buying a gun in NY and bringing it back to TN: ? Answered

This is a discussion on buying a gun in NY and bringing it back to TN: ? Answered within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm going to be buying a pistol in NY privately (from a friend of mine), and driving it back home to TN with me. I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buying a gun in NY and bringing it back to TN: ? Answered

buying a gun in NY and bringing it back to TN: ? Answered

I'm going to be buying a pistol in NY privately (from a friend of mine), and driving it back home to TN with me. I'm unclear as to the legal process I have to go through, if any. Does anyone have a reference that I can use? Do I need anything specific other than a basic bill of sale? Any info appreciated! Thanks!!

Inserted by JD
    Before commenting further, read the following:

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    As far as I understand it.....we need a 'paper trail' ..... a NY Permit holder can make a private sale to another NY Permit holder...not to another person out of state or without a Permit.....sending gun out of state? FFL to FFL.......NY owner needs to bring gun into an FFL, have him sign it in to his books, both State and Federal, and then, the ex-owner would file an amendment to his permit(in his County) that shows that the firearm has been disposed of....and to who. Which in this case would be the NY FFL. So before your friend gets it, in theory, two others have had possession of it before him......
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    That seems to be the general concensus. I'm driving back to TN tomorrow without the pistol. My friend is bringing it to a NY FFL, and I gave him the address of my FFL in TN. He's going to have his FFL ship it to my FFL where I can pick it up. I had no idea it was that much of a PITA. At any rate, it'll take a little while longer, but at least its legit. I appreciate everyone's input!
    Last edited by JD; August 2nd, 2010 at 11:12 PM.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    What you are talking about doing is illegal. You may purchase the gun there, but it must be shipped in the appropriate manner to a FFL holder in your state and you do the paperwork there. Other state specific laws may apply.

Shipping can be done next day UPS or Fed-Ex, or if shipped from a FFL holder can go 3 day mail.

Ok, so I'll just have him ship the gun to an FFL holder in TN, where I can go to pick it up at a later date (doing the paperwork at the FFL in TN). Now i'll just have to figure out exactly how he needs to ship it to keep it legit. I've purchased very few firearms, and always just from the state in which I reside. Thanks for the input!

JD
    Administrator
    No problem. Your friend should just be able to take it to an FFL and have them ship it for him 3 day mail, it's a little cheaper than Fed-Ex / UPS overnight if the dealer isn't a price gouging jerk. I'm not sure what the laws are like in NY, but some places can be funny about a non-dealer doing the Fed-Ex/UPS thing with a handgun, and even if it is legal each Fed-Ex / UPS office can be jerks about it and give one the run around.

If i'm reading this right................although he can ship the gun himself to my TN FFL, its probably wiser to have him just bring the gun to a NY FFL to have it shipped?

JD
    Administrator
    Probably, even some FFL holders have problems accepting guns that are shipped from non dealers.

Of course they do Oh well. One last question and i'll leave you alone. Can I bring the pistol to a NY FFL to have it shipped? Or does it have to be brought to the NY FFL by the owner of it in NY?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Of course they do Oh well. One last question and i'll leave you alone. Can I bring the pistol to a NY FFL to have it shipped? Or does it have to be brought to the NY FFL by the owner of it in NY?
    That's a NY thing, I don't know. If NY has any kind of registration, I would have your friend take it in.

Papers will need to be fill out transferring pistol out of his name. Then his FFL agent will send it to your FFL agent and he will transfer to you. All for a modest fee
    "We are Texas Rangers sent by the Governor Himself and our jurisdiction is anywhere we happen to be." Agustus McCrae

Got A Problem? The Odds Aganist You? Call The Equalizer 212-555-4200

NRA Member
    S&W M&P .40, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 22

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Another way is that your friend could visit you in TN and bring the gun with him. Then the two of you can take it to a TN FFL and do the transfer and paperwork there. In essence as long as it gets to a TN FFL in a legal fashion the transfer is legal. Legal fashion would be he can ship it himself through UPS or FED/EX, have a NY FFL ship it, or bring it to TN should he visit you.

