Choosing first handgun... the username says it all.

This is a discussion on Choosing first handgun... the username says it all. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I've narrowed it down to a 9mm or a .45 and I know that I have to make that decision myself, but I'm looking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing first handgun... the username says it all.

So I've narrowed it down to a 9mm or a .45 and I know that I have to make that decision myself, but I'm looking for some direction within the two different calibers.

9mm
    I'm considering the Taurus PT92 that's the baretta clone. I've heard lots of great things about them, but one of my friends is trying to steer me away from it. I'd like the stainelss steel and don't want to pay quite as much for the baretta (but I'm a n00b, what do I know?). The CZ 75b has also caught my eye, but I'm not sure if I want to spend quite that much. I'm thinking close to a 5" barrel.

As far as a .45 goes, I'm thinking the Rock Island Armory 1911. Any thoughts on this gun?

So go ahead and lead this n00b in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Seems to me that you really want a 9mm Beretta. Buy a used FS92 for a few hundred bucks to get your collection started.

Welcome to the board!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I had Taurus PT100 and now have a 1911. I prefer the 1911 single stack for the double stack. Also like the 45 over the 40. However the price difference from 45 to 40 stands out and your comparing 9mm to 45 where there would be more of a difference. My preference is the 1911, but thats just me.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    If you go 9mm nothing wrong with getting a CZ or the Beretta. I would pay the extra to get the quality. The RIA 1911 is a fine starter 1911 and is actually built to true 1911 specs.

If money is that much of an issue I agree with the other poster who guided you to buy a used 92FS. They are nice guns.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Personally, I am a HUGE .45 fan... gotta ask though, as a self proclaimed n00b, how much experience do you have firing, and safely handling firearms? You also made no mention of your price point, or intended use (home defence, every day carry, etc)... these are things that can help us to help you.

Welcome to the forum from Florida's SunCoast, there is a wealth of knowlege here, hope we can help you find what you need

~B~
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I like any caliber that starts with a "4" and ends with a "5'...whatever fills that category is O.K. with me.
    I'd stay away from Taurus, and although the Baretta 92 is an excellent gun, it is a bit large for CCW.OMO
    Of your choices (not mine), I really look into the CZ's.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Moderate experience with rifles and shotguns, pretty new to the handgun world. I eventually want a .45 1911, large frame 9mm, and a smaller handgun for CC (although that is not my main concern at this time). I will mostly be using this for shooting at the range. Price range is $500-600.

OK, couple things to keep in mind, the more calibers in the house, the more calibers you need onhand. That said, and being the fan of .45 that I am, and being that I am a huge Ruger mark, My recommendation is the Ruger P345, .45acp, 8+1, medium size, will fill many roles, including Home defense, EDC, and practice at the range. It is affordable at right around $500 and as reliable as the day is long.

And, it is .45. I cannot say enough about the feeling behind the .45 round, it is like your own personal cannon. 9mm is suitable, .40 is bigger, snappier, .45... perfection!
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    Personally, I am a HUGE .45 fan... gotta ask though, as a self proclaimed n00b, how much experience do you have firing, and safely handling firearms? You also made no mention of your price point, or intended use (home defence, every day carry, etc)... these are things that can help us to help you.
    Welcome to the forum from Florida's SunCoast, there is a wealth of knowlege here, hope we can help you find what you need

~B~

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would agree with those who advise against a semi-auto from Taurus.

Are you intending to carry this firearm in the near future???, or is this something to get you into handguns??

Do you have ANY experience shooting firearms as a whole????
    Whats the extent of your firing handguns???

If you are not that familiar with handguns, you may want to start with a revolver. pretty straight forward, and simple mechanically, from an operational standpoint.

If you are well versed in firearms as a whole, Then go for a semi-auto, if for HD and target, then go large frame, and in the future, if you are able to afford a carry weapon then get one that is suitable to you for carry.
    Unless you are a big guy, I'd maybe stick with 9mm for now.

Beretta, S&W, Ruger,Glock will all serve you well.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

As a beginner, I'd recommend, as posted above, a handgun that'll fill multiple roles for starters (EDC, HD, etc.). Oneshot said it best, "Beretta, S&W, Ruger,Glock will all serve you well."

From my standpoint, shy away from the Taurus and go with a used Beretta. Also look at 'expanding' your choices by going to a range that'll rent you a couple of firearms in 9mm and .45. Buy some ammo and shoot several of 'em that catch your eye and are within your price range.

