Need .22 pistol selection help

This is a discussion on Need .22 pistol selection help within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Despite all the firearms I own, I've been neglecting for too long having a .22 pistol. I've decided that I am going to remedy this ...

View Poll Results: Best .22 pistol for under $400

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger Single Six

6 12.24%
  • Chiappa 1911-22

0 0%
  • G2g1911-22

2 4.08%
  • S&W 22A

7 14.29%
  • Sig Mosquito

5 10.20%
  • Ruger Mark2/3

29 59.18%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need .22 pistol selection help

Need .22 pistol selection help

Despite all the firearms I own, I've been neglecting for too long having a .22 pistol. I've decided that I am going to remedy this in the next couple of days, but need to narrow down the list. I'm going to put a cap on cost of around $400 dollars. Mostly it will just be getting used for fun, plinking and stuff like that. Here are the top choices:

Ruger Single Six, is one of those pistols that has been around forever, has a good reputation. You can get the .22 magnum cylinder to switch out too, giving a bit more power for small varmints. I've got some SAA clones, and love the design and feel of the pistol and all that. The Single Six may be cutting it close on that $400 limit though.

Chiappa or Gsg 1911 clones in .22. Really I don't know or haven't heard too much about either of this pistols. Concept for both seems solid, although I don't know about the follow through from either company (I do know that Gsg makes the .22 Mp-5 clones, Chiappa I really know nothing about, aside from their new revolver is ugly). The bonus to one of these is that I carry a 1911, so it could provide a training platform similar to my carry gun for a cheaper price.

S&W 22A I know that these are plastic, and usually about $220 at my gunstore. They seem like decent little pistols, although nothing about them really wows me usually (certainly not like a S&W model 41). They seem like a bare bones .22 for plinking, but they aren't as much as some of the other options.

Sig mosquito, I own a couple sigs, they are both great. But this pistol always seems to get mixed reviews, usuall due to reliability and it being a bit picky about ammo. A large number of .22 semis can be, which can be an issue, because this pistol will be used when I just wanna pick up a brick of something for $20 at wal-mart, and plink away all afternoon.

And finally a Ruger Mark 2 or 3, I've got a lot of experience with the Ruger semi-auto .22s (heck if you take on apart once you have about two hours worth of experience) They are a pain to dissassemble, but fun, accurate little pistols, and not too expensive. I'd probably hope for a deal on a heavy barreled model if I was going to go for one of them.

So, anyone want to try and convince me they which of these is the best? Thanks for the help
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Its not on the list but, what about the Beretta Neos? with a red dot?

It looks like a space gun but is easy to field strip and mine seems accurate
    enough out to 25 yds.

Erik I never really have been awed by the Neo, mostly because of the looks. And I'm not really looking for a red dot platform .22. None of my handguns I own have any optics on them, and this .22 pistol will almost certainly be used in the future to help teach new shooters how to shoot pistols, so I'll need the sights open so they can learn sight alignment and sight picture.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

S&W Model 17 revolver
    Browning Buckmark

I would say the Smith 22A or a Buckmark. I have a Smith 422 and a Buckmark and both have functioned well.
    The trouble with a revolver for plinking/practice is that you will spend an inordinate amount of time reloading, thereby cutting down on your actual shooting time.

Tom, I think the S&W model 17 is probably out of my price range,unless I find a good deal on a used one. The Buckmarks are solid pistols too, forgot about them, too many choices.

Guantes, I see your point about the reloading, but that doesn't seem like much of an issue to me. Recently I went shooting, and had available to shoot 2 1911's, a 3rd gen smith in 9mm, my Rossi .357 snub nosed, and a .357 SAA clone, honestly I had the most fun shooting the SAA clone, just had a cool feel about it. I've got enough both bottom-feeders and wheel guns that I can appreciate the goodness of either, I don't discriminate. And to really get more shooting time I'd need to spend the cash on more magazines (which I will probably do anyways since 3 is the fewest I am comfortable having for a pistol), just a thought.

For you Buckmark guys, how picky are they when it comes to ammo? Any issues with bulk pack type stuff or anything like that? The Browning site has some models that look interesting, although I'd rather get one without the fiber optic front sight, which is a personal preference.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I bought a GSG 1911 22 about 2 weeks ago,I have put over 500 flawless rounds thru it and it is my favorite 22 pistol ever,for around 360.00 out the door.The Chiappa 22 pistols are junk stay away from them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I bought a GSG 1911 22 about 2 weeks ago,I have put over 500 flawless rounds thru it and it is my favorite 22 pistol ever,for around 360.00 out the door.The Chiappa 22 pistols are junk stay away from them
    I actually have both the Chiappa and Gsg web pages up right now. Just looking at the pictures, the Chiappas look kind of cheap. And that is from the manufacturer's webpage where they should take the best picture of it possible. How does our Gsg do with different ammo? Does it do ok with normal bulk federal or remington stuff, or need high-velocity?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I shoot bulk pack Fed through both of mine without any problem.
    I understand re having multiple weapons available to shoot, but .22 is way cheaper.

If you like automatic pistols look at the Ruger

Distinguished Member
    Buckmarks are great if you want to accurately plink. Ours does not seem ammo fussy.

Mosquitos are absolutely positively fussy, but if you just use the CCI mini mags that the manufacturer recommends you will have fun with it. What I like about the Mosquito is that it is good practice for manipulating a sa/da pistol. And it has a big gun feel for general purpose big pistol practice.

I also have a S&W 422, it is really fun - not ammo fussy per se, just easy fun shooting.

That's my 2 cents, good luck with your purchase!

(oh good, we still have the dancing banana) ...oh maybe not

S&W no longer makes the 422, correct? Or am I wrong on that? Years ago I was in a pistol club when I went to Ohio state. And the two types of pistols we had were Mark 2's, and S&W model 41's. I usually shot the 41's, and I loved those pistols, all of them we had seemed to shoot great. S&W was also very kind to our club when we decided we needed to get all of them serviced, since no one knew when the last time it had happened had been. Unfortunately, I don't think a model 41 is in the cards at this time.

But my gun store does currently have Mark 3 22/45s for under $300 bucks, and I do like the grip angle on them better than the normal Mark 2/3s
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

JD
    Administrator
    Why not get a .22 conversion for your 1911?

I've been contemplating getting a Ruger to replace my current bullseye gun as there are some pretty good after market parts available for it. Can't say the same about your other choices. The Chiappi is pretty cheap, I don't think I would like one as much as a Ruger or Browning Buckmark etc. The GSG model is my current vote of your choices unless you want to go the conversion kit route, if you do that you can practice with the trigger of your carry gun and have a better training aide as well as just a plinker.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Why not get a .22 conversion for your 1911?
    I have kicked that idea around, I could put a conversion kit on either of my GI frames, since neither of them is first in the carry rotation anymore. But I don't know, I guess I like buying complete guns? If I was going to look for a conversion kit, which of them do you recommend JD
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I have kicked that idea around, I could put a conversion kit on either of my GI frames, since neither of them is first in the carry rotation anymore. But I don't know, I guess I like buying complete guns? If I was going to look for a conversion kit, which of them do you recommend JD
    Everyone raves about the Marvel kits I want a Unit 2 from them. I have a Kimber kit that I purchased from a buddy, it's been pretty good but can be a little finicky and needs high velocity ammunition, but is plenty accurate and feeds well when you give it good food. I would suggest Advantage Arms, but they are back logged and not taking 1911 Conversion Kit orders.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links