fiber optic sights????

This is a discussion on fiber optic sights???? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i wanted to get some fiber optic sights for my smith & wesson m&p 40 full size which i carry and target shoot with. i ...

Thread: fiber optic sights????

fiber optic sights????

i wanted to get some fiber optic sights for my smith & wesson m&p 40 full size which i carry and target shoot with. i was wandering if anyone has any sugestions as to how to put them on i was thinking all green..... or red rear sites with green front but cant decide, is one way better than the other? also how do i get them on..i was thinking of taking it to a local gun store, and hope they center the sites good..last of all where can i find a nice set with a good price?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    You want them different colors, it is much easier to pick up the sight picture.

i dont know thats why i was asking, how would you set up your sites? or would not even use fiber optic sites, i have them on a buck mark 22 that has green fiber front sight and black steel grove rear sight and it has a nice sight picture, so i thought it might be nice with front and rear sights on my m&p 40.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Do you want fiber optic or night sights? Most "fiber optics" are exposed (open in the center to allow light to enter) and subject to damage for CC use.

Most gunstores (with the capability) will install the sights in the same alignment as the old ones. Of course, you won't know if they're off until you fire the gun.

Green front is the most typical. The rear is more personal choice. I'd have red rear myself. I've heard (haven't compared) that orange and yellow are the least bright. Start checking the internet for who has what at what price.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The fiber optics are very easy to pick up with even marginal lighting. I've used the Tru-Glo sights with the tritium vials so you can see them in total darkness or very low light. The green front and red back is what I currently favor. All the same color is more difficult to line up when you are stressed, particularly in the dark. The yellow ones are just too dim for me, even in well lit areas.

I'm thinking of changing the rear to a "dot the i" set up if I can find a tritium/fiber optic rear sight for my Sig.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Do you want fiber optic or night sights? Most "fiber optics" are exposed (open in the center to allow light to enter) and subject to damage for CC use.
    I got Fiber optic( Truglo) sight on my two carry guns , never had any problems . I can recall 2 times when my gun fail in the floor and got hit on the back sights .

I've got Tru Glo TFOs on all my Glocks and have installed plenty for customers. I personally prefer all the same color (green) on mine. I have heard people say you can confuse which is which but I don't have any problem and I think you'd have to really mess up your grip to be off that much. I could also see where a yellow or red front could get washed out by muzzle flash at night. If I had red or yellow I'd keep them on the rear set.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I have TRUGLO TFOs (Tritium fiber optic)...on my P229....and I don't baby my guns. Haven't had a problem with them...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Links