Conversation with coworker about "gun free zones"

This is a discussion on Conversation with coworker about "gun free zones" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I was talking to one of the new girls in my shop and she seems pretty pro gun. We talked about guns and shooting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conversation with coworker about "gun free zones"

Conversation with coworker about "gun free zones"

So I was talking to one of the new girls in my shop and she seems pretty pro gun. We talked about guns and shooting and then the conversation moved to carrying. We talked about states with super restrictive laws like cali and ny, then I said something like "That's why I'm glad I got stationed in South Dakota. About the only places I can't carry is in bars, courthouses, and the federally mandated places like schools, post offices, etc; which is still dumb but its better than a lot of places."
    She just gave me this stunned look and said "I don't want guns in my school!". I was kind of surprised because of the earlier conversation, but I was prepared . I told her that I have no intentions of just walking through an elementary school with a gun on my hip even if I could. However if I need to go to the school for some reason because my child attends there then I shouldn't have to disarm before going. I then gave her a few of the many examples of shootings that occur at these "gun free zones" especially at schools.
    I never got argumentative or anything, I was just showing how I look at that stuff. I think I at least got her looking at some different points of view on the subject but I don't think she is persuaded quite yet. In a perfect world gun free zones would work but in this world they just don't and your right to self defense shouldn't end at the door.
    Just wanted to share that with you and see if you have any thoughts, criticisms, etc... the usual.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I carry my firearm onto school grounds every day when I pick up and drop off my son. That Federal Law dog don't hunt. I just don't get out of my vehicle with it on.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    I think I at least got her looking at some different points of view on the subject but I don't think she is persuaded quite yet. In a perfect world gun free zones would work but in this world they just don't and your right to self defense shouldn't end at the door.
    She is just an example of the many naive people who still think that laws actually work to prevent crimes.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

"Gun Free Zones" = "Target Rich Environments"

VIP Member
    Mexico is, for all intents and purposes, a "gun free zone" for private citizens. How's that working out?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Mexico is, for all intents and purposes, a "gun free zone" for private citizens. How's that working out?
    LOL, good point
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Point out that a vast majority of public mass shootings occur in designated "gun free zones." This is because the perpetrators of such attrocities know they will not encounter any armed reisistance before they can commit their crime. They target these areas for that reason. Unfortunately, a criminal intent on killing people could care less about breaking the "gun free zone" laws.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The only "gun free zones" should be coffins.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    The only "gun free zones" should be coffins.
    Nuts to that man! I intend to have a 1911 with me in my coffin!

Quote Originally Posted by mdmorgan View Post
    Nuts to that man! I intend to have a 1911 with me in my coffin!
    +1!! No telling what's on the other side, everything we've heard about it up to now is rumor and conjecture. The truth may call for armed intervention!

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    About the only places I can't carry is in bars, courthouses, and the federally mandated places like schools, post offices, etc; which is still dumb but its better than a lot of places."
    UH, the Fedl law states state that if you are licensed by the State and the State allows it, you can carry in schools. You can here, they have to POST the doors or it's legal to carry in the schools, and it's definitely legal to carry on any school grounds. We can carry in bars and court houses if they aren't posted as well. The schools where I live are not legally posted, which means I could carry in them.

But , you are right..... "gun free zones" don't do anything for anyone. What makes her think anyone determined to shoot someone, rob some place, or generally doesn't care about any of the laws anyway, is going to care about some 'sign.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

"All the public shootings in which more than three people have been killed have occurred in places where civilians may not legally bring guns. "

John R Lott, Jr

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...john-r-lott-jr

Well, that's telling isn't it?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    UH, the Fedl law states state that if you are licensed by the State and the State allows it, you can carry in schools. You can here, they have to POST the doors or it's legal to carry in the schools, and it's definitely legal to carry on any school grounds. We can carry in bars and court houses if they aren't posted as well. The schools where I live are not legally posted, which means I could carry in them.

But , you are right..... "gun free zones" don't do anything for anyone. What makes her think anyone determined to shoot someone, rob some place, or generally doesn't care about any of the laws anyway, is going to care about some 'sign.
    I honestly didn't know that, I guess I need to do some more checking on the laws (there are too many of them!). I think that in Utah you can carry in schools with a permit so I guess I should've known that the federal law wasn't a complete ban. I will have to double check on the laws here but I still have about 5 years before I have any need to carry anywhere near a school. Thanks for the info.
    The general idea I was trying to get across to her was that gun free zones do absolutely nothing; ok thats a lie they do something, they make it easier for BGs. I haven't seen her since that conversation but I have the same shift as her again next week so maybe we will have the chance to talk more about guns and carrying.
    Thanks for everyone else's replies too. Good points for the next time the converstaion comes up.

Distinguished Member
    Just a comment about NY... the restrictiveness is getting the permit (in some counties) in the first place. There aren't many restrictions where you can carry once you have the permit however.

GM
    Too bad, but she is other one of those persons that do not see the reality.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links