Found a handgun in a Theater?

This is a discussion on Found a handgun in a Theater? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just read where a woman sat down with her granddaughter to watch a kids movie and a handgun fell from the seat. She turned ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a handgun in a Theater?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

I just read where a woman sat down with her granddaughter to watch a kids movie and a handgun fell from the seat. She turned it in to the Theater manager who called Police who are trying to find the owner.

Very small chance of this happening to one of us I'm sure - but - just curious - what would YOU do if you found a gun in similar situation (theater, public restroom etc...)

I'm guessing most here would do the same as this lady but curious if someone has a different answer.
    For God, Family and Country!

If it was something nice....finders keepers. LOL JK If I felt comfortable with thte operating system, I would take it to a relatively safe area and unload it then turn over to mgmt.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

First thing, put on tinfoil hat. If I could send someone to get management I would, but I'm not leaving the gun. If I can't send anyone, I would attempt to retrieve the handgun without getting my prints on it, I don't know who this gun has been with or what they've been doing with it, take the gun to management and call the police. Stay with management and the gun, preferably with gun in my possession until police arrive. Tell the police what I found, jokingly offer to keep it if it's clear and not a hi-point
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    There is no telling what really happened to it. Are the police following Federal procedure?

TRACING OF FIREARMS: Firearms information for every firearm taken into police custody should be sent to ATF for tracing and possible connection to other criminal activity.

I'm not saying I would keep it.

I would probably turn it in to the police but would ask for a receipt with make, model and serial number. I might also call ATF to let them know it was turned in.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I'm not sure I would entrust it to the management. I would most likely inform management about the find; but take the responsibility of contacting the police upon myself and wait for the police to show up so I could show the exactly where it was found.

If it's an illegal firearm that may have been used in a crime, exactly where it was found could help leos find a BG. If it is a legally owed or stolen handgun, I would want to be certain that it was given to the police so it could be returned to it's rightful owner.

I think it is unlikely (but, possible) that a legally licensed permit holder would lose a firearm in this manner. (I would suspect a young irresponsible gang-banger.) However, IF this gun is traced back to a legal "permit" holder, they need a good chewing out for being so careless.

I read it as she had someone stand guard over it while she went and got management.

http://www.newschannel5.com/global/story.asp?s=12762229
    I do everything the voices in my wife's head tell me to do!

Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try!

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I don't want a found gun in possession. I too would turn it in. In reality, that is the right thing to do anyway. Now, if it was not claimed and the Police could not locate the owner in a given amount of time that may be a different matter. Assuming the gun was clean.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I'll bet that isn't a bad guy's gun but some poor schmuck's concealed carry piece. Someone, somewhere is probably sick about losing that one.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Leave it alone.

Call the police.

You don't know where it's been, why it is laying on the floor or anything else about it...nor do you want to.

Ex Member
    Keep it. Having a 'throw away' is always nice.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    One side of me says pocket it. Another says notify police and hope to claim it if no one else comes forth (fat chance there, huh?). Kind of like finding that bag full of a million $s of drug money on the side of the road. Waht do you do?

Guess I'll figure it out when I go to the theater, sit down, and hear something go clunk!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Don't touch it; call the cops. Like others have said, you don't know where it's been, so no need to add your prints to it...

Looks like a Kahr PM40 with a CT laser grip...dont think that is a thugs gat. Thats somebodies CCW or maybe even a LEO off duty. I like how they said the trip went from "rated G to rated R" when the gun was found...and the hysterical soccer mom wondering "why would you even need to bring a gun to the Movie theater???" We all know bad guys respect movie theaters and the dark parking lots and alleys that surround them...
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Initial reaction - Finders Keepers, but I'm sure I'd turn it in to police - Not to the theater manager. Who knows if he knows how to handle a gun or not.
    I wouldn't leave it there.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I would certainly turn it in to authorities but managment does not qualify to me as authorities. LE it would be and I would try to do it in a manner that didn't catch the attention of anyone else in the theatre.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links