Thinking about a new 1911...I need some help

This is a discussion on Thinking about a new 1911...I need some help within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I just found out that my next check will have a little something extra . I am thinking about a 1911 model compact to ...

Thread: Thinking about a new 1911...I need some help

So I just found out that my next check will have a little something extra. I am thinking about a 1911 model compact to carry. There are ALOT of makers of these, but I want some opinions on the reliability, sustainability, carry problems ECT.

I've seen the posts about the Kimbers, RIA, Colts, ECT. All Great names but what about the Citidel, Taurus, Firestorm, Thompson (lower priced/quality) pistols, are they reliable? I know the rants about the Taurus reliability but is it any better in a time proven design?

Any others that I am missing, please feel free to fill me in...
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

JD
    Administrator
    Key word "Compact". Most of the "lesser" names you listed don't have a compact model. Off the top of my head of the 2nd batch of names you listed only Citadel currently offers a compact.

Which barrel length are you looking at? I'm a big believer in Springfield's 1911's, and know that they do have commander length and micro compacts in their GI line: http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=14 The GI's are no frills for sure, but will get the job done. And Springfield does a good job of standing behind their products.

What features do you feel you need to have on this pistol, and what price are you trying to stay under?

I'd stay away from Auto-Ordinance 1911s, in my experience they aren't as nice looking, or as reliable, as similarly priced ones tend to be.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I have a Colt Series 70 MK IV Gov't Model that I love. If I were looking for a compact 1911 design I would choose Colt, Kimber or if I had the right funds maybe a Wilson Combat. Wilson makes parts for the 1911 design so folks can costumize or repair them. They also sell completed guns. Their product line is extensive, but a bit expensive as well but worth it from what I hear. I have ordered several parts from Wilson through Brownell's and have yet to be disappointed with the parts. The key is to buy the best quality 1911 you can afford with the features you want. Good luck in your hunt.

I am looking at 4" barrel. Something like the Kimber ultra carry. Looks arn't as imprtant as reliability though. I carry a Kahr 45 right now, but have found that IWB, I can carry just about any lenth without Visability. I would consider a longer barrel if I have to compromise reliability though.

I want to stay in the $750.00 range and below.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    the ria on your list is actually one of the least expensive and gets rave reviews...

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman1212 View Post
    So I just found out that my next check will have a little something extra. I am thinking about a 1911 model compact to carry. There are ALOT of makers of these, but I want some opinions on the reliability, sustainability, carry problems ECT.

I've seen the posts about the Kimbers, RIA, Colts, ECT. All Great names but what about the Citidel, Taurus, Firestorm, Thompson (lower priced/quality) pistols, are they reliable? I know the rants about the Taurus reliability but is it any better in a time proven design?

Any others that I am missing, please feel free to fill me in...
    I am looking at 4" barrel. Something like the Kimber ultra carry. Looks arn't as imprtant as reliability though. I carry a Kahr 45 right now, but have found that IWB, I can carry just about any lenth without Visability. I would consider a longer barrel if I have to compromise reliability though.

If you have about half an hour to spend reading, take a look at this, book mark it and read it at your leisure.
    1911 Buyer's Reference Guide - Revised 2009-12-26. That will clear up some of your questions.

My Kimber Ultra was right at $800 and change. To be honest, the Rock Island Armory is a great bargain for the dollars spent IMO. I started to pick one up before the guy showed me the Kimber. Once I held the Kimber mostly due to weight I went with it over the RIA. Looking back on it, and after plenty or research on 1911's, I can't fine to many negative rants on the RIA, but you can find plenty about the Kimbers for what ever reason. Mine has been flawless.

I agree with bladebullet, the RIA should be on anyones list for a economical 1911 for all the right reasons. Good luck!

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

You can pick up an STI Spartan for 600 new. Assembled in Phillipines, with STI guts. There's nothing at that price point in a 1911 that comes close.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    ...after plenty or research on 1911's, I can't fine to many negative rants on the RIA, but you can find plenty about the Kimbers for what ever reason. Mine has been flawless.
    Not too surprising... Kimber's been in the 1911 game a long time compared to RIA, and they have been chosen as service sidearms with a number of LE agencies. RIA is a relative newcomer and I doubt they are an issue gun anywhere in North America. On top of that, the roughly 2:1 price diff gives folks a reason to excuse the low-cost gun when it hiccups, yet damn the high-cost gun if it hiccups the same way. But I do agree, there isn't a lot of bad ink (or electrons) posted about RIAs so far. I wouldn't shy away from one for recreational use.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    If you have about half an hour to spend reading, take a look at this, book mark it and read it at your leisure.
    1911 Buyer's Reference Guide - Revised 2009-12-26. That will clear up some of your questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    My Kimber Ultra was right at $800 and change. To be honest, the Rock Island Armory is a great bargain for the dollars spent IMO. I started to pick one up before the guy showed me the Kimber. Once I held the Kimber mostly due to weight I went with it over the RIA. Looking back on it, and after plenty or research on 1911's, I can't fine to many negative rants on the RIA, but you can find plenty about the Kimbers for what ever reason. Mine has been flawless.

I agree with bladebullet, the RIA should be on anyones list for a economical 1911 for all the right reasons. Good luck!

GBK
    Thanks for the link JD, Very informative! GBK, I will agree about the RIA.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Not too surprising... Kimber's been in the 1911 game a long time compared to RIA, and they have been chosen as service sidearms with a number of LE agencies. RIA is a relative newcomer and I doubt they are an issue gun anywhere in North America. On top of that, the roughly 2:1 price diff gives folks a reason to excuse the low-cost gun when it hiccups, yet damn the high-cost gun if it hiccups the same way. But I do agree, there isn't a lot of bad ink (or electrons) posted about RIAs so far. I wouldn't shy away from one for recreational use.
    I think there is truth to this. However, I have people I know that have Kimber series IIs that were steaming piles of unrepairable crap.

I think Kimbers are like the girl with the curls. When they're good, they're very, very good, but when they're bad, they're horrid.

My local gun shop had a nice compact Citadel in for a while, I really liked that 1911!
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    That was a good link JD. Thanks for sharing.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Links