Magazines - How Many Is Too Many...?

This is a discussion on Magazines - How Many Is Too Many...? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While I'm on a role with asking somewhat off-the-wall questions.... How many magazines, stripper clips, speed loaders or similar to you have for each firearm? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magazines - How Many Is Too Many...?

Magazines - How Many Is Too Many...?

While I'm on a role with asking somewhat off-the-wall questions....

How many magazines, stripper clips, speed loaders or similar to you have for each firearm? Is there such a thing as "too many"? I ask that seriously. Obviously, if you're an LEO - be it Patrol, Jail, Detective or SWAT - you can rarely ever have too many, right?

If you're Military and Deployed - particulalry if you're on patrol and/or a SpecOps troop - you can NEVER have too many.

If you've a cilly-villain - or semi-cillly-villain (in my case, AD USAF who doesn't carry a firearm as part of his current every day duties) - can you have too many?

For instance, I have the Springfield Armory XD-40 Service (4" barrel) and XD-40SC (Sub-Compact w/3" barrel). I have a total of 14 (well, 13, as I loaned of my 12rnd mag's to a lady friend who purchased a used XD-40 which only came w/one mag) magazines - nine 12rnd (which fit in both of the above pistols) and five 9rnd (which only fit in the SC). My wife sorta laughs about it, as do a couple of friends.

Part of the reason I bought this many is that I'm sorta lazy and don't want to have to constantly reload at the range. I've got some friends/range buddies who only have one or maybe two and constantly reload. When I go shoot, I want to pump out as many rounds as I can in one go. I don't know why I'm wired like this, I just am.

I'd prolly want to have at least three to five magazines per pistol, regardless, as it just makes sense to me should one of the SHTF Scenarios crop up out of the blue. Especially for when the Zombie Apoclypse finally breaks.

I'd definitely want at least five or so for any AR I'd purchase in the future. I also plan to get extended tube magazines for any future shotgun purchases, if said shotgun doesn't already come with the extended tube. I plan to purchase another four or so stripper clips for my Mosin-Nagant in the future, bring my total load up to six stripper clips worth of ammo ready to go.

So, thoughts/opinions? I'm interested in hearing them, both Pro or Con.

How many do you have per firearm (on average, I don't need to know all of your secrets!)?
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

2. Remove Ads

Average, minimum of ten.

You can only have too many if you're on fire or trying to swim.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the reminder. Instead of my next purchase, I need to do another round of magazines. Don't forget the (recoil) replacement springs too!

Well, if you have to move the bed out of the master bedroom to make room for more magazines, that might be too many.

I won't have less than 3 magazines for a semiauto pistol, and no less than 5 mags for any rifle or carbine. I prefer to have around 10-11 for each firearm though.

I do make an exception for my plinkers though. I don't tend to think of them as working guns, only as "funguns." So I'm really not too worried about magazines for them. They tend to fall into the "if I think about it when I see them", not so much as the "must buy X number of mags to bring these up to my OCD level of acceptance."
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I have about 30 (yes, thirty) mags for my M4gery (AR platform, 20 PMAG, 10 GI mag), 10 mags for my P229, 5 mags for P239, 4 mags for MK9, 10 for my Beretta....

You can't have too many
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have 2 10-rounders and a 13-rounder (G21) for my G30, 2 (8 rds) for my 4566, and one for my .22 conversion--only because I can't find another. After my first trip to the range with the 4566, I can agree with your lack of enthusiasm for reloading mags, so I might pick up a couple more when I get the $.

There, now you know all my dirty little secrets.

3-4 seems a good number for most people that shoot often. Some will never have more than one.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I don't think that it is possible to have too many.

I know that I don't have enough.

5 for the 1911; 3 for the Glock; 2 for the LCP; 2 for the 10/22. Nope, nowhere near enough.

I recently acquired an ant-zombie rifle; a Saiga AK, and the plan is to have at least 10 mags for it. I would like to have 10 mags for each weapon and go from there.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Need to ask yourself, "How many Zombies will I need to kill?"

Any good Zombie plan always has a minimum of 15-20. Just get a MOD VEST and see how many you can strap on. Once you find out, share it with the rest of us.

Ray
    Texas
    Check out my websites....

http://www.prophezine.com

http://survival4christians.blogspot.com/

Μολὼν λαβέ

I have 4 for my Glock 27 and I walk out the door with all 4 of them everyday but I only have 2 for my Glock 17 but I do plan on picking on an extra very soon. For me that is sufficient but as it has already been stated you can never have too many.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Average, minimum of ten.
    That doesn't include drums where aplicable.

Minimum of 5-6 per serious defense handgun; no fewer than 3 per other handguns, such as the compact 9s and snubs, and recreational plinkers.

For the ARs, 10 to 15 each, minimum. These mags seem to get beat up faster than the pistol mags do in practice and training. Also, in a SHTF situation the ARs will be primary weapons and the sidearms will be secondaries. Plenty of loaded mags gives me more opportunities to get to high ground before I need to pause and re-fill 'em.

SIGguy229 has it right - you can't have too many.

Griffworks, I commend you for bringing this up. Just like folks who slap their kilobuck handgun into a $10 shapeless nylon holster, there are too many out there who are content with just one spare magazine or speedloader. Let's guide our friends and the 'uninformed, but willing' toward achieving a balanced approach to their defensive equipment.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

If you have more magazines than ammo - think about getting more ammo. Then you have a lame (but usable) excuse to get more mags. Then again, you can hold the extra mags as back-ups for when a mag goes "bad".
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

If it takes a truck to haul your ammo, you have enough.

Mags and ammo are like money, you never have enough!
    "The Day We Lose The Second Amendment Will Be The Day We Start The Second Revolution"
    "I Didn't Vote For Him"!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links