"Single Shot .223 "

"Single Shot .223 "

This is a discussion on "Single Shot .223 " within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone on here own a New England firearms single shot rifle or shotgun ? I was at my local Farm King this past week ...

Thread: "Single Shot .223 "

"Single Shot .223 "

Does anyone on here own a New England firearms single shot rifle or shotgun ? I was at my local Farm King this past week and the gentleman behind the counter showed me the single shot .223 rifle with a thumbhole stock (Wood), beautiful wood stock on the rifle and it is already tapped and ready for a scope. After looking the gun over I was really impressed, it would be a very fun rifle to mess around with. Put a decent scope on it and it would be a real tack driver, it has a heavy duty barrel on it also, so would be extremely accurate. I have never really paid much attention to single shot anything, but I am entertaining the idea of adding one of these to my collection. "YOU REALLY ONLY NEED 1 SHOT"

mrm
    They are a very nice little rifle you would really like it i reckon, just remember to put a good scope on it and dont skimp.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

If I am not mistaken, there are a whole bunch of other shotgun and rifle barrels for that platform.

Single shot dicipline is an asset for sure. For sportsman, it teaches them to wait for their shot, place it carefully, and wait for the result. So many guys will pepper a deer with holes when the first shot had already killed the deer, the deer just didnt know it was dead yet.

Dicipline yourself to reaload it without looking at it, and keeping your eye on what you just shot.

As a HD weapon, no, maybe not. As a sporting rifle, yes, absolutely!
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

kpw
    My dad and my son both use .243 NEFs for whitetail. They have a few other choices but they are Handi!

Truth is, I wouldn't mind having one for myself sometimes. They are relatively short & light. Most tend to be accurate or made so.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Heck why not? It would make an excellent hunting rifle.

When I bought my .223, I was checking out the NEF single shot, but for a little more money, I went with a Stevens 200.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

We had one in the gunshop that was .223 with the conventional laminate ( not thumbhole ) stock that was sub-MOA with good ammo. I'm a lefty and use a single shot .30-06. I can load it "cigar style" faster than I can fumble a right handed bolt action.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I shot a 12gauge 3-inch chamber model on Masochist Day. I have a friend with one in 500 magnum that he enjoys.

Everyone on here has almost talked me into one......... I just may end up putting one on lay-away..........they have a 3 month lay-away plan. You can't beat that !!

Getting back to the basics of great marksmenship is a novel idea in this day and time. A single shot rifle not only will make you concentrate and improve your skill, but will take you back to a simpler day and time, when men knew how to shoot, and one was enough. Like others here have said, go for it!

They are a great rifle. I have one in 450 Marlin. You can also send the frame to the factory and they can fit other barrels/calibers to the frame for less than $200 if I recall correctly. You can go to their website for details and prices.

Their stuffis pretty rugged and well made...my wifes family has a lot of their shotguns and rifels i like all of them i have messed with.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

jyo
    One of my favorite little rifles is an old single-shot Ruger #3 in .223---accurate, fun and lightweight---a real modern classic.

I don't know anything about NEF's but I have spent a lot of time with Thomson Contenders. Very accurate and easy to work up good loads for including their wildcat cals.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Sponsored Links