have a need to do so, who are working in a tactical arena.

Therefore, for those who wear one outside that tactical arena are often times looked at as mall ninjas, wannabe's and other such pejorative ways. I think it's okay to wear when training at the range if part of your job includes wearing bulky armor, rappelling harnesses, or backpacks and other such items which restrict your normal draw because you should train with the rig you will be using in those jobs.

But for an average citizen wearing one when open carrying in public, just looks silly and does make one look like a wannabe or mall ninja. Even if you do claim it's easier to draw from people are still gonna think the same thing about you. So, if you don't mind what people think or say about you, then by all means, do as you wish.

I have used several for the last 10 years as a swat team medic, I like them. But since leaving the team, it sits in my holster drawer. I don't open carry, and if I did, I certainly would never wear it in that environment. But then, I'm a vain person. I don't like people looking at me and laughing.

If I ever get involved in search and rescue or the Sheriff ever calls me to be involved in a manhunt, where I may want to be armed while out on the trail and wearing a daypack or other such gear, then I can always pull it out of my holster drawer and wipe the dust off of it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Hunters, hikers, LEO, or military only. I've used one before, a long time ago, and while I didn't find it to be that uncomfortable (it did seem to require constant re-adjusting though, it was a single strap), I could never see myself wearing one anymore.

The only real use I see is for someone who's carrying a rifle, a shotgun, or while wearing body armor, & needs to quickly transfer to their pistol instead of attempting a reload of their long gun. Also, wearing your pistol that low allows for unimpeded hip fire of the long gun if necessary.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Links