Found a handgun in a Theater?

This is a discussion on Found a handgun in a Theater? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by MitchellCT Leave it alone. Call the police. You don't know where it's been, why it is laying on the floor or anything ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found a handgun in a Theater?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Leave it alone.

Call the police.

You don't know where it's been, why it is laying on the floor or anything else about it...nor do you want to.
    +1

You definitely don't want your prints / DNA on it.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    Any gun that I find, anywhere, stays where I found it; I am not touching it (unless it has to be moved for safety purpose) and I call LE while guarding the gun; it might be a crime scene and I don't want to tamper with it.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Kind of like finding that bag full of a million $s of drug money on the side of the road. What do you do?
    Money on side of road. KA CHING!!

Firearm will get turned over to LE only. With a receipt and ask how does one claim the firearm.

If I found a wallet stuffed with money without ID. I would inform the management of finding a wallet and leave my info in case the true owner comes forward. If they can describe it, I would return it.

I would stand over it, and call the cops with my cellphone....... I would not want to put a print on it, because for all I know it was just used in commission of a crime......

Think about it..... movie theaters are dark, they are classic "get away" zones for bad guys..... for all I know some punk dumped it, after shooting someone several hours ago, or days ago.....it could stick folded up in those seats for a while until someone stumbles into it.....

Sure it could be someones legal CCW on holster leave, but I would not want to take that chance..... I most certainly would not even think of pocketing it. That is just asking for trouble IMO .....

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    One side of me says pocket it. Another says notify police and hope to claim it if no one else comes forth (fat chance there, huh?). Kind of like finding that bag full of a million $s of drug money on the side of the road. Waht do you do?

Guess I'll figure it out when I go to the theater, sit down, and hear something go clunk!
    Money is another story...... that would be much more tempting..... a gun, no way call the cops ..... but money? .....I'm torn. I guess it would depend on the scope of the circumstances when it came to money ..... I know a guy who found $24,000 ..... I used to work with him at a video store, and one night he closed up and went to his car, and in a shopping cart right next to him was a deposit bag..... with the key in it..... and 24k ........ he brought it home..... then called the cops...... turned out one of the neighboring stores manager set it down to load some stuff into his truck and left it behind.... there were three bags and he dropped one...... OUCH! ...... But my friend was honest, and he never second guessed himself..... I think Karma will pay him back someday.....

Everyone needs a burner
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I would have run the numbers make sure its not stolen and then add it to my collection.lol And hope to god it wasn't used in any crimes.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

someone was CC at the previous show and it fell out bad form that...... me I double check everything, spare mags, tactical light, tactical knife, pepper spray, wallet, car keys, HK, mag in HK, before I walk away from the seat.....
    On a side note about 2 years back my son's GF went to the powder room and left her's in the stall, and did not remember until they were several miles from the mall..... OOPS!!!!!! yes some nice person turned it in....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links