2002 Kimber pro CDP II

2002 Kimber pro CDP II

This is a discussion on 2002 Kimber pro CDP II within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an old Kimber pro CDP--made before they added the checkered trigger guard detail. This was/is a plus for me--I prefer a smooth trigger ...

Thread: 2002 Kimber pro CDP II

2002 Kimber pro CDP II

I have an old Kimber pro CDP--made before they added the checkered trigger guard detail. This was/is a plus for me--I prefer a smooth trigger guard.

I shopped around for a while before I found this grand old dame. Shot like a dream over everything else and in great condition. A few dings to the frame and a dreaded slide stop scrape that I'll touch up. I'm beginning to think it was either a virtual safe queen, or the guy who owned it before me just never figured out how field strip it and just let it sit--filthy and those slide stop scratches.

Anyone here have one of these older models? Any special maint issues I should keep in mind? MHS/spring in good shape (but will replace with aluminum), barrel looks great now that it's silver again. Seems to run tight and I cannot argue with the accuracy of this little trooper.

Thanks for any tips. She seems like a beauty & I want to keep her that way.
    In youth we learn; in age we understand. ~ Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

The recoil spring on Pro is to be replaced very 700rnds I believe. Many people order an extra power spring from Wolf because they last longer.

I have a couple spare Wolff springs on the way. I also pried off the grips and...*tries not to yak*...it was a slimy mess under the grips. Cleaned it and then swapped out the old wood grips for a new set of slim Alumagrips I've been curious to try. The bushing were all stuck in the frame naturally, but a vice grip with a thin piece of metal in it worked great. Just slid the bushing slots down onto the secure piece of metal and voila! Unscrewed perfectly: no frame or bushing damage. Always happy to have spare small parts! May go back to the wood grips, you never know.

Hmmmm, I guess I'm doing something wrong. I have two pre series II Kimbers (Pro CDP, and a Pro Carry SLE), and both of them have over 10K rounds through them, and are still running on the original springs.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Unless you're running competition, I'd say change the springs if you need to. Like light bulbs, they'll let you know when they need replacing. Since you've got new ones on the way, might as well start out with a fresh set and find out how long they last. I bet you'll be surprised.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

usmcj--I don't think you're doing anything wrong--as my old Kimber is still running great. I've got the springs on order cause I know I'll eventually have to replace them--and they're cheap, so might as well get a couple & stash them. I know what the recommendations are, but everyone I know who has a Kimber has gotten WAY more life out of their springs than the literature would have you follow.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freestate View Post
    I have a couple spare Wolff springs on the way. I also pried off the grips and...*tries not to yak*...it was a slimy mess under the grips. Cleaned it and then swapped out the old wood grips for a new set of slim Alumagrips I've been curious to try. The bushing were all stuck in the frame naturally, but a vice grip with a thin piece of metal in it worked great. Just slid the bushing slots down onto the secure piece of metal and voila! Unscrewed perfectly: no frame or bushing damage. Always happy to have spare small parts! May go back to the wood grips, you never know.
    You CHANGED the Rosewood grips!!! I bought mine BECAUSE of the Rosewood grips.....oh, well....to each his own....hope you enjoy it.....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

lol! I have a pair of slim rosewood grips on the way hudsonvalley! I do really love these Alumagrips, but I also want the option to retain a more 'classic' Kimber pro look--just need those other thin grips to arrive.

But here she is wearing her more sedate, tactical look:

Last edited by freestate; July 22nd, 2010 at 03:47 PM.

Sponsored Links