Looking for "Pirate"... SKS setups?

This is a discussion on Looking for "Pirate"... SKS setups? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was told there's a fellow here with many SKS setups that could advise me on building one... I was thinking of buying the cheap ...

Thread: Looking for "Pirate"... SKS setups?

Looking for "Pirate"... SKS setups?

I was told there's a fellow here with many SKS setups that could advise me on building one...

I was thinking of buying the cheap Monte Carlo Stock kit and utilize some sort of optics mount, and probably the little $10 plate to deflect spent casings away from the glass of choice...

Can I see what you've got going on? (Everyone please feel free to respond, I was just told to consult Pirate... but am interested in any and all options, even the bullpup conversion).

Before it's asked, I have one SKS in excellnt condition, and it will remain that way. The one in question I have recently acquired and needs a stock, no doubts about that. The original is cracked/broken in several key areas, and I do not consider it reliable at this point. That's why I'm wanting to try something new, such as mentioned above.

Thanks folks!

~Bobby

2. Remove Ads

hmm the monte carlo is nice but not that new as you mentioned you were trying for. Sure you don't want to go all tacticool? I bah humbugged by buds black evil sks till i shot it. Man its fun. A super heavy accurate albeit slow to reload ak! Good luck and remember the pics with what you end up with!
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Hi Bobby,
    You do have some options with the SKS. As far as optics the best way to mount them on an SKS is with a "scout" type mount that replaces the rear sight leaf. The cheap mounts that replace the receiver cover don't hold and will always move under recoil. For those who have replaced SKS stocks with the Tapco T-6 stocks the front hand guard rail that comes on the Tapco hand guard unit also does not stay put and is not a good mounting point for a scope or red dot. The scout type mounts work very well with red dots and holographic sights and with extended eye relief (EER) scopes and you can remove it a return the rifle to the orginal configeration quickly if you decide too.

ATI and Choate make Monte Carlo stocks, and the Tapco stock works well for many who want a “tactical” look and hand grip setup.

Here are some links for you
    Really good info and instrutiuons here
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2...emnt/index.asp

http://www.combatstocks.com/ATI_SKS_...arlo_Stock.cfm

http://161.58.206.244/store/merchant...y_Code=skscope

SKS with ATI Monte Carlo stock. The reciever cover scope mounts like shown here don't work, so don't waste your money.

The forward mounting rail on the Tapco front hand guard also does not work well and will move.

Norinco SKS with Tapco stock and scout type mount for red dot sight. Its a very high quality mount and rock soild. This is the way to go. It cost more but worth it.

The chinese rifles make good throw down or truck guns and if you have to leave it or it get stolen you are only out minimal cash. But these rifles are capible of good combat accuracy and hit relatively hard and you are well armed when carrying one.

Now the "classics" stay that way with no "bubba" work.....all orginal as it should be.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

That top pic is kinda what I was looking for... do you think one could modify the receiver/stock somehow and use a sort of G3-type mount that comes up and over from the side? My goal for the SKS was to have a somewhat typical cheesy "sniper" look and feel to it, as cheap as possible. I probably wont shoot it much, and it won't be my first pick for a go-to gun in any situation, I'm just playing around with it.

What's that old Russian gun worth thesedays? My cousin was trying to sell one when he got divorced, and said it was worth far more than my chinese junkies...

And which ones are actually painted instead of blued?

Thanks! I may look at my PTR-91 and see if I can figure a way to get it mounted to the SKS. I fear that the spent-casing trajectory may cause some issues with this theory though.

Nice guns btw... rigrat was right... lol

~Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert0989 View Post
    That top pic is kinda what I was looking for... do you think one could modify the receiver/stock somehow and use a sort of G3-type mount that comes up and over from the side? My goal for the SKS was to have a somewhat typical cheesy "sniper" look and feel to it, as cheap as possible. I probably wont shoot it much, and it won't be my first pick for a go-to gun in any situation, I'm just playing around with it.

What's that old Russian gun worth thesedays? My cousin was trying to sell one when he got divorced, and said it was worth far more than my chinese junkies...

And which ones are actually painted instead of blued?

Thanks! I may look at my PTR-91 and see if I can figure a way to get it mounted to the SKS. I fear that the spent-casing trajectory may cause some issues with this theory though.

Nice guns btw... rigrat was right... lol

~Bobby
    A Russian (Tula) SKS all in VG condition like the one I have thats all matching and original and not a factory refurb goes for around $450-500 range these days. I paid considerable less several years ago when I found this one.

You can mount a side mount on an SKS reciever similar to an AK side mount. I have seen it done before. Its move involved obviously and will require the drilling and tapping of the side of the receiver.

None of these rifles has been rfinished. I have Duracoated several handguns and rifles over the years myself but none of the SKS's.

The Chinese rifles while generally of less quality than the Russian, Albanian or Yugo SKS's is not a junk rifle. The ones like mine with a screwed in barrel as opposed to the pinned barrel can be quite accurate for a semi auto. I have a Ruger Mini 30 for several years and sold it because my SKS's were more accurate.

Here is another link with a wealth of SKS info
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=18342.0
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post

The chinese rifles make good throw down or truck guns and if you have to leave it or it get stolen you are only out minimal cash. But these rifles are capible of good combat accuracy and hit relatively hard and you are well armed when carrying one.

Now the "classics" stay that way with no "bubba" work.....all orginal as it should be.

That 1953 SKS looks sooo sweet, Congrats . I really like the "classic" look.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

How can I verify that an SKS is an original "old Russian"? I've heard mention of the barrel finish being a key feature, and some mention of a "star" symbol on the reciever somewhere?

Thanks for all the great info,

~Bobby

If I may suggest a website?....www.sksboards.com everything sks related, i am also a member there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert0989 View Post
    How can I verify that an SKS is an original "old Russian"? I've heard mention of the barrel finish being a key feature, and some mention of a "star" symbol on the reciever somewhere?

Thanks for all the great info,

~Bobby
    Look back at post 5, I gave you a link with a wealth of info. They also have a Russian section with even more info about the Russian SKS.

Links