Anyone know the standard issue handgun for Armored Car Drivers? - Page 2

Anyone know the standard issue handgun for Armored Car Drivers?

This is a discussion on Anyone know the standard issue handgun for Armored Car Drivers? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by KWAG Ain't no money in Mississippi.......................we leave the doors unlocked Just in case somebody breaks in and leaves some valuables...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Anyone know the standard issue handgun for Armored Car Drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by KWAG View Post
    Ain't no money in Mississippi.......................we leave the doors unlocked
    Just in case somebody breaks in and leaves some valuables
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

sgb
    In Florida Brinks issues drivers a Smith & Wesson Model 64 4" .38 special revolver, Messengers are issued a Smith & Wesson Model 5946TSW 9mm. No personal weapons allowed, all equipment is required company issue. Brinks issues Safariland leather and the primary holster issued is the 6280 SLS.

In the rest of the US Brinks issues the 4046TSW and in Canada the M&P 40.

Both Loomis and Dunbar will issue a company revolver if you don't have a firearm but prefer that you purchase and carry a personal weapon that's on a company approved list. Loomis will issue cheap Uncle mikes gear if you don't have any, don't know about Dunbar.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

A co-worker asked me my recommendation for a 45 semi-auto for his son to use, who is currently in training with an armored car service, don't know which service. The armored service has 2 requirements as explained to me. 1.) The guards must carry a 45 semi-auto of the employees choosing, and 2.)the employee must buy it themselves. Seems like minimal standardization to me, also seems like any standarization would vary by state & by company. I see many armored guards at the airport (all from the same service), coming & going to & from their vehicle, I can't recall 1 having a revolver, only semi-autos (I specifically look at each one to see if I can ID the holstered firearm, same with LEOs). I don't know what they do about shooting through the port holes from the inside out. Maybe there are company-furnished firearms permanently stationed inside the vehicles for that purpose, be they rifles and/or revolvers. Never thought of that aspect, I'll ask my co-worker to find out from his son. There's bound to be DC members of that profession that could provide some insight.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Quote Originally Posted by c94more View Post
    A friend of mine used to work for an armored truck company, She had to supply her own handgun.

I'd feel safer with my own handgun too.

Naw......just gives me a reason to clean 'chillin's".

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Just in case somebody breaks in and leaves some valuables
    Naw......just gives me a reason to clean 'chillin's".

Well I'm sure you know it's limited to .38 or 9mm in FL. I just got back from Wal Mart and I saw a guard making a delivery while I was leaving. It caught my attention that he had his hand on his S&W M&P in cheap nylon gear. He was ready to draw with one hand while he pushed a cart with......

Two boxes of pennies. Wow.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

When I worked for Brinks I was issued a S&W 38 spl, they were in the process of phasing out the revolvers and going to all new S&W M&P 40s for the messangers and the older stainless 40s for the drivers. That is in addition to a 12ga pump in the cab of the truck. That was here in utah.
    Libertas Vel Mors

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Well I'm sure you know it's limited to .38 or 9mm in FL. I just got back from Wal Mart and I saw a guard making a delivery while I was leaving. It caught my attention that he had his hand on his S&W M&P in cheap nylon gear. He was ready to draw with one hand while he pushed a cart with......

Two boxes of pennies. Wow.
    Nope, I didn't. I'm curious, does that restriction extend to LEOs?

In our area, one well known company uses .38 revolvers, and doesn't even buy their guys practice ammo anymore.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

EAJ
    Dad is a WWII combat vet. When the war ended he was discharged and went to work for an unnamed armored car company in New York City. He wasn’t supplied with a sidearm however they did provide a double barrel shotgun…and two shells. He decided to find another occupation shortly thereafter. He roars with laughter each time he tells the story and still claims he was better off than Barney Fife, who carried an empty revolver and one bullet in his pocket. :)

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    The Loomis Guy I've seen had a Ruger P-89 ; )
    H/D
    Amazing Gun!!!!!

Well if u have to buy ur weapon for ur job I guess u can take that off on ur tax returns...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I worked for an armored car co. for a while while still in NY. We were allowed any personal gun of any standard caliber. (no magnums) but could use a .45. If a guy or gal didnt own a handgun they would issue a .38 spec revolver. We were responsible for our own leather gear. we were issued company owned shotguns, and believe it or not we sometimes carred semi auto thompsons. I carried a company owned gun, and my personal gun as a back-up. Why the company owned gun? If we got held up and I had to surrender the gun.... Oh well... BTW we had a position called the custodian of guns who kept the guns in top shape.

As Superhouse saya in Florida security personell are limited to .38 special, or 9MM handguns. IN south Fla most of the large companies issue firearms. Bussy working for whakyhut is forced to carry a taurus revolver. (I am a S&W Snob)

I worked for Federal Armored Express, a Dunbar company back in the 90's. I carried my Smith 19, .357 2.5" barrell with .38 spc. 125 gr. SJHP +P personal ammo. If you did not own a hand gun, they would issue a .38 Special 4" revolver with round nose ammo. I really don't know what they carry today...
    Retired Private Detective
    S&W Model 19 2.5" .357

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links