Defensive Carry banner

Holy Toledo batman

4K views 44 replies 34 participants last post by  OldLincoln 
#1 ·
I just got done inventorying my gun safes. Its something I do every so often to make sure everything is where it is supposed to be and there is no problems that need to be addressed.

I have three safes at home, one is for collector guns, the second is for guns I use and shoot regularly and the other is for overflow and ammo. I have others "offsite" for some high dollar rare items. Sometimes, guns will get moved from their normal storage spots for whatever reason. I log this on a spreadsheet I have to keep track of whats what and where it is.

So anyway, the only safe that is opened on a regular basis is the small long gun safe that I keep my shooters in. My son loves to help me inspect them, so thats what we are doing this rainy afternoon. After we are through putting everything back in its place, he says "Dad, where that black machine gun that goes here?" ( He's little... everything that is not wood stocked is a machine gun) Pointing to the fourth slot.

Crap! My Rock River Elite is missing! I about blew a gasket. Check my inventory... yup, its supposed to be in there. What the heck... I'm meticulous about how my guns are stored. Brain storm... what did I do with it? Did I leave it at the range last time I was out there? No, somebody would have called. Its a private range, nobody would steal from me... would they? Crap... did somebody get into my safe? Why didn't they take the rest? The AR is on the lower end of values in here... Maybe they just wanted an AR. Nah.. it was still locked. You need a combo to lock and unlock this safe. Nobody got in here. Did I leave it on the bench in the workshop? Nah, I would have known it was there. I have been working on several other projects all summer. Maybe I left in the rack in my gun closet... yeah, thats where it has to be. Nope. The rack is empty except my Hawken I've been tinkering with.

Crap crap crapola. How could I be so careless?

What a minute. I was going to buy a new one last month, but never did. Wait... did I... Yup. I did. I moved it over to my other safe to make room for my new purchase that I never made. Whew.

That was about ten minutes of pure panic all because I didn't follow my own rules.:tired:

See less See more
#2 ·
:rofl: While I don't have the inventory issues that you do, I did just go over my sheet and re-access the cost to replace what I have and added the last couple new acquisitions to up my insurance policy. I did have a brief WTH moment when I couldn't find two of my Colt .380s, but they turned out to be in a case I thought to be empty and sitting on the self with the other gun cases. I think I need to stick to what belongs where, I just need another long gun safe for the house.

#7 ·
Must be rough to have a problem like that :smile:

#8 ·
Oh man. I know that feeling. I once put my LCP in the document drawer of our safe while on the phone with my wife (it doesn't go there - I have no idea why I did it, other than that I was distracted). When I went to retrieve it, the slot that it's supposed to be in, was empty. I thought I was gonna puke. I've never felt such panic/shame. 'Kinda funny that your son noticed first ;-)

#13 ·
Man, do I hate that feeling. It's like a sinking in the pit of your gut, the worst for sure!

For an obsessive compulsive it's a real nightmare, know it well. Glad it worked out & all is good.

#14 ·
Sounds like ya got too many guns there Six. If a Rock River M-4 is on the low end, I can help you get rid of some of your "low end" firearms, I know a good home for them in Ohio. Actually I think I need to put a halt to buying long guns until I get out and move into m own place. If I put another safe in the place they are at now, some of the powers that be wouldn't be too happy with me. At least your kid has a good eye and memory for that stuff.

#16 ·
I've about cracked up looking for a "missing" gun, only to dig in the safe deeper and find it.

BTW keep a copy of gun inventory sheet somewhere else, not at your house. Other than a nominal amount of bullets I won't keep them in the safe again. When they cook off from a fire they sort of negate the fireproofing that was in my safe. What a mess........... and I hate that I know this information too late.

#18 ·
Good advice, and I do all of the above. I have photo's (the printed kind) and all the information of all my guns stored both at my house and a friends. I do the same for him in return. As for the ammo thing, the safe is a two sided vault. I try to keep it strictly ammo, but needed some overflow space.

#21 ·
Holy hole in the donut Batman! Count me as one who wishes I had your problem.:icon_neutral:

I'll rent you some space in my safe - cheap. I have plenty of room...:redface:

#22 ·
It isnt about how many guns I have, its about keeping track of them. (But, working for one of the largest firearm retailers in the country and knowing a lot of people in the industry has been good to my collection) I made an error that could have cost me everything.

#23 ·
It's called "Sometimers", and it happens all the time as you age...you're just startin'...:rofl:

#26 ·
My wife mentioned that we need another gun safe the other day. She says mine is getting too full. (Not really mind you) So I asked her why we needed another safe. She said, "For the new guns we are going to get." What, huh, say wha, did you, guns, new, huh, what the. Where is my wife and what did you do with her? I think I have created a monster that I cannot afford to feed. :rolleyes:

Glad you found your missing toy.

#29 ·
Buying guns can become a disease. It is easy to end up with way more guns that you really need, if you have the necessary disposable income.

I'm going to have to make it a project to reduce my gun collection between now and the end of this year. I would say that at least a third of my collection really needs to go at this point.

I would hold off on selling them if I thought that the economy was going to come back anytime in the near future. Problem is, though, I doubt that is going to happen. Instead, things are probably going to get significantly worse. There is no light at the end of the tunnel currently. Only darkness ahead.

:icon_neutral:

#30 ·
I had an episode recently when moving and I was convinced I threw a Beretta 21 in the trash with some boxes I was using to move. I found it in the house where it belonged (after digging through the trash). I have a hidden wall safe, 3 long gun safes, 2 pistol lockers, and a fast-access safe next to the bed. SIXTOs right. Working in the business makes for a big gun collection after a while.

#31 ·
You need to keep little Sixto around when you open and close the safes. Seems he is on top of his game, even if it causes dad a bit of panic.

Glad you can laugh about it now. I have done the same thing, not with gus btw, but tools or things that just aren't where they are supposed to be. Most times it turns out I have loaned them out.

#32 ·
I wish I had that problem as well too. My friend in your neck of the woods was just talking about this very chore today with me. He has a decent sized gun collection. He has several custom pieces. If he were to misplace anything he would be out a lot in most cases. I definitely would keep that little man around... he seems to be daddys second eyes. My collection. due to budget is very functional...a shotgun, a bolt rifle, an AR, and three SD/HD guns. It will get better in a few years when all of my major debts are gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.