Need recommendations on a gun safe

This is a discussion on Need recommendations on a gun safe within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking to discourage any would-be thieves from taking them so something that can be anchored is preferred. Safe salesman in three.....two.......one....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need recommendations on a gun safe

I am looking to discourage any would-be thieves from taking them so something that can be anchored is preferred.
    Safe salesman in three.....two.......one.

2. Remove Ads

One more low-cost alternative is to contact local moving and storage companies for safes which previous owners found too expensive to ship. A friend of mine got what appears to be a title-office safe about the size of a small dumpster for a nominal price plus the cost of delivery - maybe $400 tops.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I'm in Florida. I looked in the phone books under "safes" and visited every one of them. Some were jerks, but one was great. Big selection, delivery and set up, used safes in stock. (safes are by nature hard to move, so people sell them rather than move them. Some looked brand new.)
    Tampa Safe Exchange.
    Great people. I went there 4 times before I decided. They got to know me. They even did some free stuff to the safe when I bought it.

My point is: shop around. Google is your friend.

Safe salesmen will tell you you need the XYZ safe for $10,000. Maybe, if you keep diamonds and gold in your safe.
    For a few guns, you want to stop the smash and grab burglar. No safe will defeat a professional with tools. But what is a professional safe cracker doing in your house? He could care less about me.

You'll never regret the purchase. Get one twice as big as you need and it will be too small soon enough.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Electronic locks scare me, also. Gander Mountain had a decent selection the last time I was in there. I plan to get the fireproof type so I can do away with the small fireproof safe I have now. It won't hold very much.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Mill419 - This is such a tough question to answer because there are so many variables and what some may consider a secure safe may not be as secure to someone else. It's a known fact that the majority of gun safes can be broken into when given enough time. To me, it seems like most people are either looking to prevent a child from getting ahold of a gun or they are trying to deter the "smash and dash" burglar who is looking for a quick take. Many gun safes will provide this level of security, but if you need something that even an "expert" will have trouble with, you may need to look into a TL30 or TL15 gun safe. This added level of security does raise the price quite a bit, so it's not the type of safe for everyone. Just something to think about... you don't want to rely to heavily on an inexpensive safe because even the top-of-the-line safes can be broken into when the thief is given enough time. Insure the contents!!

OldVet / MJ40p - good points, Bolting the safe down is key! It's an easy way to increase the level of security for your safe.

As for electronic locks vs manual locks....I've heard pros and cons for both. It's a personal preference so I think you have to see what's most important to you and do your research. I do wish more full sized gun safes had a key backup for their electronic locks; as of right now I only know of a handful. I just wrote a little article / FAQ about this exact topic on my blog, GunSafesBlogger.com . Check it out for some things to consider when choosing a lock.

As others have said, I would encourage you to shop around and ask detailed questions, especially when it comes to shipping and "total cost". You may find a really low price using a shopping search engine only to find out that you'll need to add handling charges, shipping, tax, etc to get the "total price". Some sites don't even publish their shipping rates so you actually have to contact them by phone or email to obtain a quote.

A used safe is something to consider, just keep in mind that what's visible to the eye may not tell you everything you need to know about the safes inner workings. I know that during transit sometimes these safes will fall over and cause the locking mechanism to fail. A thorough inspection of the safe should eliminate most of those worries, but a defective or broken safe is something you have to think about when looking at used safes.

I agree with LanceORYGUN, travelling to go pickup a safe can be quite a task to undertake. You'd have to weigh your options and see if it's really worth the drive an effort to pick up a safe versus having one delivered to your home, or better yet; inside your home! I'm going to throw in this plug only because I find it relevant to the topic and a good source of information when researching a safe. Take a look at GunSafes.com . I'm not saying that it's the biggest or best site, but there's a wide selection and it's easy to navigate. Also, with shipping included, the price you see on the site is the price you pay at check-out. Nothing in addition (unless you live in ID, then there's sales tax).

I'm new to this forum, so I just wanted to mention again that if anyone has gun safe or home/office safe questions, I'm here to help. Feel free to message me with any questions or post them in this forum.

