AK-47 Accuracy

AK-47 Accuracy

This is a discussion on AK-47 Accuracy within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Seems I've heard conflicting stories as to how accurate they are. I'm thinking about an AK for hogs due to cost effectiveness untill I can ...

Thread: AK-47 Accuracy

AK-47 Accuracy

Seems I've heard conflicting stories as to how accurate they are.
    I'm thinking about an AK for hogs due to cost effectiveness untill I can get a good semi-auto .308 or something similar and I want to make sure it will be on the mark. Cause lets face it, the last thing you want to do is make a hog mad and charge you!
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I have three AK's. The Chinese NHM91 is the most accurate of the three. If the bore is in good shape ringing an 8 inch steel plate out to 200 yards isn't hard. The AK's got a terrible rep for accuracy because the first ones brought in had worn out barrels. I like the AK better then the 30-30. I know that is blasphemy. You will enjoy shooting the AK and for the price of ammo you will be able to shoot it alot!!!
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Since you brought it up....can you explain the differences between the Russians, Yugos, Chinese and any other variations that may exist please?
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

My brother shot a hog with one at about 60 yrds. Dropped dead in his tracks.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Good sight. Thanks Guantes. Explains better then I can.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Quote Originally Posted by MedicMan218 View Post
    Seems I've heard conflicting stories as to how accurate they are.
    I'm thinking about an AK for hogs due to cost effectiveness untill I can get a good semi-auto .308 or something similar and I want to make sure it will be on the mark. Cause lets face it, the last thing you want to do is make a hog mad and charge you!
    Hog hunting with the AK47? You live within your means....expect nothing more out of the cartridge than what's portrayed over a wide variety of rifles built to specs. Accuracy? To what extent? I think most quality AK47s available these days should be reliable out to 100yds open sights on game. Thing is, I think hogs should be taken at closer range like 60yds and under. The AK47 isn't a bench rest rifle, and I don't believe in anything but open sights on the AK personally. The 7.62x39 is an excellent choice for hunting hogs in my opinion. Just don't let it get away from you nor expect too much no matter what you have in the way of the rifle itself. IMO, some of the older SKS models could hold their own over what's currently available for the AKs in the same price range. It's a shoulder weapon either way, and I've known lots of Madison county boys that will hunt hogs with a pistol. I hear they are good eatin', and I'm going to get my own one of these days.

Put a peep sight on it - extends the sight radius about 6" and it's a more accurate sight than the stock one.

Handload your ammo for hunting.

I think the sights and low quality ammo are two big sources of complaints about accuracy on the AK's. I saw someone who did the 2 above steps shoot .75" groups at 75 yds.

I have a YUGO underfolder in 7.62X39.

I have tied Winchester, Remington, Wolf and Silver Bear ammo. I obtained my best accuracy with Silver Bear 125 Gr Soft point.

Shooting off a bench I can get groups in the 2- 2 1/2 inch range at 100 yards. In comparison My Remington 700 tactical in .308 will produce groups in the 1/2 inch range at 100 yards and so will my Colt Hbar AR-15.

However if things went downhill, like a natural diaster and i could not obtain cleaning supplies, my go to gun would be the AK-47 and my Glock pistol. they both would work with little or no maintance.

I've owned a bunch of different AK-47s, but now only have a Century GP-1975 with the NoDak Spud reciever and Green Mountain barrel. It shoots about as accurately with Wolf ammo as any iron sighted rifle I own, certainly no more than 1" at 100 yards larger groups.

This rifle has a T-6 stock so that it fits me properly. Right out of the box, I can not shoot this or any AK with any real accuracy. The stock fit makes it impossible. I also mounteda a Mojo aperature sight because my old eyes do not work well with the issue rear sight.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

My AMD-65 (Hungarian AK variant) is a great hog gun for me. I use normal Brown Bear 123gr HP ammo, and they just drop.

In terms of accuracy, I find that it's about 2-2.5" at 100yds with just the battle sights off the bench (even on the very short sight radius of the AMD (12" barrel with a 4" muzzle brake just to make at BATFE friendly). In the areas of Texas where I use it to "shop for pork", I'm usually not taking shots over 50 yards anyway. 7.62 x 39 is very similar to a 30-30, but I know I lose a little something with the shorter barrel of the AMD. I've got a 1961 Winchester 94 I've used for a lot of hogs, but the AMD is just plain cool when my buddies and I are all getting our rifles out to get rid of these pesky critters at the request of landowners and farmers we know.

Cheers!

In a nutshell, it's MOH (Minute of Hog).
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Nothing wrong with AK accuracy as long as you stay within 100 yards. Better builds will perform at greater ranges. 154 gr bullets should be used for hunting IMO. They're found easily enough on the Internet ammo sellers. I say hunt hogs with confidence!

I have a Romanian WASR 10 (AK clone) and it is plenty accurate enough for me out to 50 yards or so. Beyond that, my AR is much more accurate but, the AK should be fine for what you are wanting it for.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sponsored Links