Need recommendations on a gun safe

This is a discussion on Need recommendations on a gun safe within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am on a limited budget, but I would like to get something that will hold all of my handguns and long guns. Here's the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendations on a gun safe

Question Need recommendations on a gun safe

I am on a limited budget, but I would like to get something that will hold all of my handguns and long guns.

Here's the inventory:
    • NEF Pardner 12 Ga

• HiPoint 9mm Carbine in an ATI stock

• Savage Model 64 .22

• Ruger Mark III 22/45

• HiPoint 9mm

• Makarov 9X18

• Walther PPS 9mm

I am looking to discourage any would-be thieves from taking them so something that can be anchored is preferred.

My budget is not huge, so the extravagant "boxspring as a gun safe" safe's are out. Think more along the lines of Wal-Mart or Gander Mtn.

I'll thank you in advance for your suggestions.
    Also, if you have pics of your setup, I'd like to see how you have secured yours.

Mill419
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides" - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Having worked avionics for 20 years, I have a profound distrust of electronics and will never have a safe with electronic lock w/o a key over-ride. The battery or lock is going to fail you at the worst possible time. In fact, just give me a keyed lock. Second choice, manual combo lock.

Keep the key on your key ring. When you're home, put the key in the safe. When you leave, take the keys with you. Plus, you'll always know where your keys are--in the safe!

Most any safe can be bolted to wall studs or floor anchors (better). Most come predrilled. Certainly a consideration.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Having worked avionics for 20 years, I have a profound distrust of electronics and will never have a safe with electronic lock w/o a key over-ride. The battery or lock is going to fail you at the worst possible time. In fact, just give me a keyed lock. Second choice, manual combo lock.

Keep the key on your key ring. When you're home, put the key in the safe. When you leave, take the keys with you. Plus, you'll always know where your keys are--in the safe!

Most any safe can be bolted to wall studs or floor anchors (better). Most come predrilled. Certainly a consideration.
    The one I linked to has a hidden keyed override access.

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I just got one of the small ones to put in my truck. @20.00, and it is a lot better tan having to put my 900.00 hand gun into the plastic glove box. Mounted under the rear seat out of sight on a piece of light plate steel and bolted to the seat frame bolts.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Whatever you buy get the next size up from what you think you will need if you have the room for it. You will probably have more guns later. You can get a Liberty 23 for 700.00 with a combination lock. Make sure you bolt it down. Try not to put on an outside wall because a theif could run a chain around it and pull it thru the wall like they do atms. Most gun safes are rated as residential security containers. The best thing to have would be a TL30 rated safe but you are talking some serious money for one.American security has one it sells for around 14,000. Sometimes you can find used ones but they are still several thousand dollars.

Something to look for is a safe with external hinges for the door. When it comes time to move the safe, you can take that heavy door off and handle it separately. This really lightens up the weight you have to handle for the rest of the safe.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Costco has a great affordable safe on sale right now. Had been $780, and is now reduced to only $580:

Here is a link to full details:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...s=9&lang=en-US

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Sage advice. My pricey Liberty safe came with a high-end digital Sargent + Greenleaf lock, which went belly-up two weeks after the safe was installed. My guns were safer than I wanted them to be for a month after that. By dumb luck the dang thing opened the day before the new, conventional combo lock was to be installed, so the locksmith didn't have to spend hours drilling through hardened steel. No electronic locks for me, please.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

mill419:

IMO, about the minimum device that can be considered a "safe" is something with high-quality, 1/4" steel all around, a tight-fitting door of twice that thickness. Better to have it a seriously good steel, exceptional workmanship, special features like relockers and other techniques to avoid "standard" placement of critical components. To avoid the inevitable, as well, I also distrust the electronic keypad locks. Highly attractive for the ease of use and relative speed of entry, but I hear of far too many failures and freeze-outs to believe it'll never happen to me.

If you're prepared to wait a few weeks or more, check craigslist.org for used safes. You can easily safe 50-75% on a model of safe that should work well for you, if you're patient and know what to look for. Might take a drive to another town/city within several hundred miles, but you can save many hundreds of dollars or more.

Here's one: AMSEC 6030 in Iron Mountain, MI, for $475.

Another option might be: recent bankrupt businesses, which often sell their stuff for cheap.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    mill419:

If you're prepared to wait a few weeks or more, check craigslist.org for used safes. You can easily safe 50-75% on a model of safe that should work well for you, if you're patient and know what to look for. Might take a drive to another town/city within several hundred miles, but you can save many hundreds of dollars or more.

Here's one: AMSEC 6030 in Iron Mountain, MI, for $475.

Another option might be: recent bankrupt businesses, which often sell their stuff for cheap.

Travel several hundred miles to buy a safe? And then how is he going to transport such a heavy safe? Rent a truck?

Iron Mountain, MI is over 1,200 miles from the nearest major city in Florida. One would be looking at a minimum two day drive EACH WAY!

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Travel several hundred miles to buy a safe? And then how is he going to transport such a heavy safe? Rent a truck?
    Right. But then, on the cheap, he's not speaking of 1500 lb safes, either. Anyone needing to deal with a sub-600 lb safe ought to be able to handle it with a rental hand truck from any U-Haul and a pickup truck. Easily done.

Iron Mountain, MI is over 1,200 miles from the nearest major city in Florida. One would be looking at a minimum two day drive EACH WAY!
    That link was an example of the deals obtainable by looking on craigslist and elsewhere, not as a perfect choice for someone in Florida. YMMV, as always, with any such hunt for used bargains. Very few will be from the house next door.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I recently just purchased a winchester safe made by Granite security products. It has a 1400 degree 1.5 hour fire rating. I pgot it for $1200.00

I noticed you are located in N. Florida. If you go to the Gulfport MS area swing by Dad's Pawn shop on highway 49. They have the best prices I have seen plus a very good selection. If I had known about them before I ordered my Patriot safe I would have just got on from them.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links