"Gun Rookies" Family of 4 Wants Me To Teach Them About Guns! .....kind of long....

This is a discussion on "Gun Rookies" Family of 4 Wants Me To Teach Them About Guns! .....kind of long.... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looks like I may be bringing four new people into the world of guns! My boss and long time friend of mine hasn't been brought ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Gun Rookies" Family of 4 Wants Me To Teach Them About Guns! .....kind of long....

Thumbs up "Gun Rookies" Family of 4 Wants Me To Teach Them About Guns! .....kind of long....

Looks like I may be bringing four new people into the world of guns!

My boss and long time friend of mine hasn't been brought up around guns but his curiosity has been teasing him for a while now. A man with common sense and a good will to protect his family, asked me if I could teach him and his entire family about guns. (To me this is very exiting) I told him that I would absolutely love to show his family all that I possibly could.

So, a little background here: He hasn't been around guns much and wasn't raised around them but would like to learn what there is to know to be safe, shoot for fun and to be able to protect his family like all of us do. (Not to mention that he's probably getting tired of me, his boss, and his bosses boss, talking about our CCW's and guns / ammo / fun / and so on. ) I think he's curved himself in our direction as per our conversations. Looks like he finally wants in.

His wife is one of those that is afraid of guns. A petite, fragile thing that has had NO interaction with any type of gun whatsoever. In conversations with her husband, my boss, about guns and possibly going shooting, I've actually seen her cringe simply at the thought of her handling a weapon.

Now, with some history behind that attitude and her: Some 3 years ago or so, I told them that I was a scuba diver and she was pretty scared of the thought of scuba diving too. That is, until she took the class, went diving with me, her husband and others, from the local lakes to the Pacific Ocean. She, and one of her daughters btw, have been my dive buddies on a couple of occasions. Now, none of us can keep her out of the water! So, back to firearms, I see a glimmer of hope there with her, possibly changing the attitude about guns through education and experience.

The daughters: These two are in the same boat as their mom, except for the fact that they are young, (one is 14 and the other is 11) and are more willing to give something new a try as long as there is an adult there to show them properly. Very smart kids I might add.

About 2 weeks ago, I printed off 3 copies of a really good, 5 or 6 page Basic Firearm Safety pamphlet, one for him and his family, and one for his brother's family. (His brother is also interested in shooting now but that's another thread later.) And the third is just an extra just in case they studied at different places or times. I told them that I wanted them all to read and become familiar with these basic rules BEFORE I will ever take them out shooting.

I guess maybe after reading a little bit of what I printed off, something must have sparked in the wife's mind about how guns could be a good thing. I called my boss, (her husband) but she answered the phone because he was driving. So I just asked what they were doing with some other mixed in "small talk" and she said that they have been talking about going shooting and that it seemed like it would be "fun" she says. She actually said it with some enthusiasm and so I talked to her for about 10 minutes on the subject and she was VERY receptive! She asked me if I wanted to talk to her husband and I said, "No." LOL

So here's the deal now.....
    I am scheduled this Sunday evening, to come over to their house to go over some basic gun safety, design, safety, operations, safety, handling and safety. I'm going to bring a revolver, semi-auto, tube fed .22, single shot shotgun, pump shotgun, bolt action rifle, semi-auto .45......you get the point, to show them how they all work. Also, I will explain the basics of how a bullet works vs. shotgun shell etc. with a dry-erase board and the whole bit!

I'm trying to instill the importance of safety and some confidence in them so that they become responsible gun owners and I've already done the explaining to her that guns are kind of like scuba equipment: The equipment in and of itself isn't dangerous, it's the people who don't have the proper training or just plain irresponsible that create the dangerous situation if they don't respect the equipment they are employing. She said, "That makes total sense and I can't wait to try it."

So, after telling her that they will need to buy safety glasses for them and the kids, that need to fit properly, and adding in the fact that I have plenty of ear plugs but she may want to consider headsets for comfort, she took a mental note and it looks like we'll be shooting before too long.

My boss just within the past year or so has acquired a 12 ga., the lower for his AR project, (inspired by his boss and another friend of his) and today, he picks up his new Kimber Ultra CDP II. In fact, looking at my clock here, it is exactly only 4 minutes before he can legally pick it up. I'm going to start the daughters off with a .22 "Chipmunk" rifle and a .22 Marlin auto at first though. The girls are really petite for their ages too and they can't shoot any of Dad's guns yet. But anyways...