And Welcome Aboard the fourm!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I'm going to be the "red headed step child" here. Based on your criteria, buy a Sig P228 CPO. My next choice, gasp, Taurus Pt 92. They both go bang every single time you pull the trigger.

Bash Taurus all you want, but you'll just make yourself look silly bashing a Pt92.

just my two cents dont make the mistake i did when i bought my first hand gun (actually my first two), i bought a full size gun. go with a compact or maybe even a sub compact, the reason why i say this is because i bought them and then with in a year i got my CWP and came to relize that a full size pistol was way way to hard and uncomfortable for me to conceal. that being said it did give me an excuse to buy another gun haha. with thought about carrying i would never carry a taurus for protection or have it for HD i just dont trust them that much. Dont get me wrong i do have Taurus in my safe for going to the range but thats about as far as i would take them. i personally have had problems with them on more then one occasion and actually just had to send one back to the manufacturer to get repaired.

also if you are just starting out and you plan on going to the range alot and getting alot of practice in take into consideration of the price of ammo and what you can aford to pay, 9mm is cheaper then 45 acp.

For starting out. Go with a 9mm you will get more rounds on the doller. The CZ 75 would do you good plus they have the .22 replacement slide so you can practice for cheap.

also if you are just starting out and you plan on going to the range alot and getting alot of practice in take into consideration of the price of ammo and what you can aford to pay, 9mm is cheaper then 45 acp.
    It really isn't that big a difference... maybe $4-6 per 100 rounds, thats only $.04-06 per round, adds up over time, but is worth it IMHO
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Welcome to the forum! I'd say the RIA 1911 would be a good bet. I've handled a few at gun shows, back when I was 'looking' for something else in a 45ACP. I had also thought about the Taurus PT1911. For the price, I'd probably get the RIA now. Years ago, I built a custom out of a Norinco 1911A1. I made a mistake trading it off on something else. I still need another 1911A1 since that's what I cut my teeth on and survived with in the USMC. Good way for anyone to start out with the pistols IMO. The full size and not something chopped in half. You've got to enjoy the full weight of steel in the hand and on the hip to know where you want to go from there. Heck...I'm still there in spirit and in heart. I like my full size P220 SAO....on the hip and in the hand. I'll be back into a genuine 1911 one of these days.
    Taurus PT92 or Beretta 92? You'd like a 9mm and a 45ACP? That's good. I had a Beretta 92FS for about six months. I was working out of town on the road, and been visiting this one gun shop on several occasions. That 92FS had caught my eye from the first time I saw it. Don't know why really. It may have seemed more attractive than everything else they had under glass, but I wanted something. It came home with me one weekend when weekends consisted of one day off including travel time. I tried my absolute best to make this thing shoot well for me. I just couldn't get used to the action. I was truly disappointed over the next few months and outings at the range spewing out a hundred rounds here, and a couple hundred there. I subsequently traded the pistol in on another 9mm pistol. There's a pistol for everyone and a purpose behind it. The Beretta just didn't do it for me. Concealed carry or any defensive pistol should have some combat tactics behind it even before the end user thinks it's a must have. Realize I was still carrying a 1911A1 in 1983 to defend my life and others overseas. That was a tried, tested, and true combat pistol over a long period of time. I trusted my life with it. The Beretta 92 will never get any satisfaction out of me simply for it's design no matter what caliber.
    Look. How did the Italians design such a fine combat pistol? How many wars have the Italians been involved in where there troops actually dug into mud to survive? I mean get down and plastered with the fine dirt of this earth to make a go of things. The Italians are good at some things (to include salad dressings and stuffed mushrooms, and pasta). But to my thinking, their pistols should never be employed by those in the USA nor abroad fighting for their lives. When I first heard of our US troops being issued the Beretta 92 for a standard sidearm, I started praying. Our service members everywhere deserve the best available. They are the ones down in the trenches, in the mud, water, sand, etc..... No other country on this earth gets down to it and into it like the US soldier. Only the Russians have come close, but they are more for mechanics over the infantry. Remote destruction vs hand to hand combat. Our US soldiers are the last remaining fighting force on this earth that will go to battle with what they're given through a mile of red tape, through the mud, the jungles, the foreign lands, and without friends. When you think Beretta, think of well dressed concierges, embassy guards, and military police that keep the peace. Far from combat and the trenches of warfare. We all make our own decisions based on a lot of things. When we develop the combat mindset necessary for CC is when we start to refine things. After all. Combat is what you're getting into. Be ready.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links