Thanks,

The Gun-Safe-Guru

Always buy larger than you think you might need.

I got one of these on sale for about $1500.00, good bang for the buck....probably go on sale again.

They offer a smaller on as well.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...1&merchID=4006
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Electronic locks scare me
    I have an electronic lock. I wanted one. I knew that in the dark, in a panic, I'd never be able to open a dial lock.
    I can open the E-lock in three seconds. That encourages me to do it more often. With the dial, I'd just leave it open too much or closed too much.
    I'm thinking of changing batteries just to be safe, but so far so good. (I've had it several years, no problem)

I note that threads that talk of failed e-locks are usually resolved by something else hanging up in the mechanism.
    And then there's the, "I'd never have an e-lock" Okay, but you're not exactly a testimonial. That's hearsay.

Guns and more - That's exactly my point. Obviously that's the style of lock for you and you have good reasons for why you chose that lock style. For some people, the ease and speed of the e-lock is more important than getting something that is supposedly more reliable. In my opinion, nothing is immune from being defective. Even a dial combination lock could give you problems so that shouldn't be the only reason you choose that style of lock. Just my $.02
    - The GunSafeGuru. Visit my Blog at GunSafesBlogger.com

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I have an electronic lock. I wanted one. I knew that in the dark, in a panic, I'd never be able to open a dial lock.
    I can open the E-lock in three seconds. That encourages me to do it more often. With the dial, I'd just leave it open too much or closed too much.
    I'm thinking of changing batteries just to be safe, but so far so good. (I've had it several years, no problem)

I note that threads that talk of failed e-locks are usually resolved by something else hanging up in the mechanism.
    And then there's the, "I'd never have an e-lock" Okay, but you're not exactly a testimonial. That's hearsay.
    If you like electronic locks and you have one, then the world is your oyster.
    I wanted one as well... I keep damn near a lifetime supply of batteries on hand, so even in a SHTF situation I'd be covered for a couple of years. Then reality set in. I had people from Liberty Safe and Sargent & Greenleaf calling me up and emailing fixes. Not a dang one of them worked. My guns were locked up for a month inside a safe I couldn't open.

I work in aerospace, a career test professional. I keep an open mind, and when I close my mind to new ideas and new equipment, I'm history and unemployed. Maybe if my high-end S&G digital lock was sourced of aerospace-level components and built by the guys in my company who build ring laser gyros it would have worked more than two weeks - but, in real life it didn't. I'm not shopping for any electronic fire extinguishers anytime soon, either.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

AzB
    I used to have a security business and we sold and installed a lot of safes. E-locks are great, and as someone else mentioned, failures are usually either batteries or some other mechanical part of the mechanism. They are pretty reliable. However, dial lock failures are even more rare.

The biggest advantage to an e-lock is for commercial use. It's far easier to change the combination when personnel changes. This is a big deal in restaurants and other businesses that have a rapid turnover of management.

An e-lock can be faster and a little easier to open in an emergency. One way to keep a dial lock easier to open in an emergency (but only do this when you're home) is to dial in the combination except for the last number. The safe is still locked, but all you have to do is dial in the last number. Also, keep a flashlight or other small battery powered emergency light nearby so you can see if the power goes out at night.

I have an e-lock on my safe that holds important papers, collector guns, etc. If it failed on me, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Nothing in there is required in an emergency.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    http://www.cannonsafe.com

I found the largest Cannon Series safe in the Patriot Series for ~1100.00 delivered to my home and placed exactly where I wanted it. I thought I got a great deal. I hope you find a safe that suits your needs.
    SCGunLover1

I got a Zanotti safe (www.zanottiarmor.com) ...and while I was talking to the sales guy over the phone, I mentioned the electronic lock (for an additional $250..?? IIRC). He told me he spends 90% of his customer service time resolving problems with their electronic locks, and recommended the standard spin dial combination lock. I went with the spin dial.

Oh...and I went with the next largest safe I thought I would need....only to have my grandfather and father-in-law pass their firearms to me (+9 guns)....I now need a new safe...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links