PayPal and gun related purchases

This is a discussion on PayPal and gun related purchases within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone know if PayPal freezes accounts because of gun related purchases? I have bidded on a mag and a Sig case for my 228 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PayPal and gun related purchases

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

PayPal and gun related purchases

Does anyone know if PayPal freezes accounts because of gun related purchases? I have bidded on a mag and a Sig case for my 228 on eBay. I don't want or need any hassles like having my bank account frozen because Paypal doesn't like my purchases. The reason that I ask this is because a particular seller on AuctionArms.com refuses to use paypal and says that they will freeze accounts for gunrelated purchases.

I just want to know if you guys have any experiences with PayPal to share. It strikes me as funny because if Paypal is so anti-gun then why are gun parts for sale on eBay, which owns PayPal?
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; June 22nd, 2006 at 11:58 AM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

2. Remove Ads

Supposedly they will i haven't had a problem though

Lead Moderator
    I bought a couple of holsters off Ebay a couple years ago and nothing happened.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I fail to see why anyone plays paypals game? You can type anything in the box telling them what the item is you are purchasing.

You can type in that it is a whiffleball bat if you want to. How are they going to prove otherwise?

I bought my current carry gun using pay pal and did it intentionally that way. When I sent the money, I typed in outdoor equipment.

The money went to a friend of mine anyhow, so there was no chance of it being stolen from me.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Administrator

Post Paypal

I buy gun related stuff on Ebay all the time & use Paypal.
    Never any problems.

Do Not Pay Any Attention To Any E-mails That You Recieve From Paypal. I don't even open them. They are 90% FAKE.

If you suspect that there might be trouble with your account then just go directly to your Paypal account either directly from an Ebay page or by Google Searching Paypal.com & then make sure there is an httpS:// up there in your go bar.
    Do not sign on to Paypal unless you are on a secure "sign on" page.
    NEVER use a link provided in any E-mail to access your Paypal account.
    Then you'll never have any problems.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I buy gun related stuff on Ebay all the time & use Paypal.
    Never any problems.

Do Not Pay Any Attention To Any E-mails That You Recieve From Paypal. I don't even open them. They are 90% FAKE.
    you can also forward them to spoof@paypal.com and they will get back to you very quickly and let you know that it's not a legit email, and they will investigate it. also with suspicious ebay emails, you can forward to spoof@ebay.com.
    RKBA

John

Most importantly, do not carry a balance in a PP account...

VIP Member
    One other important thing to know about PayPal is how much you have spent if you are using a credit or debit card. PayPal will freeze your account and not pay when you have used $2000 on a particular credit or debit card. They hope that in you desire to get something paid for you will provide them with your checking account number. They call it being fully registered. If they get the checking account all future transactions will be handled throught he checking account even if you give them a new credit card number.

There are several solutions to the problem. One is to give PayPal a new credit/debit card number before the current one reachs $2000 in use. This starts the $2000 limit over again. The other is to have a checking account just for your PayPal purchases. I know several people who have these. They maintain a $10 to $20 balance and when they are ready to make a PayPal payment transfer funds into that account. If you have online banking this is easy. I also know of one person who has an account like this and has overdraft protection. He keeps a minimal balance in it. His overdraft protection is backed up by the same credit/debit card that PayPal won't honor because it has been used to make over $2000 in PayPal purchases. So when a PayPal charge comes in it is paid and the overdraft is charged to his credit card. He did it this way just to spite PayPal. He is still using the same credit card they won't accept.

The info about the $2000 limit is buried somewhere in the fine print of your PayPal agreement. They don't tell you about it up front.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Ironically, the only thing is use my PayPal account for is "hobby stuff" -- i.e., buying and selling guns and related items. I have never had a whiff of a problem from them and I don't do anything to try and hide what I am doing.
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

Assistant Administrator
    You know what we call an unloaded gun?

Yep - a paperweight or doorstop! Sounds like a good ''description'' to me
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerjh
    you can also forward them to spoof@paypal.com and they will get back to you very quickly and let you know that it's not a legit email, and they will investigate it. also with suspicious ebay emails, you can forward to spoof@ebay.com.
    Thanks for the Spoof warnings. I have reported these "phishing" emails to PayPal quite a few times. In fact I have heard that scammers are now sending not only PayPal emails but Bank of America, Washington Mutual and other bank institutions in hopes of wiping out your account. NEVER EVER RESPOND TO THESE EMAILS-instead go to the actual website and log in that way.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    PayPal will freeze your account and not pay when you have used $2000 on a particular credit or debit card.
    Dr.

When you talk about freezing your account, we are talking about your PayPal account or can they also freeze your debit card use too? Surely they can't go over my banks head.....can they?????? I would hate to be on the road somewhere filling up the SUV and not be able to use my card since I carry little to no cash.

PayPal to me is a necessary evil. I hear all kinds of horror stories....I just hope that most are "urban legends".

I have never had a problem either and I have bought numerous gun parts from companies with names like "The Gun Store"
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Administrator
    I opened up a new account just for Paypal payments. It is apart from all my other bank related stuff. That is how I am fully registered.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    slightly off topic...ebay will now end your auction early...aka terminate your auction if you display a complete firearm in your auction photo/photos...even if you are only selling a holster and display a gun in it or beside it...they will end the auction early....is that insane?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links