Defensive Carry banner

Taurus Millenium PT145 Failure to Feed

14K views 23 replies 22 participants last post by  TeflonDon 
#1 ·
I bought a Taurus Millenuim PT 145 from Mid America Arms in St. Louis, Missouri. It was used and they don't test fire used weapons. I paid 3 bills for it. After I bought this, pistol I took it out to the range
and it malfunctioned, consistently failing to feed. So I paid 50 dollars to have it shipped back to Taurus for repair. They had the pistol for 5 weeks. So when I got it back I took to the range and it malfunctioned again the same problem. Failure to feed. Now I'm out $350.00 dollars for basically what is a parts gun. Maybe I could go some more magazines for this money pit. I will never buy another gun from Mid America Arms or another Taurus.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Please check you magazine springs. As long as the gun is ejecting spent rounds then it could be crappy mag springs. Been there...done that. You should also try several types of ammo. My Taurus would not work with HP ammo at all. However...I could run FMJ round nose through it all day. Semi wad cutters worked 98% of the time as well.

Just my two cents.

#4 ·
Faulty Mags are my first thought. Perhaps the follower is faulty as well. I'd recommend purchasing one new mag and a couple of diffrent boxes of ammo (diffrent types, HP's, FMJ's, etc.) and run it next rang trip. If that works' the problem solved and your good to go. If not, get rid of it.

I with you on being frustrated with it. I owned a Sig P229 (.40) that wouldn't feed anything after 7 to 10 rounds. Sigs are known for reliability but after sending it back ,had a local gunsmith work on it' and did some work on it myself......... still had the same problem (had two diffrent buddies shot it with the same outcome) I got rid of it and won't own another Sig.

#5 ·
Okay, let me tell you the deal on this. I had a PT145 for about a year and went through the same thing.

The bottom line is that Taurus ships the wrong magazines with the PT145.

Go back and read that again. I'll wait. I'm totally serious about this.

Look at your mag followers. These aren't the greatest pics, but:

At the time I got mine, I joined TaurusArmed.net to get some info on this jam-o-matic. I learned over there that the magazines were....TADA!....backordered. :aargh4:

So rather than wait for Taurus to replace my mags "whenever they felt like it," I went to Gander Mountain and bought a factory PT145 mag. Guess what? The gun actually ran with it.

So I went back and bought another one. Same result. It would still jam about every third mag or so, but this was a great improvement.

So in short, the mags with the "sharp" edge on the followers work. The mags that ship with the gun don't.

As of two weeks ago, I looked at a brand new PT145 and guess what? They're still shipping it with the mags that jam.

I went through the entire spring snipping drudgery, packing grease removal, you name it. Routine maintenance is one thing; having to be a gunsmith is another.

So if you get the chance, compare your mag followers with a new factory mag sold separately. I'm willing to bet that they're completely different.

Keep us posted, okay?

#12 ·
Are the rounds nose diving? If so I agree with everyone saying it's the mags. I had the same problem with mine. Also, if you already paid shipping to them once and they didn't fix the problem I would call customer service and demand a shipping label to ship it back to them.

#13 ·
I made an account here after fixing my PT145. The FTF problem with mine was that the slide lock lever internal to the polymer grip extruded too far. As ammunition rises from the magazine, the bullet tip contacts the lever and engages the slide lock. Next time you get a FTF, look and see if the slide lock is engaged. If so, you may have the same problem I had. I first tried filing it, but my jewler's files would't make a dent. I used my Dremel with a stone bit to take some metal off that lever, and now it feeds flawlessly. There's still plenty of lever left to meet the mag follower and engage the slide lock with an empty mag. Hope this helps, Good luck!

#15 ·
:buttkick:peace on Taurus

What a stupid thing for them to do if its true.
Keep shipping the same mags that keep giving everyone trouble.

#17 ·
I will never buy another gun from Mid America Arms or another Taurus.
I know nothing about Mid America but I can tell you this. My friend has the same pistol. In his case it fails to fire leaving only a tiny dent in the primer. He sent it back to Taurus. They kept it 3 weeks and shipped it back. Same problem. As best as we can tell, they never even bothered to work on it. It now lays useless in a box in the closet.

That was enough for me to pass the Taurus disply at the gun stores without a hesitation.

Very sad state of affairs.

Best!

#21 ·
Mine too.

The cure is altering the magazine. The ears that release the cartridge extend forward too far. The case will not rise to meet the chamber early enough in the cycle and gets trapped low and against the feed ramp. I have modified both or the magazines by disassembly and with a file removing the front of the release ears rearward so that the cartridge is released 0.4" from its forward travel. When released, the cartridge is elevated by the spring and plate to the bore center. Now both of the magazines feed everything I have loaded. Ball, a mix of defensive loads and +P.

There is a warning out about carrying with a loaded chamber and accidental discharge if dropped. Question? Can this gun be chamber loaded in the double action mode safely? Sounds like the single action striker can be upset with impact. The double action mode could preclude this.

Good luck.

#22 ·
So, while this what some call a necrothread, I'm glad you posted it because someday someone will be in the exact situation as the OP and hopefully they'll find your post.

As for converting the gun to DAO, I can only speak for my PT111 G2. In the pic below, the arrows point to what I believe are called the striker latches. Most striker fired guns have only one, but on these Tauruses the top latch is the DA latch, and the lower red arrow points to the SA latch. So, if you remove the SA latch, the gun would be double action only. Note, however that this voids your apparently crappy but lifetime warranty. You might want to take it a gunsmith. It should be pretty cheap and that way you keep the latch in case you ever need warranty work.

Finger Hand Gadget Tire Thumb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.