Interarms PPK grips. WOOPS!

This is a discussion on Interarms PPK grips. WOOPS! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Picked up my new-to-me Interarms PPK. It's in incredible shape, and I got an incredible deal. I'm pretty excited. So what do I do? Clean ...

Thread: Interarms PPK grips. WOOPS!

Interarms PPK grips. WOOPS!

Picked up my new-to-me Interarms PPK. It's in incredible shape, and I got an incredible deal. I'm pretty excited. So what do I do? Clean and lube! Heres the problem. I got a little break free on the plastic grips, and basically melted the plastic. Now i've got a nice dime-size mess on each side of the grip.

Not a total loss, since I was planning on putting on some wood grips anyway. I'm looking at Hogue, and i've noticed that they look quite a bit thicker than factory. Does anyone have experience with a wood gripped PPK? I want to keep it as thin as possible.

2. Remove Ads

GM
    Congrats on the PPK, but I am sorry about the grips.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Melted the plastic with Breakfree? Are you sure you werent using hydrchloric acid? I have never heard of Breakfree harming plastic. Please elaborate more on this please.

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    which Break Free product do you use?? i use both Powder Blast and CLP and never had any problems like that...
    On slimming it down, Im looking to put Hogue Extreme Aluminum grips on my Sig p239 (see post) and take off the chunky rubber finger grooves I have on now, might look to see if hogue sells the aluminum grips for ppk? Someone on the Sig sight said they are super thin....also might take out on your melting issue with plastic...
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

VIP Member
    I picked up a nice set of wood grips for my Interarms PPK at a local gun show that are slightly thicker than the original plastic grips, nice improvement over the original grips and fill the hand better.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I have Hogue rosewood grips on my PPK/S. I don't have the old factory grips, but the Hogues appear to have the same dimensions. If they are thicker, it isn't by much.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I've used the liquid non-aerosol Break Free CLP with no problems, but the Powder Blast definitely says that it's a powerful solvent and to use caution around rubber and plastic. I keep it away from wood grip panels and rifle stocks, too. I believe it. It's some pretty harsh stuff. I have an early '80s Interarms PPK/s that's still going strong. No idea how many rounds have been through it as I picked it up used in 1994. Just finally got around to replacing the recoil spring with one from Wolff.

ed4

Thumbs up laser grips

anyone have crimson trace grips on an interarms ppk?
    K

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Melted the plastic with Breakfree? Are you sure you werent using hydrchloric acid? I have never heard of Breakfree harming plastic. Please elaborate more on this please.
    Never thought this thread would get new life...

It was Breakfree. I've used Breakfree forever. It has never harmed any of my guns in any way. I dont know what sort of plastic those PPK grips were, but they got trashed. I didnt spray them either. It was from a small amount of overspray from when I shot a little into the hammer spring. The "wet" area of the grips literally disolved. I wiped it off as quick as I could with a rag, and the plastic came off on the rag. Black streaks on the rag, and big worn out smooth spots from where the breakfree was wiped off.

That same can was used until empty on all of my other guns with no problems.

At least it gave me a reason to get these

ED4: Welcome to the forum. I've never used a laser on any of my pistols. Cant help there, sorry. Do a search up top as there is plenty of folks on here who use the CT grips. They would be more helpful.

Links