Moving from VT to CO

This is a discussion on Moving from VT to CO within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am moving in a month or so and am driving to CO from VT. We are getting a shipping crate that we pack ourselves ...

Thread: Moving from VT to CO

Moving from VT to CO

I am moving in a month or so and am driving to CO from VT. We are getting a shipping crate that we pack ourselves and can put our own lock on. The question I have is should I put my guns in there or keep them in my SUV when we move? My biggest concern about keeping them with me is having to drive through NY with handguns. I know there is the peaceable journey federal law but that doesn't really comfort me considering NY seems to have an arrest first policy and ask questions later when it comes to hand guns. The other thing is the fact that I have standard capacity mags (10+) which are illegal in NY. Those I am less worried about sticking in the shipping container. I can replace those if something were to happen. I am either going to put the guns in the shipping container inside the safes or put the safes in the SUV in the back. What do you guys think? I guess my biggest concern with the shipping container is theft but get pulled over in NY and getting arrested is even more scary.
    I know the likelihood of getting pulled over and searched is very unlikely but not impossible so that in itself has me worried. Stupid NY state....
    Can't get out of New England without going through it....
    Thanks for any input you might have on this.
    -J
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

2. Remove Ads

How many guns are we talking about? Do you know anyone in CO that knows a good gun shop, maybe you can ship them to a FFL and pick them up when you get to CO?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Hm... I had thought about shipping them but I know it would be 300 for the transfer (plus shipping I would think) from here and probably another 300+ in CO to get them. The other thing is, I would have to be in CO for a few days at least to get a new drivers license to be able to pick them up from an FFL. The rifles/shotguns I am not worried about. Most of them can come in the SUV with me as they are allowed in NY except the AR and AK. It is mostly the handguns that worry me.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Links