Defensive Carry banner

44 Magnum: Your experience?

7K views 56 replies 57 participants last post by  Rightwing 
#1 ·
So I saw a Smith and Wesson 44 Magnum Stainless with 5" barrel. It had Hogue Grips and a trigger job that really made the trigger smooth. I have never fired a 44 Magnum or 44 Special. I would only use it for "Fun", not for defense. What is it like to shoot? Are they any much worse than shooting a Snubnose 357 Magnum? I have 2 Snubby 357s and the recoil is not pleasant but not bad.

#28 ·
I've currently got 4 .44's; a 10.5" SBH, a 8" Contender, a 6" Anaconda, and a 4" 629 Mountain Gun, and I just traded my 2.5" 329 Night Guard off. I find all of the ones I own very pleasant to shoot, even with stout loads.

The lightweight 329, though..not so much. It was a fistfull of dynamite. I decided that for carry, unless I loaded it with .44 spl, it would be far too slow for me to put controllable follow-up shots on target, and I'd rather have a 325 (.45 version).

#29 ·
There are many factors to consider when comparing a snubby .357 to a .44 Magnum. First of all, the grip. You would be able to get a much better grip on the larger .44. Second , the load. There are many different loads for the .44, ranging from mild target loads to hot hunting and defensive loads. The load will determine how much felt recoil there is. Bullet weight is a factor too. A heavy bullet requires a significant charge to move it at high velocity. The ignition of that powder charge translates into felt recoil.
However, the good news is that you could construct or buy reloads that are milder than factory. They would essentially be .44 Special +P's.
I don't see why the .44 Magnum can't be used for defense, especially at home. It has more stopping power than most "defensive" calibers and will even penetrate bullet resistant vests, if a BG is wearing one. I'd trust a .44 more than a .357.

#30 ·
I have an older Super Black Hawk, love the gun and the caliber... though I do shoot my .357s more. I can tell you this much , I normally reload 44 mags fairly light, with 700x and I have seen them about wrap my dad up from a shot. A .357 mag is a heck of a round but not even in close to the same league as the 44mag. If you reload, get one, if you do not reload get the gun, then learn to reload. A 44 magnum is really something special, you might not shoot it every day, but it is nice to know that you can.

#32 ·
In a Ruger SA it was OK. In a Ruger RedHawk with wood grips I couldn't wait til it was over (the 6). It's like getting hit by Babe Ruth 6 times with a lead bat on each hand. With all that, I find shooting my Python on .357 to have more power, not recoil which I find is not a problem. But the feel of the .357, it's speed likely, the pressure wave even behind the gun, just feels more damaging. I know it's not necessarily, but that's the feel to me. The 44 definitely has more recoil.

So, I think the 44 with nice shock-absorbing grips is fun for a limited number of rounds. Try out what you have on there now.

#33 ·
Variables make a big difference.

I have a S&W Mod 29 with wood grips, I wouldn't want my wife to shoot it. It's not that bad but I suggested she not shoot it. I also had a S&W 460, it had rubber grips, and very heavy, not so bad to shoot it, In fact I encouraged my wife shoot it! (picture attached) The heavy gun plus the rubber grips made a noticeable difference.

To me a .44 special in the Mod 29 is next to nothing. That .44 mag or .460 really booms and reverberates.

BTW when my son and I would go out shooting we'd usually end the day by challenging each other with the Mod 29 in a game we called "nerves of steel". Bullseye 100 feet away, standing postion, one-handed, double action only, one shot only. Winner was the closest to the X. Great fun and great disciplining exercise.

Attachments

#34 ·
I bought a S&W 5 inch 629 like the one the poster is looking at, about 12 years ago. Later I added a Ruger Vaquero in .44 magnum, and I shoot one or the other several times a year. I found a good source of CCI Blazer .44 magnum ammo for about $20 a box, so it costs about the same as .45 ACP to shoot. I don't have any practical application for the guns, but they are fun to shoot, making a lot of noise and very tight groups on a target. The S&W has the best trigger feel of any revolver I have ever shot.

#35 ·
My Dad has a S&W Model 29 .44mag 6inch barrel (Dirty Harry's gun) It very accurate and not horrible to shoot. The only thing is I refuse to shoot it indoor's.... the shock wave and BOOM is annoying. Only out door shooting for me.

#36 ·
They are great fun to shoot. I've had a few over the years and of course I wished I had kept. Ruger Vacquaro. 8" 629, 3" 629 (custom carry--couldn't hit a barn door at 100 yds. with it !), and now the odd Ruger which i have for sale in these forums' classified section. (sweet shooter)

#39 ·
As the former owner of a 7.5 in barrel Ruger Redhawk, I loved the 44 Mag!! I actually used to shoot that more then I would my Taurus 605 .357 mag snubby. When I owned my 44 you could get American Eagle loads for less the $20 a box. That handgun was my favorite plinker when I was stationed in Alaska, especially when I had the scope mounted on it. I really regret selling that gun and often wish that I still had it. Someday I will have another .44 Mag. Best of lick if you decide to buy it, the big boomers are a lot of fun.

