My range story (long)

My range story (long)

This is a discussion on My range story (long) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The range I go to is just an open area that the wildlife department lets people shoot at; there are a few divots cut into ...

Thread: My range story (long)

My range story (long)

The range I go to is just an open area that the wildlife department lets people shoot at; there are a few divots cut into the hills as backstops and everyone can come and go as you please, just pick up after yourself (which no one does and its irritating). I picked up a couple of boxes of ammo last weekend so I went up there today.
    Everything was good, there were a few other people there but not crowded by any means and I got my favorite spot. I get halfway through a set of clay pigeons I had set up as targets when I hear a car approaching. I safety my rifle (Savage .308 with a bipod) and I turn around to see a car pulling right in behind mine. I thought this was a little weird as there were plenty of places open to shoot, so I got up and greeted him. He seemed nice enough, and apparently he decided he wanted to shoot in the same area I was. Whatever, I know how to share, plus he had an Ak-47 he said I could try, and a mosin nagant he had just picked up from cabelas.
    I lay down to finish my round of pigeons when he starts shooting at my targets. That kind of made me mad, I though he was going to be using the spot directly to the left of me (there are two spots right there kind of in an L shape). I let it go and finished what I had loaded in my rifle and put it away. He hands me his mosin and I shoot it once, nice rifle, fairly accurate. Then he hands me his AK, besides the first round that misfired it was pretty good also.
    I hand him his rifles back and go to set up a few targets for my AR, I made sure he knew I was going out to set up before I walked out. As I'm walking back he is fumbling with his AK trying to get the bolt to close on a new mag or something and he passed me with the muzzle about 3 times! Now the little voice in my head is saying, "screw it let him shoot the pigeons and just leave". Well I didn't listen, instead I shot a mag with my AR, and he continued to shoot at my targets which wouldn't have been a big deal if he had just asked but he didn't so it made me mad.
    I decided it was time to go, this guy was making me a little nervous and had already ruined my fun. So I pack up my rifles and go to get in my car when he walks up and starts talking about some comic booklets he has. Somehow he went on and on for literally an hour and a half as I am sitting in my car trying to leave. He talked about religion forever and about how he has special bullets that normal people can't get (he works security or something) and he wouldn't stop. Finally when he took a breath I just told him I have got to go, and closed my door; I don't like being rude but this guy could not take a hint.
    A few things that I learned:
    1 I can still hear cars approaching while shooting with ear plugs in, thats a good thing
    2 As soon as you think you shouldn't be around someone, that is the time to leave, don't wait around to see what happens next
    3 I like the mosin nagant
    4 Once you let some people get on the subject of religion (not trying to start a religous conversation here I know thats against the rules) they will not stop until they have said what they want to
    5 I need to find a range buddy
    So that's my story I wanted to share, I hope I didn't bore anyone; I'm not sure what I hope to accomplish by posting it, I just wanted to share.

Thank god I live in the desert and dont have to deal with ranges. if some stranger muzzle swept me three times we would have had issue. You sir have the patience of a saint.

I love my Mosin-Nagant and highly recommend it.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
    I love my Mosin-Nagant and highly recommend it.
    I will probably be adding it to my list of guns to buy after shooting it today.

Lucky so far, nothing too dangerous or strange at a range...so far.

The great thing about public ranges is.... they are free.