Enlighten me please....
    Suppose you bring the pistol back into your home state and do nothing, you have a bill of sale from the seller which should prove you purchased the weapon for your own use.
    Let's even suppose you use it for your daily carry.
    Worst case scenario, you use it to plug a perp. Are you going to jail or just have to explain how you got it and if so maybe get a slap on the hand cause you didn't do the "proper" transfer?
    I guess personally I find the regulations around transfer and sale of a firearm a bit burdensome at times. If you carry and have a permit in your home state, let's say you go on vacation, you meet your family in another state, your brother admires your weapon, you decide to present him with it. So according to what I'm reading here, you have to go to a licensed firearm dealer, pay a fee, have the weapon transferred to your brother so it's legal? Or, return to your home state with the pistol, take it to a licensed dealer, have him ship it to another licensed dealer in your brother's state so he can then go pick it up? I don't know, I just find that a bit of a PIA.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    we really need a ny resident response here...you cannot purchase a handgun in ny without a handgun permit....and your friend must have the handgun removed from his permit when he sells it to you...i dont know the specifics of what you are trying to do but you need to consult an ffl to make sure you get it right or somebody is going to end up in trouble....

Yea, it is defenitely a PITA. It wouldnt be so bad if all states didnt have their own laws, paperwork, and procedures. I think the bottom line, to be safe, is to just have him ship it from his FFL in NY, to my FFL in TN. Better safe than sorry.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    What you are talking about doing is illegal. You may purchase the gun there, but it must be shipped in the appropriate manner to a FFL holder in your state and you do the paperwork there. Other state specific laws may apply.

Shipping can be done next day UPS or Fed-Ex, or if shipped from a FFL holder can go 3 day mail.
    JD, You've lost me here. If he makes a private purchase (I assume that's legal in NY), why can't he legally transport the firearm out of state as long as it in a locked case in the trunk of a vehicle, like transporting any other firearm would be. In a private-person-to-private-person sell, why is a FFL involved.

Never mind, We're talking NY here, the land of complications.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by redfish443 View Post
    Enlighten me please....
    Suppose you bring the pistol back into your home state and do nothing, you have a bill of sale from the seller which should prove you purchased the weapon for your own use.
    Let's even suppose you use it for your daily carry.
    Worst case scenario, you use it to plug a perp. Are you going to jail or just have to explain how you got it and if so maybe get a slap on the hand cause you didn't do the "proper" transfer?
    I guess personally I find the regulations around transfer and sale of a firearm a bit burdensome at times. If you carry and have a permit in your home state, let's say you go on vacation, you meet your family in another state, your brother admires your weapon, you decide to present him with it. So according to what I'm reading here, you have to go to a licensed firearm dealer, pay a fee, have the weapon transferred to your brother so it's legal? Or, return to your home state with the pistol, take it to a licensed dealer, have him ship it to another licensed dealer in your brother's state so he can then go pick it up? I don't know, I just find that a bit of a PIA.
    The unlawful transfer of a handgun is a FELONY. Gifting of firearms, including handguns to family members is usually a different story but laws on that will vary from state to state. But to be on the safe side and not risk a felony conviction, I'd just drop the $30.00 and an hours time and have the gun shipped, it's really not that hard. I have my receiving FFLs info in my wallet ready to go. As far as "what would happen blah blah blah for using an illegally purchased/transferred gun" maybe nothing, maybe a felony conviction all in all it's just not worth it for something as easy as a legal transfer. I'd rather be mildly inconvenienced at a gun shop than majorly inconvenienced in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    we really need a ny resident response here...you cannot purchase a handgun in ny without a handgun permit....and your friend must have the handgun removed from his permit when he sells it to you...i dont know the specifics of what you are trying to do but you need to consult an ffl to make sure you get it right or somebody is going to end up in trouble....
    That may or may not the case, in IL you have to have a FOID to buy a gun right? Wrong, you need a FOID to take possession of that gun. I purchased a handgun in IL just last month and had it shipped home with no FOID as I was not doing the transfer of the gun in IL. In CT where I've bought a good number of guns, one must have purchase permit or permit to carry in order to take possession of a handgun in CT, however I've bought plenty there and had them shipped to a receiving FFL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links