How much of a difference in different hearing protection?

This is a discussion on How much of a difference in different hearing protection? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been using the Howard Leight L3 Nrr30 and they work very well http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...2343625&sr=8-8 I've been looking for something a little smaller and lighter but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much of a difference in different hearing protection?

I've been using the Howard Leight L3 Nrr30 and they work very well
    http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...2343625&sr=8-8

I've been looking for something a little smaller and lighter but the L3's have the highest Nrr rating. I've found these which are 3x the price but only rated at a Nrr23 as most of the other besides the L3 seem to be
    http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...2342902&sr=8-1

The thing is that I don't know how much of a difference there is between 23 and 30. Can someone enlighten me? Are the Nrr23 perfectly fine or should I really stick with the 30?

VIP Member
    The 23 Db NRR are fine. I doubt you would notice the difference when wearing them. Now if you were in a constant high noise area, I'd go with the higher rated ones, but for shooting purposes I'd go with he 23 db ones.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

While others may not notice a difference, I find a huge difference exists between 23 and 30 NRR hearing protectors. I wear plugs as well when I wear the lower profile 23 NRR unit.

You should not risk losing your hearing while enjoying this wonderful hobby. Wear the maximal protection you can afford. Once lost, your hearing does not return.

Quote Originally Posted by SnareMan View Post
    I've been using the Howard Leight L3 Nrr30 and they work very well
    http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...2343625&sr=8-8

I've been looking for something a little smaller and lighter but the L3's have the highest Nrr rating. I've found these which are 3x the price but only rated at a Nrr23 as most of the other besides the L3 seem to be
    http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...2342902&sr=8-1

The thing is that I don't know how much of a difference there is between 23 and 30. Can someone enlighten me? Are the Nrr23 perfectly fine or should I really stick with the 30?

The impact sports will be fine. You may want to double up with foam plugs if you shoot at an indoor range with larger calibers or if someone is shooting a larger caliber next to you but the Impact sports are great. Switched all of my Peltors to those.

I'm agree with the guys above. I too use the low profile 23 NRR unit, (which I really like) but always double up with foam plugs.
    Invariably, the guy in the next port over will be sighting in an AR or 300 mag.
    Without the extra protection, indoor ranges can be down-right painful.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Sponsor

foam plugs

I started with foam plugs, got me some big protection and went back to foam plugs, they seem to protect better, a friend of mine who is pediatrician says is because if you put sound protection over the auricle, which is the helicoidal funnel which is our ear, that funnel still will enhance (that is its function) any sound before it reaches the ear canal, to which I reply, "really?" to which he responded: "Cover one ear with your left hand and stick your pinky finger on the right, what do you hear?", "that's right" he said "the left ear is still really loud ha?"

GM
    IMO it makes a big difference. Nowadays I wear the following ear muffs along with the ear plugs:

http://j3wdf.9ecrg.servertrust.com/p...%20law-mil.htm
    http://www.practicalhacks.com/2010/0...on-the-market/
    Last edited by GM; August 23rd, 2010 at 07:12 PM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by ppmd View Post
    I find a huge difference exists between 23 and 30 NRR hearing protectors. I wear plugs as well when I wear the lower profile 23 NRR unit.
    Ditto, on all fronts. I figure that if my ears are able to pick up sounds and differentiate noise that others can't I'd better keep that ability! I also use plugs and earmuffs.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

When I use the ear plugs and ear muffs I can't hear a thing.

That combo seems to give me the best protection no matter what I'm shooting.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Just my .02:
    We raised a son that has a profound bi-lateral, sensori-neural hearing loss; he wears hearing aids most of the time, but even those are not perfect.
    In the 25 years of raising him, I've heard over and over and over -- do whatever you can to protect whatever hearing you have. The difference between 23 and 30 may not be noticeable now, but it could be very noticeable in a few short years, and then it could be too late.
    I'd vote for max protection while you can.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Thanks for all the replies. So given that there is a big difference between 23 and 30, why does there only seem to be one rated at 30 and a bunch of more expensive ones rated at 23? You'd think there would be more 30's to choose from. Where are all of the electronic ones rated at 30?

GM
    I guess that the answer could be "quality and brand". Those are NRR33:

http://www.reddotshooting.com/proear...goldnrr33.aspx
    http://j3wdf.9ecrg.servertrust.com/p...%20law-mil.htm
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    I do some indoor shooting but the majority is outside as a cowboy action shooter. I have used custom molded earplugs from EAR,inc. for a number of years. I can hear range commands if the RO is close but all other sounds are muffled.

Distinguished Member
    I have Peltors that are 29/30 depending which literature you read. Not electronic though and no thinner than your original set.
    Last edited by fastk9dad; August 24th, 2010 at 11:15 AM.

There is a huge difference between 23 and 30 NRR (db). Decibel is a parameter that represents 10 x the log of the power ratio between two 'sound' levels. Every 3 db represents a doubling (or halving) of the power. You will have 7db difference which is a factor of about 5. That is, sounds with the 30 NRR muffs will be about 1/5th as loud as those with 23 NRR. (log of 5 = .699; times 10 = 7db)

gun shots are typically about 140 +/- db. If you subtract 30 db of attenuation you are hearing about 1/1000 of that noise but it is still 110 db. Hearing loss can start to develop with sounds over 85 db. Repeated exposure is cumulative. Don't sacrifice your hearing. Use the higher attenuation and consider adding foam ear plugs under your muffs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links