The end of steel handguns?

This is a discussion on The end of steel handguns? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Aside from revolvers using alternative metals for lighter weight, it seems many guns are going to polymer, such as the PX4, by Beretta, the H&K, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Aside from revolvers using alternative metals for lighter weight, it seems many guns are going to polymer, such as the PX4, by Beretta, the H&K, Glocks, Smith/Wesson M&P, Keltecs, Diamondbacks, Taurus, Ruger LCP/LCR, Springfield XD, etc. Will polymer become the standard amongst many pistols and revolvers? Will alloy and steel no longer be used in the future? Is this why there is a loyal following for the 1911?
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I don't know that 1911's will ever be obsolete, or at least they shouldn't be. However we are seeing a lot of aluminum or other "metal" frames even on 1911's. I think polymer will be here for the long haul and hopefully 1911's and revolvers suitable for clubbing will be right there alongside.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I don't know that 1911's will ever be obsolete, or at least they shouldn't be. However we are seeing a lot of aluminum or other "metal" frames even on 1911's. I think polymer will be here for the long haul and hopefully 1911's and revolvers suitable for clubbing will be right there alongside.
    1911's have begun to go down that road too. Wilson Combats SpecOps 9 is a polymer framed gun.

1911 is my favorite, and I carry a 5" steel one most of the time. I don't see anything changing that for me, as my guns run flawlessly, and conceal very comfortably. That said, I do think it's very arguable that polymer frames are already the standard.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    1911 is my favorite, and I carry a 5" steel one most of the time. I don't see anything changing that for me, as my guns run flawlessly, and conceal very comfortably. That said, I do think it's very arguable that polymer frames are already the standard.
    I would have to agree that poly guns are the standard now, but there will always be a market for metal artillary, there is something about a metal gun that screams "go ahead PUNK, make my day! I am not trying to bash tupperware, I own plenty myself, and enjoy them, but I am getting the ache for something in the 1911 family!
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Aluminum alloy and especially polymer is where it's at. Steel is no longer popular. Steel guns are heavier and steel handguns are generally more expensive to manufacture. I like weight however and am allergic to polymer and aluminum alloy, both which will forever equate to cheapo in my pea-brain. Give me steel revolvers, 1911s, and Hi-Powers and I'll be happy for the remainder of my time on this earth.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I think that steel firearms will be around for a while yet. I think that it is related that just because the military went from blued steel and walnut stocks to the "plastic rifle", doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of blued steel and wooden stocked long-arms around. Firearms folks by and large tend to be a nostalgic group, and while we may embrace the change of the new weapon styles, some of them are always in style (see 1911, Winchester 94, O/U and SxS shotguns, the M1 Garand, and many others as examples). Basically the all have their place in the shooting world, probably until we come up with something better to shoot people with than bullets.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Cost and customer choice will dictate the materials. I for one am for progress, but, like buckeye says, I am nostalgic and want the look and feel of machined metal.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I think that steel firearms will be around for a while yet. I think that it is related that just because the military went from blued steel and walnut stocks to the "plastic rifle", doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of blued steel and wooden stocked long-arms around. Firearms folks by and large tend to be a nostalgic group, and while we may embrace the change of the new weapon styles, some of them are always in style (see 1911, Winchester 94, O/U and SxS shotguns, the M1 Garand, and many others as examples). Basically the all have their place in the shooting world, probably until we come up with something better to shoot people with than bullets.
    I tend to agree with the posters here polymer pistols are here to stay but I don't see revolvers going away from metal
    or 1911 for that matter if you want to keep it in the purist form.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    It will probably be a while before steel is completely eliminated.

Anybody make a polymer 1911 45?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I like carrying alloy guns but hate shooing them so much I just deal with carrying heavy.

Put 100 rounds of even standard 38 through a alloy snubby and I'm done for the day and maybe the next.
    Ruger sp101 and I'm shooting .357's till the bank account screams. same with a steel 5" 1911, it shoots, and absorbs recoil so nice its worth any problems carrying it because I can SHOOT it.
    I just cant deal with very small autos either. Its not a small caliber thing, just cant shoot them comfortably.

Ex Member
    It is REAL hard to 'love' a plastic firearm. Most function well but 'it' just isn't there.

CZ75B

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    I tend to agree with the posters here polymer pistols are here to stay but I don't see revolvers going away from metal
    or 1911 for that matter if you want to keep it in the purist form.
    http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun...merevo_201005/

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    It will probably be a while before steel is completely eliminated.

Anybody make a polymer 1911 45?
    Wilson and BUL Transmark do; Kimber made the Ten series, but it is discontinued now. It is very possible that there are more manufacturers.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links