Would you let others shoot your guns?

This is a discussion on Would you let others shoot your guns? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The reason I ask is because of a scenario that occurred today when I went to the range to try out my brand new Beretta ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you let others shoot your guns?

Would you let others shoot your guns?

The reason I ask is because of a scenario that occurred today when I went to the range to try out my brand new Beretta PX4 Storm. As I was checking in, an older gentleman was there with his two (grand)kids and the man asked to rent a Beretta 92 because one of the kids really loves Berettas. Well, they had none.

So I end up in the lane next to them and I run about 200 rounds through my new toy (not a problem at all btw, love this gun!) and when I was done I loaded two mags and asked the man which kid has the Beretta fetish. (well maybe not in those exact words )

He points to the boy who was probably 15 and I ask him if he wants to try my Beretta. He jumped at the chance. I hand him the unloaded gun and a mag. He fired off a mag then his brother asked if he could try and I let him fire off the other mag. All three of them were impressed by the gun and the one kid was now even more Beretta obsessed. Both handled the gun and themselves in a safe, proper manner and while they weren't great shots they certainly had been taught properly. All three were grateful, polite, and thankful.

As I left, two men who were a few lanes over casually said to me something along the lines of how they couldn't believe I let someone else shoot my gun and that they would never do such a thing. While I never batted an eye at the chance to let this kid fire my gun I got to wondering if I had violated some unwritten code or if these guys were just snobs. I was almost left speechless by their comment and mumbled something along the lines of it not being a big deal.

So, it made me curious...do you let others shoot your guns or are they that personal that you would never let someone else hold and fire them? I'm not going to let two strangers make me feel bad for giving a kid his chance to fire a gun he is interested in but did I cross some sort of secret rule or were these guys just elitist snobs?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    They were snobs, or overly concerned about liability. I'm with you. I'd have done the same thing, and have many times before. heck, that's often how we get to try new guns ourselves!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I have done it. I don't see a problem, depending on circumstances and the individual(s) involved. I always have an additional CC in addition to whatever I shoot.

I let other people shoot my guns all the time at the range. Although, I'm going to be standing right behind them and making sure they don't do anything stupid or unsafe with it. I take friends that have never shot before out quite often, and obviously they shoot my guns since they don't own any. It's a good way to let shooters try new weapons. I think its a good thing. I've got to shoot some cool guns, and made decisions of what to buy based off magazines that strangers have let me shoot out of their guns. I think you did a good thing, but that's just me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Do onto others as you would have them do onto you....

Its pretty cut and dry, you were being friendly and that was the right thing. Forget the snobs and their rules, they dont know that their gun is very unimportant in the grand scheme.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I let other people shoot my guns all the time at the range. Although, I'm going to be standing right behind them and making sure they don't do anything stupid or unsafe with it. I take friends that have never shot before out quite often, and obviously they shoot my guns since they don't own any. It's a good way to let shooters try new weapons. I think its a good thing. I've got to shoot some cool guns, and made decisions of what to buy based off magazines that strangers have let me shoot out of their guns. I think you did a good thing, but that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I have done it. I don't see a problem, depending on circumstances and the individual(s) involved. I always have an additional CC in addition to whatever I shoot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    They were snobs, or overly concerned about liability. I'm with you. I'd have done the same thing, and have many times before. heck, that's often how we get to try new guns ourselves!
    + 1

BTDTGTDT -- many time, never a problem. Even converted a few that way.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    + 1

BTDTGTDT -- many time, never a problem. Even converted a few that way.

Exactly. I think most of us have done this at sometime.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

VIP Member
    As others have said, no problem and I have been given the opportunity to try other firearms myself.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    Do onto others as you would have them do onto you....

Its pretty cut and dry, you were being friendly and that was the right thing. Forget the snobs and their rules, they dont know that their gun is very unimportant in the grand scheme.
    Well said...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Senior Moderator
    Heck yeah..I'll let anybody that wants to shoot what I have shoot to their hearts content. I have even been known to supply ammo.

You cant believe how many people smile...even the ones that thought they were anti-gun because they had never shot one.

To me, its like the gift that keeps on giving. I get as big a kick watching someone shoot else shoot my stuff as I do shooting them myself...sometimes more.

Life is too short not to let someone shoot if they ask. They might not ever have that opportunity again. Besides that, I have made several lifelong friends by either taking them shooting or letting them shoot at the range. Its not a bad thing.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Honestly, if it weren't for 3 different kind souls on the range line one day, who all let me try their different .45acp (Kimber, H&K, and I for the life of me cannot find the make of the third, but it had a large flat thumb safety that levered up, like on a 1911, however, was definately NOT a 1911) I would not be obsessed with the .45, and honestly, would most likely not have pushed as hard to buy one of my own as shortly thereafter (and underfunded) as I did.

We are a kindered sort, we "Gun Nuts", and sharing the love, exposing as many as possible to the experience of shooting is the best way to ensure our very survival.

My response to the friendly advice giver on the line would have been "I hope that your life is never dependant on the person who you didn't let shoot your prissy little gun, so they never went out and persued a purchase of their own."

I will never deny another the opportunity to shoot if it is presented... even if it is my last round for the day.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Man, I hope you dont ever do that around me. I mean if I shoot your gun and like it, I may have to go buy one

When I go to the range with a group of buddies we all let everyone shoot each others weapons. We are out there to have fun and maybe have a little friendly competition. I have gotten to shoot some really great weapons because of this and some people who were new to firearms got to shoot a wide variety of weapons and see what they like. I think it is what any great community would do.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Others have pretty much summed up everything that crossed my mind when I read the OP. Sooooooooo..... +1, Ditto, etc...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I took two non-gunowning friends of mine to the range yesterday. The man had shot a handgun once when he was much younger and the wife had never shot a gun. I took a selection of guns and let them shoot which ever ones they wanted to try, heck I even supplied the ammo. By the time we were finished they were talking about which gun to buy and wanted info on range memberships and ammo costs. I would definately call it a good day for me and them too. Our community just may have two new gun owners and shooters. Isn't that what it is all about?

What you did was fine.
    I have let others shoot my guns on many occasions, and I think that it's the neighborly thing to do.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links