20 year old browning safe Gold Series---question and concern

This is a discussion on 20 year old browning safe Gold Series---question and concern within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey everyone...I'm looking for someone with experience with this type of safe. It is a Browning Gold Series safe, and it was bought 20 years ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 20 year old browning safe Gold Series---question and concern

Hey everyone...I'm looking for someone with experience with this type of safe.

It is a Browning Gold Series safe, and it was bought 20 years ago...the owner is the original owner and the Gold series safe at the time was the top of the line.

The safe is the smallest of the Gold Series safes and it's dimensions IS 60 INCHES TALL, 20 INCHES WIDE AND 12 INCHES DEEP.

Can anyone tell me the type of safe that I am looking at...I haven't seen it as of yet and will be headed almost to Chicago to pick it up. The owner states that it's a pretty secure safe and not one of the sentry safes or those along those lines.

Please respond with any info that you know of..anyone that deals with safes and knows what safe I'm talking about help me out.

Oh...I'm buying it for 350.00.

Paul
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

I recently inherited the very same Browning Gold Line safe from the folks.

Mine is about the same height, but is a bit wider and deeper than the one you're looking to buy. These safes were built using thicker steel and aren't touted as having any sort of fire rating like modern gun safes.

When we moved the safe from their house to mine...a whopping 3/10th's of a mile away we had to lay it on it's back during transport.

Once in the house, moved into place, and contents restored I began having difficulty with the combination, so much so that I called Browning to find out the problem.

It seems these older safes sometimes have their combinations shift forward or backward one number on the combination dial when they get jostled around. Don't be alarmed if this happens to you.

I would however urge you to have a new and different combination added to this safe by a competent safe shop in your area though.

Dirty

I have a Browning safe (one of my two). Even though it is 20 years old, it will last you a lifetime.
    Attached is a "Safe Buying Guide", not for buying, but scroll down to the bottom (of the front page) and search out the Browning Gold Series...Check today's prices. You're getting a steal.
    The above comment about having a safe shop look at the combo is a great idea and even if it costs a few bucks, you're WAY AHEAD of the game.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Browning are some of the best made...you are stealing it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

My only concern is that 20" wide seems awfully narrow. I think mine is 36" and it's almost too small.
    For $350, get it and down the road it will be your second safe. One for the handguns, and one for the long guns.

Jump on it...much more stout than any safe you could buy today for anything close to that price. I'd love to have one for my upstairs closet safe and I'd jump on it for that price in a heartbeat.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Ok...next question. I will be traveling to Naperville, IL to pick it up tomorrow. I have to get off on the Bollingbrook exit and need to know if this area is a part of the No gun zone of Chicago? I usually travel in Illinois with my weapon in a gun case, unloaded and locked up as this is the legal method according to the Illinois Highway Patrol. Or should I leave the weapon at home and carry a couple of more knives on me...just in case.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

I found a Browning catalog I have from 1985 and it sounds like the safe you're looking at is the "Trimline" model. It's 60x20x12 and weights 275 lbs with 9 gun capacity and 4 shelves. It's body is 12 gauge steel, has the S&G Group II lock and has four 5/8" bolts and as stated, it's not a fire rated safe. I don't think you're getting hurt on the price at all and it seems better constructed and heavier then newer safes in this price range. Enjoy it and more importantly, have fun moving it!
    If you have the organ donor box marked "Yes" on your concealed carry permit, you may want to consider more training.

Quote Originally Posted by Freakdaddy View Post
    I found a Browning catalog I have from 1985 and it sounds like the safe you're looking at is the "Trimline" model. It's 60x20x12 and weights 275 lbs with 9 gun capacity and 4 shelves. It's body is 12 gauge steel, has the S&G Group II lock and has four 5/8" bolts and as stated, it's not a fire rated safe. I don't think you're getting hurt on the price at all and it seems better constructed and heavier then newer safes in this price range. Enjoy it and more importantly, have fun moving it!
    Thanks...that's what I wanted to hear. I know that 12 gauge steel won't stop power tools or even axes, and that its not fire rated. However the walmart ones are 14 gauge steel and weighs about the same. I don't have 9 guns yet...wait...close but not quite. This will fit me quite well and 275 lbs is easy to move with the right equipment. I worked for United Van Lines for 5 years as a driver when I was in college. I have my own moving equipment as well. (no I won't help anyone move)

Going to get it in the morning...I'll post pictures when I get it home.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

$350 is a very fair price for the non fireproof safe.

As a certified safe cracker I can state that most of the locks on the older safes are better quality locks. Still, once loaded on the truck, open the door and throw the bolts. Then spin the dial to ensure the door will not lock. Secure the door against slamming during your travel and have a qualified safeman look the safe over and service the lock. You saved that much money in your purchase and will be doing yourself a favor in the long haul.

They can also change the combo for you or upgrade to an electrical lock if you desire that service too.
    Certified Glock Armorer

GM
    I wish I had one of them!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

sounds like this one (as the newer one, a G28F), pictured might be slightly larger
    http://www.browning-gun-safe.com/goseexwisa.html
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I don't think you'll find a modern day comparison in the Browning line that compares to that old Gold Series. With the dimensions you gave (12" is not very deep for a safe), I'd have to agree with "Freakdaddy" and say that it's probably not fire rated. The 2010 Gold Series is nearly the best safe that Browning sells (just below the Platinum Plus) and includes anti-pry corner bolts, 100 minutes of fire protection, 24 1.5" locking bolts, 10 gauge steel, and a Sargent & Greenleaf lock. Even though that Gold series may have changed from 20 years ago, at $350 it sounds like a great deal for the quality you get with Browning safes.
    - The GunSafeGuru. Visit my Blog at GunSafesBlogger.com

when you get it home, you have three options for moving it ... hurt yourself, hire someone or.... get you some golf balls and sturdy plywood, and use golf balls as casters underneath it to roll it into place. DONT USE GOLF BALLS IF YOU HAVE HARDWOOD FLOORS!!!! the gold balls roll right over carpet... I moved a massive 700lb safe with myself and a friend using golf balls.

As for the safe.... I think you are getting an outstanding deal on this safe. If I could find one I would be all over it for that price.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I bought the safe and it is outstanding. Already to small bit a great safe for the price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links