Defensive Carry banner

Dropping your mag

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  gwhall57 
#1 ·
This is something I do at the range and I'm not sure why. When I expend a magazine and the slide locks open I immediately press the mag release, drop the mag and put the gun down with the mag next to it. I really don't recall being trained to do it, but I do.

I'm wondering how or why I picked this up and if it is something you do. If you do it, why do you do it?

#2 ·
If I understand you correctly, it's somewhat of a natural response and I do the same thing. What good is an empty magazine in a pistol? An empty magazine left in a pistol only stands in the way of a full magazine.

#3 ·
Why not slap a fresh mag in? Muscle memory will make your reloads faster...why put the gun down?

#4 · (Edited)
... I immediately press the mag release, drop the mag and put the gun down with the mag next to it. I really don't recall being trained to do it, but I do.
If I am understanding what your "issue" is with dropping the magazine ...

I was trained initially by a couple of defensive weapons instructors and a couple of people skilled at IPSC/IDPA. The point of the training with mag changes was to ensure the gun was ready to go at all times, or as near to that condition as possible. Thus, whenever a magazine was emptied, or when it came to a lull during which I could swap mags easily (ie, behind cover), I would drop the "empty" magazine and allow it to fall free, then swap in the fresh one. In a shooting situation, it's likely that I would then move away from the empty magazine. The assumption is that I would be able to retrieve it after the threat was over. To this day, this is the way I swap magazines when shooting briskly through a hypothetical situation. The only time I slowly swap magazines at a table is when I'm taking time to strike the "X" on targets.

At any time that shooting is done and the gun is put down, of course, the magazine is removed, the gun cleared, and then the gun and magazine placed down. If leaving the gun and moving away, at my range it's required to then place a chamber flag into the gun at that time, or to store the gun.

#5 ·
I also take out the magazine before setting my pistol down on the bench. It think it was a rule at the first range I ever shot at that weapons on the bench must be unloaded and pointed down range with the action open at all times. 'Unloaded' includes removing the empty magazine in this context, for safety reasons. I suppose some may think it silly, but we all know that the slide can lock back while there are still rounds in a mag.

FWIW, I have pulled out a target pistol at home, after a range trip, and pulled the slide back only to find a round in the chamber and another in the mag. Why? Because I failed to drop the magazine and lock the slide back when I set it on the bench before putting it in my bag. I had merely counted the rounds down as I was shooting and forgot that I had loaded an odd number to finish off a box (7 instead of 5).

#7 ·
If I am training, when a mag is expended, as I'm releasing/dropping the mag I am reaching for a full mag to "slap" in my weapon. When I am done shooting, I holster my weapon, I don't lay it down. IF however, I am at the range and decide to lay my weapon down on the bench, if I lay it down "hot" or if I lay it down "empty", when I reach to pick it up the next time, RULE #1 applies..A WEAPON IS ALWAYS LOADED. Thankfuly I don't have to shoot at a range where I have lay my mag to the side and put a "lil flag" in my chamber to show my weapon does not have ammo chambered. When I get home, if there are weapons in my range bag, then again, RULE #1 APPLIES...If I go to my safe and pull a weapon out of my safe, then RULE #1 APPLIES. I prefer to train to the limits I will need if required to use my weapon and NOT just go to the range to punch holes in paper. JMO

#8 ·
In the old Army days, the mantra was always, "Train the way you'll fight". If you never intend to be in a self-defense situation, then ejecting the mag and laying the pistol down is OK. However, if you ever think you might need to do it "for real", you might want to consciously start training the way you will fight - reload and re-acquire....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.