Ruger Mark vs Walther P22

This is a discussion on Ruger Mark vs Walther P22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know there is a thread running on 22's. It seems the choice is the P22. I'd like to compare it to the ruger mark. ...

Thread: Ruger Mark vs Walther P22

Ruger Mark vs Walther P22

I know there is a thread running on 22's. It seems the choice is the P22. I'd like to compare it to the ruger mark.

Iím looking at a 22 pistol for me and the kids, something for plinking and wild elephants, etc. Iíve got it narrowed to 2 pistols. Walther P22 or Ruger Mark or 22/45. I'm putting the Ruger Mark & 22/45 in the same bucket.
    My list of likes and concerns:
    Ruger Mark
    I like the look of the gun, Iíve put a lot of rounds thru an old Mark 1 of my FILís with no issues, seems to have decent accuracy, seems very reliable, and not finicky about type of ammo. It is heavy Ė 42 ozs for the Mark 3 or 33 ozs for the 22/45. Thatís more than my XD.

Walther P22. Everyone seems to like them. Iíve put a few rounds thru a couple of them Ė both ran fine. A friend who has one said he has to use specific ammo for it to run smoothly (no jams/FTEís). Quite a bit lighter than the ruger Ė 20 ozs. The lighter weight will probably be nicer for the kids.

Any thoughts from those who own either or both.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    I know there is a thread running on 22's. It seems the choice is the P22. I'd like to compare it to the ruger mark.

I’m looking at a 22 pistol for me and the kids, something for plinking and wild elephants, etc. I’ve got it narrowed to 2 pistols. Walther P22 or Ruger Mark or 22/45. I'm putting the Ruger Mark & 22/45 in the same bucket.
    My list of likes and concerns:
    Ruger Mark
    I like the look of the gun, I’ve put a lot of rounds thru an old Mark 1 of my FIL’s with no issues, seems to have decent accuracy, seems very reliable, and not finicky about type of ammo. It is heavy – 42 ozs for the Mark 3 or 33 ozs for the 22/45. That’s more than my XD.

Walther P22. Everyone seems to like them. I’ve put a few rounds thru a couple of them – both ran fine. A friend who has one said he has to use specific ammo for it to run smoothly (no jams/FTE’s). Quite a bit lighter than the ruger – 20 ozs. The lighter weight will probably be nicer for the kids.

Any thoughts from those who own either or both.
    Never played with the Walthers, but I have a pair or Mk IIs - a 5.5" bull barrel model, and a 22/45 with the same barrel. I can't get these guns to choke for love or money! They are heavy, for sure, but for a target or training piece, who cares? The weight only becomes a problem if you plan to carry the gun concealed.

For a fun gun, the 4" model with fixed sights is fully 7 ounces lighter than the 5.5" bull barrel models.

Economically, my quick research suggests that the Ruger will be a bit cheaper than the Walther, but the durability of the Ruger is just unbeatable. For the number of Ruger .22 pistols sold over the years, try pricing used ones. Good ones are hard to find at bargain prices.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Ruger, Walthers is NO competition JMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

My preference would be the Ruger for all of the reasons that you gave as the pros. As of right now, I don't own either one but have shot both of them. Both are fun of course. But it's hard for me to discount a design that has been tried and tested for so many years and hasn't had to change in the Ruger if I was going to buy one. I like the way the gun pulls up to sight picture with the angle of grip to barrel too. The only downfall that I know of, (that is if the extra weight doesn't bother you) is that you have to get fairly involved to break the gun down entirely to clean it properly, vs the Walther. A "pro" to the Walther is that the weight of the P22 allows younger shooters to enjoy it as well. My 7 y/o at the time shot the P22 very well and was able to make soda cans "dance" for a long time. Whereas I don't think he would have been able to muster the strength to hold the Ruger bull barrel for that long. My grandfather had the old Ruger Mark and it was a great pistol. I've tossed around the idea of getting either the Ruger or P22 and I will probably do what my uncle has done and just get both. I will probably just get the Ruger first.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    I have a Walther P22. It is a great looking little pistol. It is 10 rd. extra mags are reasonably priced. It has a light trigger, deep serrations on the slide that makes it easy to retract the slide. Ambidextrous manual safety. It is double action/single action. The slide stop stays open after the last round. The fit and finish is excellent. It is accurate and plenty reliable for a plinker.

You know about the Ruger and Beretta so I won't mention them. I would like to mention some other .22's that you might want to have a look at. First would be the Browning Buck-mark. I like it for it's accuracy and it's classic good looks. It is easy to operate and easy to shoot. Others you may not have thought of: S&W M22A Similar in appearance to the Buck-mark. Then there are the 1911's chambered for .22. AMC AC22B, ATI 1911-22, Hawa/Legacy-Puma 22 1911, The ISSC/Austria is also worth a look. Then there are conversions. The Sig Sauer P220-22 can be converted to .45 ACP. The Sig P226-22 can be converted to .40/.357 S&W.

.22 revolvers are fun too. Charter, Heritage, Taurus M94 is 9RD 4.5" barrel, all SS. It is accurate and easy to take care of. I have not had a problem with mine. All of what I mention is in the $250.00-350. price range except for the conversions. Kel-tec also makes some interesting 20 and 30 round .22s that look like machine pistols.

I would especially try the Buck-mark. Maybe take the kids shopping with you and let them handle what you are going to have them shoot.
    Last edited by SIGP250; August 13th, 2010 at 06:15 PM.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I have the 22/45 and really like it. When I hit the range it always one of the two pistols I'll bring. It was very nice right out of the box but I did a few mods and now it's perfect. If you look at the 22/45 you might find that the grip is a little too thin for an adult hand (I also did a mod to remedy this). However, it may be just right for a younger shooter. Ruger also now has a newer model with replaceable wood grips that seem better than the original poly grip. All in all, the Ruger is a nice .22 imo.

cmb
    Ruger all the way, I have shot a bunch and have 3... a II tapered barrel, a II stainless tapered hogue thumbrest grips (acutally its my wifes), and my 22/45... they are all good shooters, and I like the 22/45 because of the similar grip angle to the 1911, I am not a conversion kit person, just give me my 1911 and my Ruger... as a note the only ammo issue I ever remember having is with CCI shotshells, the steep feed angle cause the plaitc tip of the shell to jam and break spilling those little pellets every where...

kpw
    The Ruger is a better gun as far as build, reliability and accuracy. The P22 is the better gun to get a kid interested in shooting. I haven't met a kid yet that doesn't love shooting it and it fits those small hands better than most others. That is why I bought a P22. The Ruger is my .22 fun gun.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Links