Defensive Carry banner

I found a diamond in the cornfields....

2K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  OD* 
#1 ·
We moved here to the cornfields of Indiana from Beautiful West Tennessee (I know what everyone is thinking, "WHY?". I know that is what a lot of you are thinking because that is what I have heard from every single person who has heard we moved from Tennessee to Indiana since we got here. I honestly ask myself that sometimes. But, that is not important to the story...) about 3 months ago. I had not found a gun store or range yet.

Our kids started school last week, but the week before that the elementary school had an open house so the parents could meet the teachers. We went and I met the mother and father of one of our kids classmates. The Dad and I got to talking and he is a gun guy as well. He told me about a gun shop not far from our little (and I do mean little) town named Guns & Ordnance. It is literally in the cornfields out in the middle of nowhere. He said it was a great place but I thought "How could it be out in the middle of nowhere?"

This morning, he and I went there. When I pulled up in front, in the gravel lot, the building was small and nondescript. I had very low expectations.

I went inside and was immediately blown away by what I saw. Guns everywhere. Holsters of all kinds on the walls. Rifles in two long racks on the floor. Hunting rifles, M-4's, AK clones, 2 Barrett .50 cal rifles. Behind the long counter, more rifles and shotguns of all varieties. The counter was the typical class enclosure with many, many handguns of all makes and models. Ammo on shelves on the sales floor. Apparel of all types. Hunting and fishing gear. This place had it all. And their prices are great.

I was shocked and happy that this little gun oasis in the middle of a sea of corn is only a few miles from my house!

All in all, this experience made the fact that I now live in Indiana instead of my beloved Tennessee just a little easier to accept. I think I will be spending a lot of time there.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very very cool! Glad you're making friends, getting the kids into schools, and settling in. Home is where you make it. :wink: Having a great gun shop close is even better! Congrats!

#4 ·
Now that is a good find! A good gun shop close by can make life a whole lot better!

Small town life can be an adjustment if you haven't lived in one before. I could never move back to a real city. Everyone gets invloved in community stuff like the local fair and we also have Heritage days and about half the town turns out for HS sports.

#5 ·
I grew up in a small town but have not lived in one this small ( less than 2000 people ) for about 25 years now. It's an adjustment to be sure. But it is growing on us slowly but surely. More slowly on me as I tend to resist change and my wife and kids kind of roll with changes much easier than I do.

#6 ·
Ah................................the cornfields. Indiana? Never know. I seriously took a look at a job in Iowa this past week. You never know when you'll find a sweet spot in the middle of somewhere noone never expected. I know all-too-well the relocation ordeal. Tired of it myself. But there always seems to be a diamond in the rough no matter how jaded we become. I'm awfully glad you've found something to boost your connection with what's most important to you. Best of luck!

#11 ·
Spent about 3 years in the cornfields up around Peru, a ways north of your area. Surprising what's hidden behaind those walls of green. Glad you've found something to ease the misery. I never did.

#14 ·
Good for you. You never know, things may keep getting better.

At least one thing about being in your new location, you don't have to worry about the continued decline of Memphis and the surrounding areas. I have to go there Labor Day weekend for my nieces wedding and am not looking forward to it one bit.

I have grown very accustom to small town life, albeit larger than 2,000 folks. :smile:

Enjoy your new find. Hanging out there will most likely put you in touch with folks who can find some activities for you, hunting, fishing places and the like.

#17 ·
I still miss Memphis and I will probably always consider the area home. I am just connected to it for some reason. And, I have faith that it will get better there. Apparently Indianapolis was pretty run down and in the same situation about 10 to 15 years ago and they have turned it around. Down Town Indy is very nice and feels amazingly safe. Though I still carry there of course.

And you thought you may hate it, if I remember correctly. Hope all goes well and you don't spend all of your savings at the shop, save a little.
I do still hate it. Don't misunderstand me. I am getting used to it, but I am still not happy about being out of the South.

looks like the atlanta thing did not work out. which tv station did you land at? any place is better than where you were at. good find on the gun store, hard to find old school gun stores these days.
WXIN in Indianapolis.

Spent about 3 years in the cornfields up around Peru, a ways north of your area. Surprising what's hidden behaind those walls of green. Glad you've found something to ease the misery. I never did.
I doubt I will either. I miss Tennessee every day. But, i am trying to not let it get to me. I'm here for a while at least. About the only thing I can see that would drive me back South fast (other than being laid off of course) is if winter really kicks my butt worse than I am expecting it to.

#15 ·
And you thought you may hate it, if I remember correctly. Hope all goes well and you don't spend all of your savings at the shop, save a little.

#16 ·
looks like the atlanta thing did not work out. which tv station did you land at? any place is better than where you were at. good find on the gun store, hard to find old school gun stores these days.

#19 ·
Well....You landed in the flat lands up north, too bad you aren't 50 miles south of Indy, you would find things more southern than many places in Kentucky or Tenn.

Just avoid Don's Guns like the plague in Indy.

#21 ·
I live in a small town in the mountains of Virginia....just don't think I could ever live in a large town again...or flat lands. There's something spiritual about the mountains. The sunsets, the fog settling into the contours of the mountains in the morning. The light and shadows playing colors off of the snow in the winter. I never tire at looking at them all around in amazement. I just don't think I could take flat all day every day.

Glad you found a good store close by. You'll probably meet a lot of folks that enjoy the same things. Good place to make friends. I hope everything else falls into place as well.

#22 ·
I think most people miss where they grew up or where they were from previously. I have lived in Ohio, with the exception of 3 years in the Army, since 1960, but in a way, I still miss Indiana, where I was born and grew up. I just returned from my 50th high school reunion--in Gary. I sure don't miss Gary as it is now, but I do miss it as it was in the 50s. Although we lived in the city, I spent most summers as a kid in small towns where my grandparents lived or on a farm with my aunt and uncle a couple of summers. When I grew up, just about everyone had guns in the small towns and taught their kids how to shoot. And Indiana today is more gun friendly and has better gun laws than many states.:wave:

#25 ·
Very insightful post. It made me realize I felt the same way about my hometown. I grew up in NC and I miss my hometown as it was when I lived there, but I sure don't miss it when I go back now. Two totally different places. Thanks or putting it that way.

#28 ·
They are just a little cheaper than that, $75 to the state of Indiana ($60 if you have a current Indiana license), and $50 ($40 if you have a current Indiana license) to your local police department or sheriff's office.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.