#40 ·
Go for it. You'll have lots of fun with it. You'll get used to the way it pounds. It's like getting training wheels for the 500.

#41 ·
I have 3 mod 29 Smiths in 44 Mag....6.5", 6" & 8 3/8" barrels.....great for hunting, I've killed tons of deer and hogs with them. They are a handful with full loads but pleasant to shoot with 44 Specials. I wouldn't think of parting with them.... I think any handgunner should have at least ONE!!

#42 ·
Back in the 80s I bought the Desert Eagle 44 mag with the 14 in. barrel; with that kind of weight, recoil-no problem. then all wise me decided to buy an American Derringer 44 mag. Now I have the worlds largest and the worlds smallest 44 mag guns. Well, talk about a flame thrower; at the indoor range it looked like I let the sun in. How to describe the recoil..... it's like holding a 44 mag bullett in one hand and a hammer with pointy tip in the other.... I sewed a thick piece of holster leather in the palm of a leather glove, with this set up I could shoot about 6 rounds with the derringer, then go home.

#43 ·
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel
Gun Revolver Black Trigger Photography
Gun Revolver Shotgun Trigger Metal
Black White Still life photography Darkness Light

My 629 isn't bad at all to shoot, even with what I consider to be medium 240 grain loads from Speer. Comparing it to a snubby .357 is fair.

Reactions: ccman
#44 ·
I used to own a model 629 SST with an aim point site. Had to trade it off for septic drain field work years ago. Loved the gun. It not only did the kill job on the red squirrels but left nothing to clean up. Heck of a shooter if you can stand the kick. and it did kick. Have no good reason to replace it but if one fell back into my hands I'd never let it go. Just to darn fun to shoot.

#45 ·
Over the years I've owned four. A model 29 two 629's and a Desert Eagle. My first 629 is the only one I still have. Gotta say they were a lot more fun when I was a lot younger. Personally I now prefer to shoot the 45 ACP's and an occasional 357 mag much more, the 44 mag seems to hurt a lot more than I remember.

#46 ·
I Have a Grizzly 1911 style 44 Magnum,I handload for it and shoot 240 grain LSWC out of a 5" barrel,when I shoot hotter loads in it it will definitely get some muzzle flip,but it's a hoot to shoot and at around $7.00 100 rounds It's cheaper to shoot than 9mm

#47 ·
I qualified for my CCW with a Dirty Harry Special (S&W Model 29 8" barrel). The instructor was worried about mt breaking his backstop. I put 6 rounds into an area the size of a peach at 7 yds. It is a BIG boom, but as heavy as it is & with a longer barrel it is a pussycat.
Granted, my 13 oz 357 magnum is a little ball of hurt and I carry that daily....

#48 ·
I bought a 5.5" Super Redhawk .44 Mag. back in early 80's to take with on a camping trip to Yellowstone after a cousin had a grizzly bear encounter. I shot half a box of shells thru it to see how it shot. Even during the day it seemed to be fully surrounded by flames each time I pulled the trigger and one handed was manageable but two hands were better. It's been a safe queen ever since. I still have the other half of the box of bullets. I've thought about selling it many times, but it's stainless with rosewood grips and just too pretty to get rid of.

#49 ·
I sold a Model 29 15 years ago in a moment of madness. The reasoning behind that loonecy was that I'm no longer a hunter and the gun isn't much of a self defense tool. When sanity returned I regretted the decision. It wasn't unpleasant to shoot magnum loads as I recall. I practiced a lot using 44Spl rounds.

#50 ·
Please pass the padded shooting gloves!

Yah, I seem to have lost my shooting gloves and I have discovered that Uncle Mike's and PAST no longer produce their shooting gloves. So I'm going to order a pair of GripSwell pistol gloves.

It's taken me four trips to the range and about 200 rounds to finally get my .357 LCR under control. I finally found the sweet spot for the grip and trigger pull combo that works accurately and with some degree of speed. :danceban: I certainly wouldn't want to shoot .357s out of this little gun for recreation. The short grip wreaks havoc on my medial nerve. I'd rate high power loads quite snappy and stingy.

How about some .44 Mag out of a Super Blackhawk? I've put some 300 gr Buffalo Bore through this thing and WOW! You really know you have a handful.

More reasonable 180 to 200 gr loads are quite manageable and I'd rate the recoil as less snappy and more pushy than the power loads out of a tiny gun. Plus the full sized grip is much more comfortable.

#51 ·
kpw: LOVE that Snoopy! I had a Ford Focus and had a local guy paint Snoopy on top of his doghouse with a golf bag leaning over and a flag with 19 on it sticking in the ground. I got more thumbs up from other people in cars going by--- it was great! Good shooting to you!:wave:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.