Something I most likely never would have spotted if I did not CC.

This is a discussion on Something I most likely never would have spotted if I did not CC. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last Friday I left for upstate NY and I had to disarm. It sucked big time but that is life. What I didn't know is ...

Thread: Something I most likely never would have spotted if I did not CC.

Smile Something I most likely never would have spotted if I did not CC.

Last Friday I left for upstate NY and I had to disarm. It sucked big time but that is life. What I didn't know is that my SA would be on a level that I did not know existed.

My daughter and I stopped at a local gas station to fill up and go inside for a bathroom break. As I'm walking towards the door a woman steps out of her vehicle towards my right and I see her holstered gun. She was carrying in an OWB holster and she quickly pulled down her blouse to conceal the gun but about one inch of the holster was still visible.

My first thought was cool, she is armed. Good for her but then it hit me that I doubt I would have ever noticed she was carrying if I did not carry myself. The time she stepped out and covered was only a second or two and nobody else seemed to notice.

Once I was done in the restroom I noticed her inline. I could still see the bottom one inch of her holster but nobody else seemed to notice.

When I walked out I took a harder look at her car. It then became very obvious she was a LEO but I was proud of myself for spotting the gun without thinking about it.

It is amazing how you open your eyes once you start to CC.

2. Remove Ads

I've noticed the same thing about SA when having to go unarmed. Once you've gotten serious about CC and done it for a while, you tend to see things around you differently. Congrats on your awareness...it will serve you well.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member
    Congrats on establishing a healthy habit.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    Like the old saying "It takes one to know one" great SA.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

cj
    Good job on increasing your SA. It's amazing what people will miss. Recently hiking, a hiker walked by with a rather large .45 strapped to his hip (not even concealed, completely open). My wife never even noticed it when I pointed it out.

AzB
    Most people never notice.

My daughter has been going to the same private school for 11 years. (She's a senior this year) The other day while waiting in the school parking lot for her to return from band camp, one of the security guys goes riding by in his golf cart. I'm like, "Hey, that's pretty cool, he's a southpaw" since I saw his Glock on his left hip.

My wife? Her response: "The security guards here are armed? I didn't know that!"
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    Last Friday I left for upstate NY and I had to disarm. It sucked big time but that is life. What I didn't know is that my SA would be on a level that I did not know existed.

My daughter and I stopped at a local gas station to fill up and go inside for a bathroom break. As I'm walking towards the door a woman steps out of her vehicle towards my right and I see her holstered gun. She was carrying in an OWB holster and she quickly pulled down her blouse to conceal the gun but about one inch of the holster was still visible.

My first thought was cool, she is armed. Good for her but then it hit me that I doubt I would have ever noticed she was carrying if I did not carry myself. The time she stepped out and covered was only a second or two and nobody else seemed to notice.

Once I was done in the restroom I noticed her inline. I could still see the bottom one inch of her holster but nobody else seemed to notice.

When I walked out I took a harder look at her car. It then became very obvious she was a LEO but I was proud of myself for spotting the gun without thinking about it.

It is amazing how you open your eyes once you start to CC.
    I read your post all the time thinking, probably a LEO. When I got to your last line and you said she was a LEO, I though to myself, I knew it!
    You were disarmed otherwise I'm sure she would have been watching you too.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

SA is always a great habit to develop. I, too, have noticed my SA increasing since I started carrying.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

GM
    I do not remember how it was before, but I am always looking at that.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Links