Firearms & Lady at Church

Firearms & Lady at Church

This is a discussion on Firearms & Lady at Church within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is kind of long, my appologies. At our VBS one evening, I was involved in a skit with the kids and one of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firearms & Lady at Church

Thumbs up Firearms & Lady at Church

This is kind of long, my appologies.

At our VBS one evening, I was involved in a skit with the kids and one of the ladies that goes to our church was assisting me. Before the kids came in to our room for the skit, we were conversing and somehow the topic came around to firearms and self defense.

Her and her husband are kind of on the Liberal side, but I get along with them very well, we just respect each others views and leave it at that. I thought she was very anti-firearm but this conversation has me wondering.

She was inquiring about handguns, had only fired one many years ago but in the wrong setting and conditions (small children wandering about the place.) I told her that both me and my wife go to a local range to shoot and that we both possess Concealed Pistol/Revolver License. She asked why did I need one, thinking that my job required it. I explained to her that anyone 21 or over with no felony convictions and could legally possess a firearm could go to classes and then apply for a permit. She was still confused about it and I explained that if you carry a firearm in concealment, you must have a permit to do so. I showed her my permit card and she was a bit facinated with it.

I invited her to go shooting with me and the wife the next time we get the chance to go. Told her she would not even need a handgun, she could shoot ours.

I don't know, but I may have planted the seed for interest in firearms in someone I thought would be against them.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Good job....so far. But your post doesn't address her question: Why do you carry? I think she was looking for your reason to carry. In my experience, people who ask are looking at your reasons to determine if you fill the stereotype propogated by the press/anti-gunners...thinking the two of you don't have anything in common.

The key to winning people over is to: 1-Don't be the stereotype; 2-Show you are just like them...law-abiding citizens who want to protect themselves, and their children (which can lead to discussion on the role of law enforcement, Supreme Court cases (i.e. no duty to protect)).
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

It just goes to show you can't judge people. I go to a very small, very rural chuch. Most everybody out here hunts, fishes, shoots, farms a little and so on. We had a couple move here from California a few years ago. Really nice folks, but "typical" California girl. She wouldn't even eat chicken unless the meat was off the bone. At least she would laugh at herself, which is a big saving grace.

One morning my wife was talking about fixing squirrel stew. The California girl asked "Where do you buy squirrels?" (And yes, she was serious.) My wife laughed and said "We shoot them." With a confused look Calif. girl replied, but who inspects it?" By now everyone was having a good laugh, including her. Then she said "WELL!! I'll just have to come down there and run through the woods yelling "Run little squirrels, RUN!!" To which I replied, "Don't do that. They'll only die tired." I thought her husband was going to split his sides. She laughed at me, and at herself.

But she still didn't want any squirrel stew. They moved back west to be closer to their kids and grandkids. I miss them. They were good folks. For California people.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Lets hope it was a good seed. We need more good seeds planted, germanated and cultivated. Plant the idea of responsible ownership and use (the seed), the trip to a good range (the germanation), the new shooter goes to classes and gets their own gun (cultivation). Sounds good so far now you should be ready to be a good gardener.

Very nice to hear. Keep them safe and teach them well. Well done!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

You might direct her to recent home invasions and or robberies and assaults in your area,and tell her that the people that were victims never woke up thinking today I will be the victim of a violent crime,I carry cause when I get out of bed I think today I might be the victim of a violent crime
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Some of her questions went unanswered due to :

A: the VBS kiddies coming in to the room for the skit, and

B: her rapid-fire-asking-me-everything-all at once. I couldn't keep up with her questions.

I hope I will get the chance to talk with her in a better setting so I can discuss the actual reasons why we choose to carry a concealed firearm and help her learn more about them.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I was picturing the SNL church lady as you related your story.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    It just goes to show you can't judge people. I go to a very small, very rural chuch. Most everybody out here hunts, fishes, shoots, farms a little and so on. We had a couple move here from California a few years ago. Really nice folks, but "typical" California girl. She wouldn't even eat chicken unless the meat was off the bone. At least she would laugh at herself, which is a big saving grace.

One morning my wife was talking about fixing squirrel stew. The California girl asked "Where do you buy squirrels?" (And yes, she was serious.) My wife laughed and said "We shoot them." With a confused look Calif. girl replied, but who inspects it?" By now everyone was having a good laugh, including her. Then she said "WELL!! I'll just have to come down there and run through the woods yelling "Run little squirrels, RUN!!" To which I replied, "Don't do that. They'll only die tired." I thought her husband was going to split his sides. She laughed at me, and at herself.

But she still didn't want any squirrel stew. They moved back west to be closer to their kids and grandkids. I miss them. They were good folks. For California people.
    My wife was born in California, has relatives there, and I've essentially participated in that same conversation. In fact I typically tell them I was a teenager before I knew there was other meat beside a squirrel. They are pretty fascinated about gun talk, etc. I never come close to protraying the stereo-typical image they have. I'm always helpful, informative and try to bring out thought-provoking comments for them.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    My wife was born in California, has relatives there, and I've essentially participated in that same conversation. In fact I typically tell them I was a teenager before I knew there was other meat beside a squirrel. They are pretty fascinated about gun talk, etc. I never come close to protraying the stereo-typical image they have. I'm always helpful, informative and try to bring out thought-provoking comments for them.
    ppkheat
    I just started a thread here in the General Firearms section about a family of 4 that on this last Sunday, I went to their house and did a 5 hour deal with them using the same approach as far as uses of firearms as a tool along with how everything works. It was great. My point is, a lot of people simply don't think of firearms and so it never sparks an interest until they run into someone like us, who are willing and able to offer a lot of great information, examples and safety all in one package. From people in Church to people out here in California, all they might need is that package to gain confidence enough to consider a firearm for sport, hobby or self protection.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Good job! It sounds like you are both reasonable people, not all that common among liberals.

I enjoyed your story also, CajunBass. I have met a few like your "CalGirl", but I don't have the patience to deal with them. I applaud you for that.

VIP Member
    I live in Arizona and I know what you mean. Except the question I usually get is; why do you carry only one gun?
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Well you can always tell The Church Lady that it's to protect you from...hmm, who could it be? Who. Could. It. Be...?

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I was beginning to wonder when someone was going to post a church lady picture.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I find that I am answering more and more firearm related questions from preachers and their wives lately. I think that is a good thing. Somehow I believe there is a silent movement afoot that are quietly arming themselves. What I am speaking of is people who 10 - 20 years ago would never considered owning a firearm. And much less in considering carrying one. In most every Q&A session there is an aire of privicy.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links