Colt 8rd 1911 Mags

Colt 8rd 1911 Mags

This is a discussion on Colt 8rd 1911 Mags within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all, I want to buy a RIA 1911. It comes with an 8round magazine, but I wanna add two more to that. Everyone I ...

Thread: Colt 8rd 1911 Mags

Colt 8rd 1911 Mags

Hello all,

I want to buy a RIA 1911. It comes with an 8round magazine, but I wanna add two more to that. Everyone I talk to tells me that Colt makes the best 1911 mags. I found some that say they hold 8 rounds. Now my question is, do they mean 7+1 in the chamber, or a full 8 rounds in the magazine? I ask this because when I bought my shotgun, they said it had a 6 round capacity, but they really meant 5+1.

Thanks.

I just bought a Citadel 1911, made in the same factory as the RIA, and the mags that came with it were pretty decent. I picked up a couple of Chip McCormick Power Mags when I bought it and they were worth every penny. All my mags are 8 rounds. You could carry 8+1 if you wanted to top off the mag after you chambered a round.

Chip Mccormick, Tripp or Wilson all make top notch 8 round 1911 magazines. I use Wilson 47 D's in my carry 1911, as long as you order the 8 round ones, it will be 8+1
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

If "everyone you talked to" says Colt makes the best 1911 mags, you need to widen your circle of friends. FYI, Colt does not make their own mags and sources them from Metalform and I believe either followers or complete mags from McCormick

Wilson 47D or their new ETM, and Cobra mags by Tripp are tops in my book - never, ever a problem. I've tried King's, Metalform and McCormick's Shooting Stars, plus (allegedly) GI mags and OEMs from Kimber (the worst) and Springfield, and I can't make the same claim about any of them.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I had a follower and spring fly out of a colt mag at the firing range,over time the metal lip holding the follower in spread just enough to let everything fly out,I use Wilson 8 round 47D's in my Combat Commander for a total of 25 rounds of Federal HST
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sorry if I wasn't clear guys. My question wasn't really who made the best, but how many rounds it holds.

The mags hold eight rounds for the full size frame pistols. Anytime someone says ( ? + 1 =? ). The +1 is for the chambered round.

Hope that helps.

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=566190

If your looking for some Chip 8rd mags here ya go... I've heard there the best... other than wilson, a few people have had issue with the wilson...
    OH and Chip does have 10 rds on sale to same price as there 8rd...
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Chip Mccormick, Tripp or Wilson all make top notch 8 round 1911 magazines. I use Wilson 47 D's in my carry 1911, as long as you order the 8 round ones, it will be 8+1
    I went for the Wilson 8rd magazines when I had my 1911A1. Very dependable and quality. Never had a reason to try other brands in the 8 rounders. Never had any problems with the Colt 7rd mags either. Wilson's is located in my home state, so that may be why I'd rather have them to start with.

The short answer to your original question... Full size 1911 can take 8 round magazines, but they do make 7 round mags as well. If it says 8, it means 8 in the magazine, not 7+1.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

I bought a Metroarms American Classic a years ago and it came with an 8 round ACT-Mag and it functions wonderfully. I picked up a spare Novak and a Shooting Star and the novak function well but the shooting star is ok but not as good in my opinion also it didn't seem to like my reloaded 45 hollow points while the others didn't have any trouble with them. : '

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    FYI, Colt does not make their own mags and sources them from Metalform and I believe either followers or complete mags from McCormick
    Colt's current magazine contractor is Checkmate, in the past Colt has used Metalform, OK Industries etc. Round followers are Checkmate, the flat McCormick's they use are from the same contractor as CMC uses, CMC doesn't make magazines either, they are contracted out also, same with Springfield, Kimber, S&W, most all 1911 makers. When McCormick first introduced his "Shooting Stars" they were made by Metalform, I still have 'em, good magazines IMO.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Sponsored Links