piston conversion kit for AR-15

This is a discussion on piston conversion kit for AR-15 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just got a cabellas catalog in the mail, and saw a piston conversion kit for the AR-15. Just curios if anybody has converted their AR, ...

Thread: piston conversion kit for AR-15

piston conversion kit for AR-15

Just got a cabellas catalog in the mail, and saw a piston conversion kit for the AR-15. Just curios if anybody has converted their AR, and how well they work. The add also claims it reduces recoil, I always thought that they increased recoil. I'm not so sure I want one they are pretty expensive. Any info would be appreciated.
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I see absolutely no need for one. An expensive, heavier answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

The AR platform is designed to be DI, and it works just fine that way. If it really, really, really floats your boat, well, it's your money. But I'll never have one. If I wanted a piston "AR" I'd get a Sig 5XX series...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

you know the cheapest way to solve the two issues some people have with the AR right?

DI vrs piston,
    bullet size and power

Buy an AK

Just kidding with ya. I guess my point is, if you've had issues the the DI aspects of your AR platorm, then it may be a way to correct the issue

They were having troubles with the piston system causing the Bolt carrier to tilt up as it went back causing some galling on the buffer tube IIRC
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I see absolutely no need for one. An expensive, heavier answer to a problem that doesn't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    They were having troubles with the piston system causing the Bolt carrier to tilt up as it went back causing some galling on the buffer tube IIRC
    We have two winners here :) :) :)

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post

The AR platform is designed to be DI, and it works just fine that way. If it really, really, really floats your boat, well, it's your money. But I'll never have one. If I wanted a piston "AR" I'd get a Sig 5XX series...
    Same for me. I like my RRA LAR-15 the way it is. Why fix something that's not broken?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Supposed to keep the bolt cooler and cleaner, but unless you're firing hundreds of pounds thru it in a hurry, I don't see it doing a lot.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The "piston conversion" is a solution to a problem that does not exist. The idea of adding more moving parts to a weapon in order to make it more reliable is absurd.

Just buy that. It'll keep your AR running till parts break or wear out. Assuming you have a quality AR that should be about 10k-15k rounds.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    They have somewhat of a niche with supressed SBRs, but only barely, and you WILL get carrier tilt issues, which doesn't sound so bad at first, but can totally ruin your day if you are planning the AR as a defensive firearm.

If you must have a piston system, go for one that is built from the ground up to be as such. (AK style rifle, or Sig 556. Possibly a kel tec SU16.)
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Links