S&W Model 13 & Colt Python

This is a discussion on S&W Model 13 & Colt Python within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know someone selling a S&W model 13, 3" barrel in EC and a Colt Python, 4", blue and also in EC. How much would ...

Distinguished Member

I know someone selling a S&W model 13, 3" barrel in EC and a Colt Python, 4", blue and also in EC. How much would you give for each one? The S&W was made in 1979, I don't know about the Python. I am thinking about buying the S&W if the price is right and I have always wanted a blue Python.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    I know someone selling a S&W model 13, 3" barrel in EC and a Colt Python, 4", blue and also in EC. How much would you give for each one? The S&W was made in 1979, I don't know about the Python. I am thinking about buying the S&W if the price is right and I have always wanted a blue Python.
    The M13 is a neat gun; the 3" heavy barrel model was the FBI issue gun until they went to autoloaders. If you could get one in good condition for $350 I'd say you did well... but I wouldn't go much past $450.

The Python is a whole 'nother game, since they've been almost collector's items since new and out of production a long time.

The best suggestion I can make is to go to GunBroker.com and search out each gun; don't go by the current bid or the "buy now" price, but see what these guns actually sell for when the auctions are over.

I'd be happy to have either one become a part of my collection.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have had both guns over the years and it would be great to get both at a resonable price. Gasmitty is right on with the price quote on the M-13 and the Python will bring whatever someone is willing to pay. Offer him $1000 for the pair and if he takes it go play the lottery because you are a very lucky man.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

The python alone in good condition would probably be worth 900 to $1000.00 price wise,I've owned 3 pythons in the past,when you could buy a brand new blued or nickel one for around $450.00,they are nice guns,but too expensive for me today
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for the help. He wants $550 for the 13 and a $1000 for the Python.

I'm not sure about the Python but in my neck of the woods the Model 13 in good condition will be about what gasmitty has posted, $350 - $375. If you find one in the original box and in safe queen condition, $400 +. I'd like to have that Model 13.

You didn't mention the condition of the Python. Did you check the timing? Any blue wear? Is there an impression of the star extractor on the recoil shield, indicating an end shake problem. In any case $1000 for a nice Python is a fair price and you will absolutely love the gun. For a timing check, hammer cock each chamber VERY slowly and see if the bolt falls into the cylinder recess right before the hammer is at full cock. If the bolt does not fall into the recess there is a timing problem. Colt will charge $85 including return shipping to fix it.

Smith 13 in 3" 275.00 to 325.00 would be a good price.. withthe hight price being on the retail end.. Colt Pythons usually sell for around 750.00 to 1000.00 on the retail end........650.00 might be a great start....
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member
    That's for the replies.

I passed on both of them. I would have carried the 13 some, so I could justify buying it, if the price was right.

Even though I always wanted a Python, it would have been a safe queen, so I couldn't justify having a grand setting in the safe just to take out every now and then to look at. I know that if I sold it down the road, that I would get my money back out of it, but I also know that I wouldn't have sold it.

Links