Saiga Magazines

Saiga Magazines

This is a discussion on Saiga Magazines within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone know if a saiga rifle will accept high capacity magazines without doing any conversions? The discription for these ones make it sound like ...

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Saiga Magazines

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array zeppelin03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakewood, OH
    Posts
    884

    Saiga Magazines

    Does anyone know if a saiga rifle will accept high capacity magazines without doing any conversions?

    The discription for these ones make it sound like they will.

    Would be nice to get a cheaper rifle like the saiga and still get reliability and capacity.


  2. #2
    Member Array glockfan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    343
    I got a Saiga 308 , you dont need to convert your rifle to use the high cap mags (15 rds , 25rds).

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array zeppelin03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakewood, OH
    Posts
    884
    Thats good. With how cheap they are i figured it would make a great SHTF rifle. For the same price as an AR, could get a siaga and quite a few bullets

  4. #4
    Member
    Array BaconHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    88
    I don't know enough about to this comment too much, but there is some law I see referenced as 922R that prohibits large magazines in foreign made rifles. I'm not certain it is still in effect, but 922R and Saiga will give you some interesting google results. People talk about swapping out parts to make it just enough "American" to circumvent this law.

    If anyone knows anything more about this feel free to chime in. I too have a Saiga I would like to use a larger mag in if it was legal.

  5. #5
    Member Array glockfan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by BaconHunter View Post
    I don't know enough about to this comment too much, but there is some law I see referenced as 922R that prohibits large magazines in foreign made rifles. I'm not certain it is still in effect, but 922R and Saiga will give you some interesting google results. People talk about swapping out parts to make it just enough "American" to circumvent this law.

    If anyone knows anything more about this feel free to chime in. I too have a Saiga I would like to use a larger mag in if it was legal.
    yes you need to move the trigger guard forward and put a pistol grip .

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array zeppelin03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakewood, OH
    Posts
    884
    You cant just put in the required parts and not worry about moving the trigger guard up? moving it up and redoing the trigger seems more invovled than I'm ready for

  7. #7
    Member Array glockfan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    You cant just put in the required parts and not worry about moving the trigger guard up? moving it up and redoing the trigger seems more invovled than I'm ready for
    the trigger going to feel weird , with a long travel. I just put in mine S308 a single hook G2 trigger , and
    Modify hammer
    fit hammer
    mate hammer sear engagement
    fit disconnector
    fab disconnector spring
    reliability mod bolt hold open
    ream hammer for cross pin engagement (anti walk)

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array zeppelin03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakewood, OH
    Posts
    884
    Once I own one I bet it will be a lot easier to see the steps involve, and their simplicity.

  9. #9
    Member Array glockfan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    Once I own one I bet it will be a lot easier to see the steps involve, and their simplicity.
    yes is easy to converted , the only thing the gun smith did is the trigger job for $30 .

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array zacii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    arizona
    Posts
    3,760
    Here's a link for some good info on 922r compliance


    If you want to run high capacity mags, that will put you in violation of 922r, unless you make some minor modifications.

    Basically, your Saiga has 14 imported parts*, including the mag. If you don't want to do the pistol grip conversion, then the easiest thing to do would be to run USA mags, that counts as 3 parts (mag body, spring & follower), and change out one more thing, like the gas piston.

    You basically cannot have more than 10 imported parts on it, if you want to take it out of the 'sporting' configuration. High capacity mags, pistol grips and muzzle brakes, etc; take you out of that 'sporting configuration'

    I wanted to use the abundant AK mags available, so I had to reduce to 10 parts, not including the mags. So, I did the more popular conversion:

    FCG 3 parts
    Stock 1 part
    Pistol grip 1 part
    Forearm 1 part



    *This info from dinzagarms, says that Saigas only have 14 parts, but the Gunwiki link mentioned first, lists 16 parts. I believe that the Gunwiki page lists all the parts for AK variants, including, but not limited to Saigas. Saigas do not have pistol grips or muzzle attachments, thus reducing their total parts by 2. But, to be safe, I was sure that I was compliant with the 16 part list.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

    "A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

  11. #11
    Member Array cz2075bd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Here's a link for some good info on 922r compliance


    If you want to run high capacity mags, that will put you in violation of 922r, unless you make some minor modifications.

