GSG 1911 22 problems

GSG 1911 22 problems

This is a discussion on GSG 1911 22 problems within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought this gun about 3 weeks ago and have shot over 6oo rounds thru it with only 1 problem,the ambi safety broke. Problem#1 ambi ...

Thread: GSG 1911 22 problems

GSG 1911 22 problems

I bought this gun about 3 weeks ago and have shot over 6oo rounds thru it with only 1 problem,the ambi safety broke.
    Problem#1 ambi safety is cheap,had the right side piece,left hand shooters like myself use broke,broke the tangs off the left side,notified ATI and they sent a replacement,after dropping it in,did a function test and it functioned fine,I flicked the safety on with left side and it worked great,on the second try it broke the tangs off again.
    #2 this is worse,I was firing at the range and had fired 10 rounds,on my second mag as I fired the second round I saw something fly out and it wasn't a bullet,the barrel bushing that holds the recoil spring plug had bent outward causing the plug and recoil spring to leave the gun unexpectedly,WTH are they using to make these parts out of,sure it's only a 22 but seriously they needed to do some better R&D,ATI will be getting a call with pics in the morning
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sounds like they haven't quite worked out all the kinks in the design yet. Makes me glad I decided on a Ruger 22/45 in my recent purchase.

Isn't the gsg like 80% compatible with normal 1911 parts? Can you try using 1911 parts from another maker for the bushing and safety? Just something to look into.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Note to self: Don't buy a GSG 1911 22 until this is remedied.

Hope you get it taken care of. Sounds like a real bummer.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Not too surprising - always wait a while when a new model comes out. Let other shooters be the beta-testers.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Not too surprising - always wait a while when a new model comes out. Let other shooters be the beta-testers.
    Now ya tell me,where was ya when I was clicking the buy it now button on Gunbroker
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

I called ATI and they are sending replacement parts,Mine isn't the only one malfunctioning,some parts were made out of zinc pot metal,GSG is going to be replacing them with new parts not made out of pot metal and anybody that owns one needs to register it online so the can notify you when new parts arrive

GM
    Too bad that it should happen, I hope they fix the problem soon.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Too bad that it should happen, I hope they fix the problem soon.
    I had the gun about 5 weeks and put over 1000 rounds thru it,the gun seems to be well made,I think they tried to skimp by on putting parts on it that were cast thinking a 22 wouldn't be that hard on them and found out real quick that it was a mistake,it is being handled qand they are standing behind their product`

Administrator
    "#2 this is worse,I was firing at the range and had fired 10 rounds,on my second mag as I fired the second round I saw something fly out and it wasn't a bullet,the barrel bushing that holds the recoil spring plug had bent outward causing the plug and recoil spring to leave the gun unexpectedly,"

That is truly a BIZARRE happening with the minuscule energy generated by a .22 rim-fire.
    The recoil spring plug blew through the barrel bushing?

Maybe the factory recoil spring is too long.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "

Maybe the factory recoil spring is too long.
    OR.... maybe the factory barrel bushing is TOO thin and made of cheap pot metal.

I would simply be stunned if that happened to me. Nuttin' should be goin' down range cept lead.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    OR.... maybe the factory barrel bushing is TOO thin and made of cheap pot metal.

I would simply be stunned if that happened to me. Nuttin' should be goin' down range cept lead.
    The factory barrel bushing is made out of cheap pot metal,and the recoil from about 1000 rounds of 22 weakened it enough that when I looked at the front of the gun,the cutout that goes over the recoil spring plug was bent out at a 90 degree angle,when i touched it to remove the barrel bushing it broke off in my hand.
    When I called ATI and told them what happened,they weren't surprised,apparently I'm not the only one and anybody that bought one of these pistols will be getting upgraded parts as soon as they are available

Sponsored Links