I've already informed them that this shooting event is not going to be a firing line type atmosphere, it is going to be a one-at-a-time shooter with no one else handling any other firearm. It's going to be my full, 100% attention on each new shooter at any given time. Of course they know that this is not any sort of formal class or anything either. I'm taking them to a private ranch where the is no one else around and our group can't be distracted by others. Less people = More safe.

So wish me luck on Sunday with the gun familiarity session and I'll be sure to post how the actual shooting went too. Just doin' my job and leaning some more people toward 2A.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

2. Remove Ads

That's awesome. Good luck, I'm sure they will enjoy it.

The family that shoots together.....stays alive together.

I think this is FANTASTIC! Anytime you can SAFELY bring new shooters into the sport and allow them the oppurtunity to make an educated descision on becoming a shooter, you are being a true adavocate for the cause. A whole family at once no less! GREAT JOB!

Let us know what comes of the teaching and the range time!

Enjoy!
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Yes I will certainly post an update on the shooting when it comes along. The thing is, they were never at the point of "anti" but they just never had the opportunity to go with someone who is familiar with shooting. And of course, if you never get that chance and have no experience of your own then all of the things you hear about guns are usually bad things. I hope to change that for them and put a positive note in their thinking. And if the unthinkable were to happen and they had to defend themselves at home or whatever, how great of a feeling that would be if what I taught them just happened to save their lives. But for now, it's all about the exiting part of shooting and how it can be a lot of fun.

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Sounds great,I would have an evening set aside where you go over gun safety,range safety,how a firearm works,keep booger hook off bang switch until ready to shoot,shooting stance target alignment,trigger squeeze,that way once you get to the range they will have the basics down
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yep, that's what this Sunday is for.

Sounds great! Might I also recommend a camera...as they will probably want pictures.....who doesn't like pictures shooting guns?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Sounds great! Might I also recommend a camera...as they will probably want pictures.....who doesn't like pictures shooting guns?
    Good call on the camera. I'll make sure I bring it and maybe even post. Thanks SIG

hbc
    You're a good man for doing this, mprp.

I introduced some liberal school teacher friends of mine (known them since high school) how to shoot....and they had a blast (no pun intended). While they didn't get into shooting, they still talk about the times we went to the range 10 years later!! And what do they show on their Facebook pages? Pictures from when they went shooting....and discuss with their other liberal teacher friend how scary it WASN'T....that there are safe and responsible shooters...normal people. Not the thugs/Rambos shown on TV....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

GM
    That is good. Enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

So Far So Good

So the Sunday firearms orientation kicked off as planned. I showed up at their house at 5:00 pm. and sat down with the family, with none of us knowing what to expect as to how it would end. With the task of having to bring in all of the guns, ten in total, into the house, everyone pitched in, followed me out to my truck and grabbed a handfull. The white dry erase board was produced and not knowing where I was going to start, (I knew that there was just about everything to cover) I asked them all how many times / often have they went shooting. The husband said that he's been shooting on a couple of occasions but the rest of the family had never touched any kind of firearm.

I decided to start with the whiteboard to explain the physics and differences between cartridges and shells to them, at a level they could all understand. It seemed to give a easy to understand picture in their heads as to how a bullet and shotgun shell works from the primer to the patterns and trajectory at distance. Very general, basic information I might add.

I also brought along different loads and lengths of 12, 20 and .410 shells and .22 all the way up to 375 H&H mag. cartridges with examples of before and after caseings that have already been shot. I reload too so I was able to display some good examples of rifle bullets, (the things that actually flies through the air) that are yet to be pressed into brass.

I spent about an hour and a half on the whiteboard and passing around shells before the first gun came out of the case. I figured that the wife may appreciate it more that way if I presented the facts behind the mystery of bullets first and it seemed to have worked.

I started out simple, with a .410 single shot and worked my way through pump shotguns and from a Chipmunk .22 that the youngest was VERY interested in all the way through the workings of an SKS. By the time I broke out the handguns, the wife was hinting with her questions and comments that she was in. Not too bad since before this, she was pretty much scared of guns.