    Basically, your Saiga has 14 imported parts*, including the mag. If you don't want to do the pistol grip conversion, then the easiest thing to do would be to run USA mags, that counts as 3 parts (mag body, spring & follower), and change out one more thing, like the gas piston.

    You basically cannot have more than 10 imported parts on it, if you want to take it out of the 'sporting' configuration. High capacity mags, pistol grips and muzzle brakes, etc; take you out of that 'sporting configuration'

    I wanted to use the abundant AK mags available, so I had to reduce to 10 parts, not including the mags. So, I did the more popular conversion:

    FCG 3 parts
    Stock 1 part
    Pistol grip 1 part
    Forearm 1 part



    *This info from dinzagarms, says that Saigas only have 14 parts, but the Gunwiki link mentioned first, lists 16 parts. I believe that the Gunwiki page lists all the parts for AK variants, including, but not limited to Saigas. Saigas do not have pistol grips or muzzle attachments, thus reducing their total parts by 2. But, to be safe, I was sure that I was compliant with the 16 part list.
    I believe this is right. Somewhere on the web I found a calculator that told me what parts to change. I did some quick part swaps on my Saiga (12) for 922r purposes, to allow me to use a made-in-USA hi-cap magazine. All I did was swap out the gas puck (piston) for an American one, and replace the thread protector with an American one. This was necessary because I had the threaded barrel and the factory thread protector counts as an additional foreign part (a muzzle attachment).

    Note that in this configuration you can't use just any old Hi-capacity magazine, but only made in America magazines with all parts stamped US or USA or MADE IN USA. BTW I believe the 3 magazine parts that "count" are the body, follower and floorplate. I don't think the spring matters.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

  12. #12
    VIP Member Array zacii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    arizona
    Posts
    3,760
    Quote Originally Posted by cz2075bd View Post
    I believe this is right. Somewhere on the web I found a calculator that told me what parts to change. I did some quick part swaps on my Saiga (12) for 922r purposes, to allow me to use a made-in-USA hi-cap magazine. All I did was swap out the gas puck (piston) for an American one, and replace the thread protector with an American one. This was necessary because I had the threaded barrel and the factory thread protector counts as an additional foreign part (a muzzle attachment).

    Note that in this configuration you can't use just any old Hi-capacity magazine, but only made in America magazines with all parts stamped US or USA or MADE IN USA. BTW I believe the 3 magazine parts that "count" are the body, follower and floorplate. I don't think the spring matters.
    You are right, I stand corrected. I knew that it was 3; just couldn't remember which 3.

    He also can't use AK style mags without a bullet guide. Have to stick with mags made for Saiga. Check these out
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

    "A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

  13. #13
    New Member Array Charlie Xray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South
    Posts
    12
    Saigas are designed to NOT accept high-cap mags. They lack the feed ramp needed to feed reliably, which is built into the low-cap mags supplied with the "sport" version, and the mag catch is slightly longer. Furthermore, if they did/do, they would be 922r non-compliant and the owner subject to Federal prosecution. They are easy to convert and should be done lawfully to avoid problems with the law.

    CX

  14. #14
    Senior Member Array zeppelin03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakewood, OH
    Posts
    884
    Lawfully is how I'm looking to go.

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. So who has a Saiga 12? Tell me about it
    By jwhite75 in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: March 20th, 2010, 05:55 PM
  2. Saiga 410
    By Rustynuts in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 9th, 2010, 10:07 PM
  3. Saiga .223
    By celticredneck in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 30th, 2009, 01:00 PM
  4. Anyone have a Saiga ?
    By hedgehog in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: October 6th, 2008, 05:03 PM
  5. Saiga 308
    By firefighter_56 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 9th, 2007, 03:41 PM

Search tags for this page

922r compliance calculator saiga
,
high capacity magazines for saiga 223
,
is there a high cap mag for a saiga 308 without the conversion
,
saiga .223 high capacity magazine
,

saiga 12 922r calculator

,
saiga 12 magazines
,

saiga 308 hi cap mags

,

saiga 308 high capacity magazine

,

saiga 410 high capacity magazine

,

saiga 922r calculator

,
saiga 922r compliance calculator
,

saiga high capacity magazines

Click on a term to search for related topics.