Tap, rack OUCH!

This is a discussion on Tap, rack OUCH! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In anticipation of purchasing my new SA Lightweight Champion Operator I've been doing a lot of dry fire practice with my Colt series 80. So ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tap, rack OUCH!

Tap, rack OUCH!

In anticipation of purchasing my new SA Lightweight Champion Operator I've been doing a lot of dry fire practice with my Colt series 80. So yesterday I decided to do some tap, rack bang failure drills. I started slow and then speed up. When I decided to try to what I considered to be full speed things went a bit wrong. I got the tap down but when I when I went to rack I lost my grip on the slide and my hand flew backwards towards the rear sight. The rear sight caught my index finger right at the cuticle and scrapped a good chunk of skin off my finger up to the first finger joint. Not deep enough to need stitches but DEFINITELY deep enough to produce a good amount of blood and copious amount of pain. Moral of the story? I'm not nearly as coordinated as I thought I was...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

I cringe with pain just reading this!!!

WOW!

While many don't favor it, that's one of the reasons I prefer a pinch grip at the rear of the slide.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    yeah..the slide can be rather unforgiving...during an idpa match i performed a reload and was on the trigger before my support hand was in position on the next targets...slide went up under my thumbnail and took a chunk of skin and nail with it...it wasnt so bad i couldnt finish the match and i stayed right on the stage with good time...but it hurt like a sonofabitch when it happened....

VIP Member
    Ouch. Cuticle wounds are brutal. I did the same thing reaching in my front jeans pocket for car keys, and peeled the cuticle back on my index finger on the edge of a pocket knife.

How fast does a tap-rack-bang need to go? I tend to not hurry this exercise as I want to be deliberate and forceful (especially on the 'tap').

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    How fast does a tap-rack-bang need to go?
    I don't know but I can tell you mine will be going a HECK of a lot slower from now on lol.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    While many don't favor it, that's one of the reasons I prefer a pinch grip at the rear of the slide.
    Yep.

Actually that is proper form called the 'Slingshot' method but sadly instead very often you see people going over the top, even going so far as to trap/cover the ejection port.

Image source - Cornered Cat - Rack the Slide

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

+1 for slingshot. my hand stays @ the rear
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Ouch.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    So yesterday I decided to do some tap, rack bang failure drills. I started slow and then speed up. When I decided to try to what I considered to be full speed things went a bit wrong...
    Not deep enough to need stitches but DEFINITELY deep enough to produce a good amount of blood and copious amount of pain.
    Imagine if you had to do this in a real emergency in a Wally World parking lot?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Ouch, it hurts just to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Yep.

Actually that is proper form called the 'Slingshot' method but sadly instead very often you see people going over the top, even going so far as to trap/cover the ejection port.

Image source - Cornered Cat - Rack the Slide

- Janq
    Jang..your opinions and posts on this forum are widely appreciated and respected. On this particular subject, I have to disagree with you when you say "going over the top" to rack the slide is incorrect. I believe there are quite a few good shooters that use the over the top "tap - rack (rip is more like it) - bang" to emergency/tactical reload or clear malfunctions. It's the way I train (going over the top), the way I was taught by what I consider some top notch pros, and I have not blocked nor covered the ejection port YET, to my knowledge. The key is after you tap the mag home, then come over the top and "RIP" the slide (meaning let your hand slide off the back of the slide as you rack it). I agree with you that if you "ride the slide" when you rack it, then you definitely stand the chance of blocking the ejection port and even getting a little bit of "glock bite"... Take a look at this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVwmrXT6iZk JMO Stay safe Sir...I enjoy your posts.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

my tap rack drill consists of dropping the 10mm and grabbing the .357 and or .380

Ouch, it hurt just reading the post

I can't pull from the back of the slide; I don't have the hand strength. I rip it from the top, and haven't had a problem with it yet.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links