The problem with public ranges is....they are free.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    The range I go to is just an open area that the wildlife department lets people shoot at; there are a few divots cut into the hills as backstops and everyone can come and go as you please, just pick up after yourself (which no one does and its irritating). I picked up a couple of boxes of ammo last weekend so I went up there today.
    Everything was good, there were a few other people there but not crowded by any means and I got my favorite spot. I get halfway through a set of clay pigeons I had set up as targets when I hear a car approaching. I safety my rifle (Savage .308 with a bipod) and I turn around to see a car pulling right in behind mine. I thought this was a little weird as there were plenty of places open to shoot, so I got up and greeted him. He seemed nice enough, and apparently he decided he wanted to shoot in the same area I was. Whatever, I know how to share, plus he had an Ak-47 he said I could try, and a mosin nagant he had just picked up from cabelas.
    I lay down to finish my round of pigeons when he starts shooting at my targets. That kind of made me mad, I though he was going to be using the spot directly to the left of me (there are two spots right there kind of in an L shape). I let it go and finished what I had loaded in my rifle and put it away. He hands me his mosin and I shoot it once, nice rifle, fairly accurate. Then he hands me his AK, besides the first round that misfired it was pretty good also.
    I hand him his rifles back and go to set up a few targets for my AR, I made sure he knew I was going out to set up before I walked out. As I'm walking back he is fumbling with his AK trying to get the bolt to close on a new mag or something and he passed me with the muzzle about 3 times! Now the little voice in my head is saying, "screw it let him shoot the pigeons and just leave". Well I didn't listen, instead I shot a mag with my AR, and he continued to shoot at my targets which wouldn't have been a big deal if he had just asked but he didn't so it made me mad.
    I decided it was time to go, this guy was making me a little nervous and had already ruined my fun. So I pack up my rifles and go to get in my car when he walks up and starts talking about some comic booklets he has. Somehow he went on and on for literally an hour and a half as I am sitting in my car trying to leave. He talked about religion forever and about how he has special bullets that normal people can't get (he works security or something) and he wouldn't stop. Finally when he took a breath I just told him I have got to go, and closed my door; I don't like being rude but this guy could not take a hint.
    1 I can still hear cars approaching while shooting with ear plugs in, thats a good thing
    2 As soon as you think you shouldn't be around someone, that is the time to leave, don't wait around to see what happens next
    4 Once you let some people get on the subject of religion (not trying to start a religous conversation here I know thats against the rules) they will not stop until they have said what they want to
    So that's my story I wanted to share, I hope I didn't bore anyone; I'm not sure what I hope to accomplish by posting it, I just wanted to share.
    Have you tried telling him not to shoot at your targets? Nothing wrong with leaving but you just gotta stand up sometimes. Pull him to the side and give him a pep talk but be polite. Otherwise you might have to put up with his s*** over and over again the next time you run into him again. And you might end up being a victim of his mishaps. If you are legally allowed to, it also never hurts to carry a loaded sidearm just in case you run into unsavory people or wild animals or in case he escalates into a deadly argument.
    Last edited by Jason Storm; July 14th, 2010 at 08:04 PM.

I have never had anyone do any unsafe practices at the outdoor range. But in the indoor range, it is sometimes common and I will be very quick to correct someone if he/she pointed it in my direction.

I would not waste my time hearing him talk since he was basically showing off.

Sorry you had to deal with this sort of thing. Next time both of you share the range again, you definitely need to give him a serious talk.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    The great thing about public ranges is.... they are free.

The problem with public ranges is....they are free.
    The public range I use isn't free ($10); someone has to pay for the shot-up range supports and frames! But it is tightly controlled by a range official at all times, so it's (relatively) safe.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Have you tried telling him not to shoot at your targets? Nothing wrong with leaving but you just gotta stand up sometimes. Pull him to the side and give him a pep talk but be polite. Otherwise you might have to put up with his s*** over and over again the next time you run into him again. And you might end up being a victim of his mishaps. If you are legally allowed to, it also never hurts to carry a loaded sidearm just in case you run into unsavory people or wild animals or in case he escalates into a deadly argument.
    I probably could have just asked him to stop but he seemed a little weird and I just didn't want to deal with it.
    I was carrying my sidearm but I wasn't shooting it that day, I never go without it if I can help it.
    If I see him there again, I will be leaving before he can get started on his rants; I'm going to try a different spot my friend showed me so hopefully I won't see him anymore.

At least you won't get to listen to that guy again. Yet, you let him go on for an hour and a half? That's your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmac58 View Post
    At least you won't get to listen to that guy again. Yet, you let him go on for an hour and a half? That's your fault.
    I know, I'm way too nice sometimes.

I know, I'm way too nice sometimes.
    Charlie,
    I have the same problem (and the same name!). People like that always seem to zero in on folks like us who are too nice to tell them to go away. A range buddy would be good insurance for such a situation.

I use the soft type ear plugs, the one you roll up then allow to expand in your ear, and they do a great job of protecting your hearing while allowing ambient sound through. I find that the muffs don't work very well when you wear them with eye protection.

Anyway, I'm glad you got outta there in one piece!
    Stay safe,
    CinSC

Links