Near the end, I let her hold and dry-fire an SP101, stressing the importance of not aiming it in the house toward any of their neighbors and picked a direction that goes out in a field, even though it was checked by all of us and "empty." I worked on her grip and her stance a bit then gave her the green light to dry fire. T'was within only a few seconds of the first trigger pull and long before she wanted to stop, that her own light came on and I could see her actually picturing herself shooting. She was seemingly more exited when I told her that my uncle and I load some 38's that she would be able to shoot all day long with no worry of big recoil.

I knew things were looking good when I was showing their youngest how to stand and hold the .22 Chipmunk rifle and everyone broke out their cell phones and cameras to take a picture of her. (I will post my own pics while we're actually shooting)

Earlier, while we were still on the shotgun topic, pointing at his front door, the husband asked me if he took his shotgun, (he has a Rem 870) and "hit someone coming through his front door........" I stopped him right there so the rest of the family wouldn't be horrified by my answer and said simply, "He would not continue to threaten you." LOL

I then went on that while they hear about all of the bad things about guns and what they can do to people, they soon should be seeing the other side of guns with the enjoyment that can be had with target practicing and yes, they can also be used as an extremely useful tool that can save your family's life but we can get into the defensive part later. I told them that I first want to take them out to the middle of nowhere and get their shooting habits down with safety being the most important thing.

So as I packed up everything and was going over a lot of questions that they still had, the husband said that it was awesome and he admitted to learning a lot of things even though he had been shooting before and has some experience. He then added that he has never had his entire family's undivided attention for one hour, much less FIVE hours! Hehe

I left their house at 10:00 last night with the feeling that we have four more on our side.

MPRP- Great Job! sounds like a enjoyable time was had by all! I think I have as much fun teaching about firearms as I do shooting them, but 5 hours?!?! The only thing I can think of that would be that fun is Illegal, LOL! I am excited to hear about Range day!
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Absolutely wonderful!

Although I would caution about having live rounds and their counterparts in the same room.

Fly me out there, and I'll help with the live fire stage!!!!

Ok, I promised pics

So some time has passed since I originally posted this thread but the way things worked out, we FINALLY got to go shooting! And even at that, we were a person short on the "family of 4" thing. His wife had to work but when they all got home, from what I've heard, she got an earfull from their girls. I think that I had more fun than they did, just watching them. And I couldnt' get the smiles off of their faces once they got to shoot. Especially when their oldest girl shot my newly acquired AR-15. Her response was, "I like this gun A LOT!"

So the breakdown.....

The youngest got to shoot a Chipmunk .22 LR and Marlin .22 semi-auto rested. That was about all in the collection that I felt comfortable letting her shoot. And she shot extremely well I must add.

Their oldest girl shot the Marlin .22, AR-15, my friend's Mini-14 and my .40 S&W. It was her first handgun she's ever shot and after loading only one round in one of the mags, bringing her left thumb around to support her right wrist and having her shoot that one to see if she could handle it, I then loaded up another mag full and let her shoot away.

Both girls were VERY impressive in everything from accuracy, concentrating on the target and applying the safety when not shooting. However, I did have to say, "Off the trigger" quite a bit. This is a learned habit and needs to be practiced until it is second nature. And I often had to get their shoulders over their hips instead of behind them but they'll learn something each time we go I guess. I don't think that they realized how closely they were being watched from finger on the trigger, muzzle direction and safety when not shooting but given their experience (none) and the way they payed attention, I couldn't have been more happy with the way it turned out. And their dad finally got to shoot his new Kimber Ultra CDP. Great trip and I'm looking forward to getting their mom out there too to experience what she hasn't yet, but her young daughter's have. It was nice to go to a place that I hunt on where we couldn't bother anyone else and they couldn't bother us. So here's a few pics......

The youngest...

The older sister...

And one of my favorite pictures is this one, with their oldest daughter with my AR-15 and my daughter shooting my .30-06 in the background. And by the way, I think I lost a .30-06. My daughter fell in love with it. Both of them were shooting milk jugs at over 100 yards away and hitting them! And by the way, his oldest daughter got to shoot an AR-15 before he did. I make sure I bring that up every time shooting comes up in conversation. Hehe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links