Should I pull the trigger on this? - Page 2

Should I pull the trigger on this?

This is a discussion on Should I pull the trigger on this? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'd offer them $400, depending on condition. I bought a Model 66 -2 (meaning the second iteration of the weapon) from a used dealer a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I pull the trigger on this?

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I'd offer them $400, depending on condition. I bought a Model 66 -2 (meaning the second iteration of the weapon) from a used dealer a little over a year ago for $350.00, and I love it. Mine is a 4" barrell, and I ended up spending $15.00 for a new thumbpiece because the original had been replaced with a newer version and I wanted the original version on the gun -- stickler for details. I love the gun, it's easily worth more than I paid for it, though not sure it's worth $450.00.

EDIT: I should add that this is a great looking gun. The stainless steel and the rosewood grips just make a formidable looking weapon ..... it's easily my favorite shooter.
    Last edited by bigmacque; July 27th, 2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: add additional information

The 6 o'clock on the forcing cone is the bottom of the barrel, just where the round enters the barrel when it's fired. Cracks at that location are documented as an issue with .357's, especially if they've seen extensive firing with .38 loads.

All of that advice in that post above is good advice, by the way.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    bigmacque, I was under the impression that the cracks in the forcing cone were actually caused by the use of the light weight bullets in some of the 357 Magnum loads not the 38 Special loads. The 357 Magnum pressures were more than 50% higher than the 38 Special loads. In my 30+ years of shooting (armed security officer, police officer, and firearms instructor) I have never seen a K-frame 357 Magnum forcing cone cracked from the use of 38 Specials. I'm not saying it hasn't just that I haven't seen one.

Well Knight, you got me out looking for the article I read -- of course, online somewhere -- that noted the possibility of a little bounce from a .38 round as it entered the cone from the cylinder, that could cause the cracking. I'll keep looking for it and post a link here, give us both a chance to take a 'crack' at it.

Thanks for the input; I do know that the pressures from the .357 can also cause this, but I do recall reading that about a .38 load.

Actually, I found and then re-read that article, and you are correct Black Knight. Here's an excerpt from the article, and my bad on getting the information backwards:

probability. However, Smith and Wesson and many authorities recommended the Combat Magnum be considered a .38 Special to be fired occasionally with Magnum ammunition. The frame is light and the parts the same size as the .38 frame guns. There is no free lunch. Quite simply, the revolver was long on carrying and handling but while no more fragile than any other revolver, it was not meant to be fired with thousands of heavy loads. Shooters who understood this simple rule have enjoyed thousands of rounds with the Magnum revolver. A good rule of thumb is that a practice ratio of ten to one, with ten .38s fired for every Magnum, should be maintained. A number of accurate combinations can be put up in the Combat Magnum with excellent results. I have loaded various loads using heavy cast bullets of 180 to 200 grains that give excellent accuracy and a hard slap- but they are not quite Magnums.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    bigmacque, there are few absolutes in the gun world. One is don't say it hasn't happened or will never happen because someone will come up with that one exception to the rule. I was thinking that someone may have had some info that I didn't know about, which is quite possible. Even with 30+ years experience I am far from an expert. There are still things that this old dog can learn and happily wishes to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links