2012 causing me to weigh my short list.

This is a discussion on 2012 causing me to weigh my short list. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been considering the possibility of the current regime in Washington D.C. having a second term in office. This is not meant as a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 causing me to weigh my short list.

2012 causing me to weigh my short list.

I have been considering the possibility of the current regime in Washington D.C. having a second term in office. This is not meant as a political thread, but one of making wise choices concerning near future purchases. 1.I am seriously considering putting two more AR's in the safe before then. 2. More 9 mm pistols of similar manual of arms(M&P or Glock). 3. One more M-1a. 4. More ammo, parts and magazines for them all. Feel free if you see any gaps or flaws in my logic.

2. Remove Ads

I think your logic is right on the mark. Do it now, while the doin's good. When you need 'em it's too late. Now's good price-wise and availablity-wise.

By the title I thought this was going to be an apocolypse thread.
    There is never anything wrong with stocking up. If you have the funds then go for it; I plan on adding two more handguns before the end of the year but I don't have the money for any more long guns. I will probably try to get at least one more AR before election time rolls around but we'll see what the misses and the wallet say lol.

Looks like you're on the right track. I just watched 2012 so I was kinda thinking apacolipse too...
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

With the Obama scare over and a bit of a market glut, striped AR lowers can be had for ~$60; I'm thinking about putting a half dozen in the safe. If they follow past laws you should be able to pick up pieces/parts for a while. Sure the old law said the lowers had to have been assembled before the effective date of the law, but let them try to prove when the assembly took place, especially if you buy your parts with cash at gun shows. Or you could put enough parts and an upper on it to look assembled, take a digital picture with time and date stamp showing the serial number, and move on to the next lower.

I can remember this kind of conversation about a year or two before the WH election. That was when I started pumping up my ammo stock and I saved a ton of bucks.
    I believe that things would/could get much worse if there is not a moving van at the WH on Jan 20, 2012. Plan ahead!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You may want to stock up on bullets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/sc...th/03lead.html

Groups Seek Ban on Lead in Sporting Ammunition.

Lead, for centuries the core ingredient of ammunition, is now coming under attack itself.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    I have been considering the possibility of the current regime in Washington D.C. having a second term in office. This is not meant as a political thread, but one of making wise choices concerning near future purchases. 1.I am seriously considering putting two more AR's in the safe before then. 2. More 9 mm pistols of similar manual of arms(M&P or Glock). 3. One more M-1a. 4. More ammo, parts and magazines for them all. Feel free if you see any gaps or flaws in my logic.
    The only gap I see in your logic is the irrational paranoia.. other than that sounds like a good plan! i'd love to have some more myself!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I used to be in that frame of mind until I suffered a life-threatening illness and felt mortality at last. The question I ask is this: How many guns can you shoot at one time? How much ammo can you really carry? Should you "Stock up" and make your home a virtual fortress?

The Answers:
    You can only shoot one gun at a time. Having 50 guns laying around is pretty useless if you can't carry them all and use them all. It is good to have a couple of extra guns stashed (especially if your home is a 2-story), but anything more than that is waste.....

If you Stock up on everything, the biggest problem you will have is people finding out about it. Then you will find yourself trapped in your own home, eventually burned out and/or dead. Desperate people do desperate things, and in those times, homes can become death traps. Remember the words of General Patton: "fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of mankind"........

My Solution:

We have Bug-out-bags (backpacks) for me and my wife and each of the kids in every closet. They have a change of clothes, medical items, water and a couple of days of MREs in each, as well as hand-held radios. The adults have 100 rounds of pistol ammo, 300 rounds of rifle ammo and 50 shotgun shells as well as 200 rounds of .22 long rifle in each. We each carry an AR with one pump shotgun, the boys each have 10-22s. Each of the adults carries a handgun. If the crap hits the fan, we can be out of the house and on our way out of town inside of 10 minutes. We head for an uncle's rural ranch about 2 hours from any city till everything blows over......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    The only gap I see in your logic is the irrational paranoia.. other than that sounds like a good plan! i'd love to have some more myself!
    Paranoia for sure, just so so sure its irrational. There has been instances throughout history that started the same way our circumstances have.

Anyway, I'd go more ammo than guns and stock up and parts to keep those guns running. I started by selecting a platform and sticking with it. That way, it was a lot easier to stock ammo and parts.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If you Stock up on everything, the biggest problem you will have is people finding out about it. Then you will find yourself trapped in your own home, eventually burned out and/or dead. Desperate people do desperate things, and in those times, homes can become death traps. Remember the words of General Patton: "fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of mankind"........
    Well what if you are in a time of crisis and you have trusted family and friends at your place, could you not arm them?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samwolf View Post
    You may want to stock up on bullets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/sc...th/03lead.html

Groups Seek Ban on Lead in Sporting Ammunition.

Lead, for centuries the core ingredient of ammunition, is now coming under attack itself.
    The organization behind this, The Center for Biological Diversity, is another left wing, lunatic fringe organization. On one hand it complains about lead bullets being a threat by shrinking animal populations and on the other complain about animal overpopulation. Check their website.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Wow. Didn't know I was irrational and paranoid. I thought I was only the latter. Joking. Keep the dialogue going.

Administrator
    I'd opt for a durable & reliable .22 Rim-Fire and a couple of 500 bricks of .22 ammo. The .22 is going to prove to be far more useful in a SHTF scenario that many will give it credit.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I can remember this kind of conversation about a year or two before the WH election. That was when I started pumping up my ammo stock and I saved a ton of bucks.
    I believe that things would/could get much worse if there is not a moving van at the WH on Jan 20, 2012. Plan ahead!
    I am afraid that you are totally right.

To the OP: I believe that you are thinking right.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links